I got a 1360 on the SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: I got a 1360 on the SAT
By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Twice. Same scores in both sections.

Is it worth taking again? A 1360 isn't that impressive.

By Chen (Chen) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

YES. Definitely worth taking again. How can it hurt you? If you do badly, take it again, unless of course your aspirations aren't too high for college.

By Chen (Chen) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

YES. Definitely worth taking again. How can it hurt you? If you do badly, take it again, unless of course your aspirations aren't too high for college.

By T2opine (T2opine) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

If you feel that a 1360 doesn't accurately represent your abilities then I would definitely say take it again. But where are you planning on applying to college? A 1360 at a lot of schools is an average-high score.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

I was thinking BU, Columbia, NYU, UofC, Rice.

I have a perfect GPA and take AP/Honors, but my SAT's (and SAT II's, other than US Hist) haven't been spectacular.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

columbia with a 1360 is a dream.

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Nothing to lose by taking it again, But a 1360 is a fine score for any of your candidate schools.

By Mike (Mike) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

1360 for BU is not bad at all. I have a 1360 on first test and I am happy. My goal was 50th percentile at my top schols. If your SATIIs are not better try the ACT. If you have decent ECs, write a decent essay and add a 4pt you are not in bad shape. Relax after all you are in the top 5-10% of the countries test takers.

By Theuofcgirl (Theuofcgirl) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

I would agree with Mike, if you can't increase the SAT score (and you want to), take the ACT. Since I'm from the Midwest, the ACT was sort of pushed on me thanks to an annoying guidance counselor. Now, I should go back and thank her. I did much, much better on the ACT. Still, your chances at BU, NYU, U of C and Rice are good, even with your 1360, provided you back it up with good recs, a list of ECs and a killer essay. Columbia, Columbia may be a reach, but still.. there are definitely people at Columbia with an SAT lower than 1360. It's not *all* about scores, you know...

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

I'm a freshman at Rice, and I can tell you that many people here scored in the 1350-1400 range on the SAT (the case is probably similar at all the other schools you mentioned except Columbia, where most probably have 1400+). However, the valedictorian of my class had a 1360 and was waitlisted. So, if you feel you're more capable, take another shot at it. Just remember not to get so bogged down in test scores that you forget about the rest of the application!

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Yeah, I'm just going to try one more time, really put my nose to the grindstone and all that.

By Interested123 (Interested123) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

rubenizm, dude no offense but •••• off, your always such a pessimist. zephyrmaster theres a lot more involved in the admissions process than a sat score.

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

One senior at our school from last year is at Harvard now with a 1350 SAT after taking it several times. He wasn't a recruited athlete, and he isn't a minority. He got in on pure grades, character, and activities. Good luck and I hope you get into Columbia and all of those schools.

By Pinkfreud (Pinkfreud) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

zeph definitely take it over

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

"dude no offense but off,"
Isn't that in any way an oxymoror? No offense but •••• off?? And since when is being pessimistic bad. If you don't like pessimists, don't be one, trying to sound cool by cursing actually shows how much of a nerd you are. All failures were optimists: George Bush, Hitler, Mussolini Gorbachev, Yeltsin, and almost all other bad rulers were optimists. They were like...oooh we'll start economic growth! We'll conquer the world and kill off all the inferior people! We will be germany's bitch and do what they wanna do, Nu.......Ponimash...............[1 minute]........vse! etc. all were optimists but they failed at their goals.
And i repear cursing on an internet forum makes you sound like a complete loser.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

also cursing when you know that the word will be filtered makes you even MORE of a loser. I mean seriously, does it like make you feel as adult or something when you pretend to be cursing? And if it does, then why not curse in a way so the word isn't filtered? I mean serisously....

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:15 am: Edit

Now I don't think cursing on the internet makes you a "nerd" if you have a purpose (like you used the word bitch in describing "our" submission to Germany, it doesn't make you a nerd). Unless Interested123 was using curse words randomly to insult just because they are bad words, using curse words is perfectly ok if one uses them in a context. For example, the phrase Interested used was "•••• off", which is a way of saying "leave the topic/board". In this form, Interested isn't using random bad words in the wrong context just to sound "cool".

Anyways Zephyr, I have a 1360 on my SAT I (I'm retaking) and if your other areas are well rounded, then you have good shots.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:37 am: Edit

I hate you all. J/K

By Delirious (Delirious) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:48 am: Edit

I think you should try to raise your score and that at 1360 it still can be done, but Rubenizm...you're an absolute moron if you try to link poor national leadership with a single causality.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 03:11 pm: Edit

I am retaking.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Zephyrmaster,
You will need at least 1400 to stand any real chance at Columbia or Rice, and much higher than that to have good prospects. Take the test again, but also put most of your efforts on the BU/NYU level.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page