SAT Scores?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: SAT Scores?
By Geoff848 (Geoff848) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Ok lets say all other things being equal, if a person were to go from 1400 or so to 1500+ after tutoring, how much would the chances of getting into a top school be raised?

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

about this much:

(or so). The problem is, it all depends on the school, your other stats, legacy/minority status, etc. I don't think any of us claim to be experts, but we can try to help you provided that you help us by displaying your stats. Sure, going from 1400 to 1500+ will improve your chances, but with the info we've got, we can't really say anything else with any certainty (whether merited or not).

By Quakerboy2 (Quakerboy2) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 12:29 pm: Edit

It could raise your chances 100%, or it could raise them 0%. It really depends on your other credentials. If you're going to get in already, they it doesn't matter. If you have no shot, it also doesn't matter. If you are a decent candidate with nothing particularly special, it will raise your chances a little bit, but an average academic candidate with a 1400 will only be slightly worse off than an average academic candidate with a 1550. If you have great ECs and sub-par grades, it could be the difference between acceptance and rejection.

The problem with predicting chances is that you aren't really given a chance of getting in; you get in, or you don't. Nobody can really predict your chances because you only do it once. If you get in, the data says you had a 100% shot of getting into CalTech (or wherever).

Are you asking is it worth it to do this tutoring? If you are, I would say def. 100-150 points can give you a good edge if you have an otherwise good hook because it makes the adcom more confident that you can do the work if your hook is non-academic (e.g., 15 yr old founder of UNICEF is a great hook, but if they can't do the work at the school, Harvard still couldn't take them). If it is not going to make you go crazy or otherwise take away from your application in other ways, do the tutoring, and don't worry about the exact benefit.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Some of these What Are My Chances questions are ridiculous. There is no point in even posting something like: Would my chances be better if I got a 1500+ SAT as opposed to a 1400? First, obviously yes. Second, how the hell are we supposed to know when you give us no other info. Thanks for wasting my time.

By Diconoclastx (Diconoclastx) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Hmm nothing will improve your SAT score by that much when it is already that high.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page