Jews and Asians at Penn, Entire Ivy league for that matter.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Jews and Asians at Penn, Entire Ivy league for that matter.
By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

I'm applying to Penn ED. I recently ran in to a student from the school (asian). He said that I wouldn't get in because i'm irish catholic, but I assumed it would be a plus. He went off on the hubris laden asians and jews are smarter etc.. premise. I've heard that Penn is somewhere around 75% Jewish for the white population. I mean, i'm not racist but I would probably only hang out with WASPS, my last name is obviously catholic, but it's close enough. Does anyone now how big catholicism is there? I'm not pious at all, and i'm really extroverted, but I would feel "uncomfortable" being friends with an asian or jewish person. I mean theres too many cultural differences. Anyways, do you think i should denote something about a church, if it increases my chances of admission. I mean are all the ivies loaded with jews? I'd go to cornell if there were more people like me. Any help, I hope i haven't offended anyone.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

wow, you are a flaming racist.

"uncomfortable"? mention that in your essay, im sure they'd love to hear all about how you have a problem being friends with an asian or jewish person.

and yes, UPenn has a large jewish population, but its about 40%, other schools have higher.

on a final note, i am just amazed at this post. you are the reason that a lot of international kids are afraid of coming to the united states for an education.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:18 pm: Edit

I agree with Audrey1225, you're a flaming racist bastard. Excuse my language . . . but man, please don't apply to any elite school. You're the kid who ruins their reputation or the reputation of any school you'd attend except an Irish Catholic one. It would honestly suck knowing you in real life.

By Baykin (Baykin) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Just a hint for an Irish Catholic who believes all others beside your culture are inferior.

Watch your tongue.

By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:33 pm: Edit

I really didnt mean to •••• you all off. I was just asking if there were people like me at these schools! If it helps you, i'm gay so you can say whatever the hell you want about that.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

What the hell does you being gay have anything to do with your post? You think you can justify insulting peoples ethnicity because you're gay. What an idiotic sentiment. You shouldn't be posting on this site at all.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:24 pm: Edit

people like you.... hmmm.
You see it depends. If you mean people like you in terms of being flaming racists and feeling "uncomfortable" then no.

But seriously i think we're being too hard on him. Yes there are TONS of jews and asians at all good schools, and there are few people who feel "uncomfortable" with jews or asians. Mostly because often people at such schools are intelectuals and they don't dislike other cultures and respect them. And serisouly what the hell does being gay have ANYTHING to do with your question?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

chances are you can easily end up a roommate with a jew or asian. The probability is probably more than 50%. So either reconsider your views on other people, or you just might have to deal with a person you feel "uncomfortable" with for the next 4 years of your life.
"too much cultural difference"? isn't that what hiller said about the jews? lol

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Also you can't be gay AND irish catholic. That's like ...an oxymoron.
Seriously don't mention or imply that you're both because you'll sound stupid, you CAN'T be an irish catholic AND be gay. seriously...

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

/agree

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

wait what do you think of blacks?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

Just for kicks I'm guessing. The moron who posted this won't bother responding I bet.

By Neo (Neo) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Wow. That's just sick.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Basically if you want a school where different people don't like each other consider Bob Jones U. There interracial dating is banned. Any prestigeous school you go to will have lots of jews and lots of asians. Either apply to other schools with lower population of people you're "uncomfortable" with, or reshape your views. That is the only way you'll feel comfortable at a campus.
I'm wasting my time responding this because he was at least nice and didn't finish his post with "Heil Hitler" or something of that sort.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

posted twice because i'm using the shittiest $9 internet possible.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

lol

By Ml41588 (Ml41588) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Tlc3d i hope that you dont get into an ivy leauge school, or any school for that matter. people like you who don't want to be friends with any people of other races are depressing. more in college than anywhere else you learn to be friends with everyone bc u share thier interests not bc of their relgion, race, etc. someone who is a homosexual and has probably been harrased bc of his/her sexual orientation should be much more openminded and understanding to the differences of others.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Tlc3d,
In your other post you mention that you live in southwest Florida and that you were always out doing drugs or being at some raunchy place where people were shooting up in the next room. That made me wonder what sort of lawyer would have you as an intern. I also noticed when I clicked on your username that your name is Robert O'Hara.

There are a surprising number of people who sit on college AdComs that read these pages... perhaps they would be interested in putting together all the above information.

Good luck with your applications, Robert.

By Me1 (Me1) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

I think that you have a large chance of having problems wherever you go. You have to learn to deal w/other people at some time or other. I mean what if you land your dream job, but your boss/co-worker/whoever else is Asian or Jewish? And how can you say people are not "like you" just because of their race or religion? I mean maybe a Jewish or Asian person enjoys the same type of sports/activities/music/whatever (yes, I'm half Jewish & I listen to NORMAL music, join the NORMAL activities, etc.). Personally I think meeting other people would be good for you. I've always lived in a town w/a wide variety of races & religions, & I've found that the people I have the most in common w/are the people in the same activities as me, regardless of race & religion.

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Way to go, Tlc3d, you're a natural John Rocker. Once you get around to discriminating against ppl w/ brown eyes, whites, heterosexuals, blacks, and people w/ hair, you'll be golden!

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 01:56 am: Edit

You are the second person I have seen post this sort of "outlook" on these forums. One was by a mom (from FL too) who did not want to send her daughter to a summer program that my daughter happens to attend because she heard that some kids who attend are Jewish and some are gay. Her posts and actions (which I will not get into here) astounded me in this day and age. Now your post, though your post was put way more politely (well, I am being kind but basically you told your thoughts without nasty bashing). Anyway, your post also scares me as that mom's did cause it is still hard for me to believe such attitudes still exists today.

I am assuming your attitude comes from your own background...either how you were brought up and/or LACK of exposure to other types of people besides your own. I highly caution you against going to a top tier college. So much of the experience at these colleges is meant to have kids mix with a diverse cross section of society ethnically, geographically, culturally, socio-economically, and religiously. In fact, the top schools pride themeselves in buidling very diverse classes. The idea is to MIX with other types and learn from this experience both in and outside of the classroom. If this is not comfortable for you, you should not attend. You should be looking at schools with a religious affiliation or ones where there is a lack of diversity. I say this not cause I encourage such a setting but you are not ready for an Ivy setting with your lack of an open mind, let alone racist perspectives. It sounds to me like you just want Ivy at any cost, when a diverse student body like that at Penn does not MATCH YOUR INTERESTS!
Susan

By Y17k (Y17k) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 02:54 am: Edit

you guys can't be too harsh on him...

if he feels uncomfortable around jews/asians, but he doesnt openly attack jews/asians, im fine with that.

i admit, i am homophobic, which means that im uncomfortable around homosexuals, but i dont go around saying "you ••••••• faggot"... i know its bad, but i cant help the way i am... hopefully i can learn to accept these people as i mature ><

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 03:50 am: Edit

right on Y17k .

racism is overrated. It's natural to feel comfortable with people of your own background and culture. We should differentiate cultural awareness from overt racism.

to me, racism is an active dislike of somebody because of their culture, not a preference to associate yourself with people of yor culture.

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 10:59 am: Edit

I see college as an opportunity to broaden one's horizons. That means getting out of one's comfort zone both intellectually and socially.
I know someone (Irish Catholic) who'd never had a pizza before going to college in the 1980s, despite the fact that there were very substantial Italian-American communities near where he came from, and a pizza house at practically every corner of the town he lived in.
He counts his college years among WASPS, Jews, Asians, African-Americans, Hispanics, and many many foreigners as the best years of his life precisely because he got to meet so many people utterly unlike himself (and to learn to like different kinds of foods). They made him think almost as much as the classes he took and the books he read.
If you want comfort, stay home.

By Stressedkid (Stressedkid) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

I agree. If you can't be openminded to different people, college isn't the place for you. Hopefully this guy won't grow up to be Trent Lott.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

haha

By Chiangkaishrek (Chiangkaishrek) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:15 am: Edit

tlc3moron:
I hope you don't apply to any Ivy schools. I myself am one of the Asians at Penn. I do not see any problems with the Jewish students or the white student or the black students. YOu really have a narrow mind. LIke somebody said, you might be the next Trent Lott. Scram!

By Wharton1986 (Wharton1986) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 07:15 am: Edit

well................

i dont know if we can totally go all out and start bashing tlc3moron...

yea the guy is a pshyco.dude please dont say that your roman catholic cuz you give all other catholics like myself a bad name.

BUT...havent we all somtimes in your life conciously or sub conciously done something which proves that there is sense of fear or doubt towards another community cuz it still seems so different.

i mean you see a black on guy on tv being arrested and you think that every black guy out there is a criminal.

then would you want to be seated next to a muslim guy on a plane who wears a long robe ,is brown skinned,and has a beard??..

im guessing not many of you...

so leave the guy alone.let him decide what the right thing is.
he might get into an ivy but with an attiude like that,the world which has become a global village is gonna eat him up.

i bet the poor guy has registered another user name.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Good, the sucker needs a new one.

By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

wait just testing, thought I got kicked off.

By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Ok, sorry but I really didn't mean what I said, honestly. I am not a racist. I mean i've never been around jewish people or asians before. I'm good friends with hispanics and blacks though. I was just sort of mad because the asian person said that ••••. Im also not gay, I only said that so you might stop posting but i guess it really hasn't worked. I'm really embarrassed for writing this stuff. I didn't just do this to get everyone all riled up or whatever. Please don't post to this anymore, as I really couldnt care if i went to the university of isreal, or china state , what not.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

At least you acknowledge you were wrong to post. Next time don't run your mouth then slap it off.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

If you're uncomfortable with diversity, you might be happier at a school like Holy Cross, Notre Dame, Boston College, Providence College, or Villanova where there will be more than enough Irish Catholics to keep you company. However, it's sad to think that you'll miss out on the opportunity to expand your horizons and opinions before you get out to the real world. Good luck.

By Dan62887 (Dan62887) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

It is pretty ridiculous that Tlc3d has been verbally ravaged the way he has here. Many people (including myself) enjoy meeting new people and learning about other cultures. If they don't, a) that doesn't make them racist and b) they should be encouraged to go to a place that has a lot of diversity so they can learn more about other cultures. They can see for themselves what they think. If you tell someone who is uncomfortable outside of the group he is used to that he is a "flaming racist bastard" who should not get into an Ivy League school, this will perpetuate his ignorance. The fact is, if he has accomplished enough to be admitted to UPenn, he should go and experience what we are all saying he must. He will surely come to respect people of other cultures, and his problem will be solved. Why encourage him to go to Bob Jones University when he could reshape his entire life by experiencing new things?

In addition to all this, I should also justify my statement that he is not a racist. It was said that a racist has open dislike of other cultures. Tlc3d did not sound racist to me, he just sounded sheltered and relatively ignorant of other cultures. If i were him, I wouldn't want to experience what some of you are telling him, seeing as some of you jump down his throat just for saying he is comfortable with people like him. And even if he WAS a racist, I would still say he should go to a place like Penn and learn about other cultures. A problem like ignorance will never be solved if the people who are ignorant are treated as inferior jerks. Just as Jewish people and Asian people are equal to everyone else, people with little cultural awareness are equal. The point is that EVERYONE should experince something like the culture at Penn to bring out the best in them and create a better world.

By Gunarm4 (Gunarm4) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

I fully agree with Dan on this one, as I see Jewish students and my school tend to congregate with each other and no one else. That does not make them racists at all.

And Rubenizm, before you try to make a point, research your facts. Bob Jones University does allow interracial dating, that rule was abolished in 2000. People are too quick to jump on "racists" when he is merely telling the truth.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Merely telling the truth?? If this I heard this guy was uncomfortable around Jews and Asians and he went to my school, I would give him a reason to be scared of us! Why waste time and effort trying to reform losers? At this point in his life, he already has his opinions about us. I mean, Asians have unlimited motivation and dedication while Jews have ambition and good work ethic, why wouldn't he feel uncomfortable around us?

I guess he has a right to be "uncomfortable" around people with different cultures. I would be "uncomfortable" if I had to hang around rednecks...

He isn't sorry about what he said, but about insulting the Jews, Asians, and every other moral person that read his post. Now who's going to edit his essays for him???

"I really couldnt care if i went to the university of isreal, or china state , what not."

No worries about this guy going to Penn....he thinks China is a state. Not to mention that this guy thinks that gays deserve sympathy for their "unfortunate travesties."

What an all-around great guy!

Robert, do you have problems with physically and mentally handicapped people too? They make you feel "uncomfortable."

People like you are the reason that racism still exists. I only hope to one day meet you and get the opportunity to "educate" you.

By Baykin (Baykin) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

"then would you want to be seated next to a muslim guy on a plane who wears a long robe ,is brown skinned,and has a beard??..

im guessing not many of you... "

I hate the racist bastards in the government who started that image and are now attempting a fifth crusade. After nine eleven, I was called a terrorist by my fellow students simply because I am of Turkish descent. Shows how uneducated the populace is. Instead of trying to educate themselves they squander their time watching junk on TV. Advice to every racist redneck out there. Don't speak if you're too god-damned stupid to have any logic in your conversation.

By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

har har har har I guess since you took the time to write me, i'll reciprocate the thought.

Andrey: International Students would be afraid of me? Ha, no. If it all came to worse i'd probably just feel indifferent. I have vet and dont plan on commiting a hate crime or whatever you implied anytime soon.

Alimshk: Flaming racist bastard? ashamed to know me? I'd ruin a school's reputation? Sorry but I really can't see how you can get it from the first response.

Reubenism:That's a good point. The Jew roomate I think would be strange; I mean i'm open to new experiences but I would feel detached on the whole religion thing. But I could give it a try. Bob Jones University? I have never heard of it and suprised that such a place can exist. Yes, I do know blacks. Finally, I think it's funny you all think I am a disciple of Hitler, or what not.

MorganTruce: What buisness do you have publicizing me as a racist. You do not know me. What's worse is you say that I could not possibly have an internship with a lawyer because ive gone out partying? I mean i thought a considerable number of high schoolers get drunk all the time? I used to be in some 3rd rate greek system where we got trashed 24/7. I mean I lost direction but I really don't do that any longer.

Pistolpete: what your saying is a little extreme. I mean look at my third post. BTW I have brown eyes, though actually sort of hazel. I mean a few irish people do. im also not in some aryan brotherhood as you all seem to think.

I have a life, thats all i can respond to right now.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

You're an idiot. You do know that there are levels that one follows a faith. You could have a Jew roommate and not know it until Yom Kippur. Such a fool...

You got trashed 24/7 but not recently. Does this mean that you regularly got wasted at 13 or 14???

By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

P.S I don't think China is a state, as it was implied I only said that to say ive really gotten over the whole thing, i know longer care very much about this whole thing which is why i neither took the time to find out the names of international universities .

I mean i havent really been around asians that much, maybe i wouldn't feel this way if this was not the current state. I don't really know what causes my prejudice, I am saying in other words that I haven't been brought up in "enlightened" surroundings, as you all might have been. I say, I do know a really cool asian person (from Hawaii, dont know if that counts). But honestly when I think of an asian overachiever I think of some mindless drone doing hours of homework and ec's to get into a college which I feel I should unjustly have some sort of easy entrance into. It's probably rooted in the fact that i am probably jealous of asians, and their common desire and virtue to be so industrious, that I feel say, the majority of Irish kids will lose out in competition. As it is probable, I may go to an east coast school full of asians. I wish i could change my views, but I do find it difficult, being here in the south, constantly surrounded by a bevy of ethnic slurs. (I don't say them). I'm open to new things. Here's a deal. Whatever college I go to next year, should a Jew or Asian contact me, I will try to be affable.

By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

last comment, i stopped acting wild and began it sophomore year. which i would be 16 years of age. I unfortunately lack the common sense to back down in an argument, which is why i continue to respond.

Peace, I have a big ap calc test on thurs.

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Your environment doesn't justify your sentiments. I'm glad that you'll "try to be affable" to Jews and Asians next year (sarcasm). It seems that you are trying to be logical--I'll give you that. But, man, you've just convinced me not to ever venture south. I thought we had progressed since 70 years ago. Your last post continues to be racist and stereotypical. I pity you and your family/environment for your ignorance. I hope you get some sense knocked into you though.

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

<This conversation has gone about as far as it can go in its quest to find some redeeming merit. Therefore, I'm closing it. Personally, I would find it very uncomfortable to have the OP as a roommate.>

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page