Define "research work"

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Define "research work"
By Yaearb (Yaearb) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:23 pm: Edit

I have heard many times in this form about people doing research, but I don't understand how can a high school student do real research???(No labs no equipment no money not enough knowledge to build upon...)
I also donít understand why would someone who has already done real research want to go to college?
Or can research mean only helping in on project/reporting about it for a newspaper?

I have written a work for the technion's chemistry contest (Iím already mentioning it in "Honors" since I won it) but it was not original research but a summery of other people's work.
Does that count as a research report?

By Geoff848 (Geoff848) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

did u research their work? then yes. obviously thats not the sam research that high level professors due but its still a research report

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

I wouldn't call it research, by what you've said (maybe I'm missing something). I've done research under the guidance of a post-doc at a university (that's how most people do it, helping, or under the guidance of someone). Its research if you can confidently submit A a synopsis of what you've done to the adcom, to be judged by a professor in the area of your research.

By Willis (Willis) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

I've done actual research. Did a study on comorbidity factors associated with Heptatis C, got accepted to National conference in baltimore. DId another on incidence of colorectal cancer in eastern kentucky. And NO, I didnt "assist" another professor to do it. I am the primary and presenting author, and i conducted the studies under the supervision of my uncle and the advice of an epidemiologist. So YES, you can do real research, even if it just means "number-crunching" (meaning that you dont really conduct an experiment, just pull facts and figures and analyze them in a differnt way). Go talk to some doctors.
By the way, I'm really really hoping that getting accepted to nat'l conference for research will increase my chances to yale, upenn, nwu, and jhu.

By Yaearb (Yaearb) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

thanx for the input

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page