Please Help me with my List of colleges, Very much appreciat

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Please Help me with my List of colleges, Very much appreciat
By Misterbobbit (Misterbobbit) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:15 am: Edit

I'm an Asian American Senior at one of the top public schools in MA (as ranked by Boston Magazine).

Grades:
Sophomore year:
Honors Math - B-
Honors English - B-
Honors Chemistry - B+
Honors Computer Programming - A-
French - A-
History- A-

Junior Year:
AP Biology - A
AP Computer Science - A
Honors English - B+
Honors French - B+
Honors Math - A-
History - A-

Overall GPA (weighted): 3.83/4.5

SAT (retaking in oct but so far):
Verbal : 690, Math: 690, Composite = 1380.

SATIIs:
Math IIC: 780
Writing: 720
Biology: 710

I don't have any community service or work experience, but that is because I devote 28 hours a week to swimming on a USS club program (roughly 5 hours a day M-F and 3 on Sat).

I am very close to being recruited, and my coach (who has had kids recruited to Upenn, Princeton, Columbia, etc) is happy to go to bat for me to the schools I'm applying to. I'm not sure how much this helps.

I am, however, Business Manager of the school newspaper.

I am looking at the following schools. Please give me any opinions and thoughts:

Safeties:
NYU
BC
USC

Ballpark:
UChicago
Carnegie Mellon
UMichigan

Reaches:
Duke
Columbia
Williams
UCBerkeley
MIT (real reach)

Early Decision: UPenn (probably SEAS if I don't get recruited)

By Theuofcgirl (Theuofcgirl) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

You have some great schools on your list.. but I see one little problem. Your safeties aren't really safeties. NYU and BC have loads of applicants and you may want to consider them ballbarks instead of safeties. Maybe you should consider some smaller, liberal arts colleges as safeties? Just a suggestion.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:25 pm: Edit

i think that those Bs are really gonna hurt you, and (this is just my opinion) you probably wont get into your reaches except maybe williams. but i could be wrong! : )

By Haon (Haon) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Williams is more selective for non-legacy, non-minorities, non-recruits than any of the other schools on his list...
He doesnt' sound like a legacy, URM, or a recruit (close doesn't count, sorry) so I wouldn't count it as a sure bet at all.

However, it's definitely worth applying to the colleges you have... you have a shot (even if it's not a great shot). Personally I'd add more matches and cut some of the reaches because you're aiming pretty high.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page