I'm a JUNIOR in HS, what are my chances?!?!?!?!?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: I'm a JUNIOR in HS, what are my chances?!?!?!?!?
By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 04:09 am: Edit

Hi,
Im in my junior year at high school, and I just wanted to know how well I should try to do rest of this year/ senior year to get into the schools I want. My profile:
GPA: 3.8 ish (As and Bs freshman, As sophomore, and so far As this year).

SAT: I got a 1200, retaking, aim is 1350 (gonna take a class, I think) should I even take ACTS?!?

SAT IIs: Havent taken them, but I'm gonna. Writing, math, and french probably. (what should I aim for???)

ECs: co-pres of french club, co-pres of honors irish student union, member of sunday sandwiches, was on the basketball team, now on the golf team, did odyssey of the mind (OM). (I probably need more)

senior year im taking AP english, AP calc., AP French, AP environmental science, spanish 4, and civics+economics. Im not taking any APs this year (Im taking math analysis, spanish 3, french 4, junior english, chemistry, US history). Im also not sure what percentile of my grade im in.

The schools I want to go to are:
NYU, U of Southern California, Boston College/ University, UCLA, UNC @ Chapel Hill, U of Virginia. PLEASE RESPOND!!!!! : ) and be BRUTALLY HONEST!

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

anyone?!?

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

get your sats up to at least 1350-1400, take a practice ACT(who knows, you may do better) and keep the gpa at about the 3.8-4.0 unweighted and I'd say you would be pretty safe, but I'm no authority.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

thanks for the advice! : )

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

anyone else?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

whats the equivalent ACT score to a 1350 SAT?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

bump!

By Danoeire (Danoeire) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 01:57 am: Edit

honestly, im not too sure on UVA, UCLA, or Chapel Hill. but the rest sound OK. youre best bet of the three aforementioned schools would probably be UCLA (but im guessing youre an instater because of ur name "cali-dan") ur stats are impressive... keep up the good work!

By Calidan (Calidan) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 10:34 am: Edit

bump.sry

By Calidan (Calidan) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

bump

By Calidan (Calidan) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 01:10 am: Edit

anyone else? please?!?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

please?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

c'mon...

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:43 am: Edit

<Please don't bump your thread more than once per day, it clutters the board. If people have something to say, they will say it. In fact, you won't be able to stop them. Your thread might get more replies with the name of the schools in the title.

--Moderator Obiwan>

By Kcg (Kcg) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

heres where i think you should go:
reaches:
NYU
Brown
UCLA
UC berkeley

target:
USC
UCSD

oh-also stop "bumping" yourself.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

do you live in california?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

yeah, i live in california. its great : )

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:32 pm: Edit

You certainly can apply to all the UC schools with one application and get your safeties out of the way. As far as UVa, UNC and some of your other choices, be aware that they are true stretch schools for you because your SATs are in the lower quarter and you are out of state. All of the schools you mentioned are hard to get in even with stellar stats. Without SAT2s and AP scores, it's hard to tell where you stand.
As far as your ECs go, it's not that you need more. Alaundry list will not help you. Try to get some depth in there and develop one of your interests so that it becomes a meaningful activity. Colleges really don't care to see long lists of activities. They look to see how much you put into what you do and how original, meaningful, etc it is. That can become the all mighty hook, so to speak. Being from California, might spark some geographic interest too since the schools you are listing are east coast. But with scores and grades at your current range, I suggest you look at Ohio University,University of Maryland, University of Delaware, University of Connecticut,George Washington, University of Richmond, College of Charlston and schools in that range. All excellent schools but with a wider SAT range. There are ever so many others. My friend's daughter did not get into UNC Chapel Hill or UVa with stats similar to yours but did get into University of Georgia, Ohio State, and University of MD. Her older sister had slightly higher stats and did not get into UVa or Chapel Hill either and they are legacies, though out of state. Just to give you some idea of the competitiveness of admissions at those two schools. Good luck to you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page