Trying to get into good UCs......maybe 6 year med program...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Trying to get into good UCs......maybe 6 year med program...
By Jnniechcrn (Jnniechcrn) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:36 am: Edit

Hey there. Im a senior in califonia and im fixated on becoming a doctor. Ive been looking at 6 year BS/MD programs and i think that they are a good opportunity though i dont think i have the grades to get in. i want to know if i can get into good UCs [ie UCSd UCB UCLA] or any good school that would prepare me for the MCATs and Med school. here are my stats and thanks for the input.

SAT: 1170 [sucks but im taking it again in a month]
V: 570
M: 600

SAT2: verbal 620 math 540 [taking that again] and history 680. im going to take the chemistry part in december. i should have taken it instead of the history. stupid mistake.

GPA: 4.13
APs: us history, euro history, chemistry, physics, literature, cal A/B, spanish, gov, econ

Activites: cross country, track, president of California Scholarship Foundation 2 years, interact member, mock trial

By We_The_Ppl_Fire (We_The_Ppl_Fire) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Really try to pull your SAT score to at least high 1300s and your SAT IIs to high 600s. The tough UCs generally expect admits to have those kind of numbers, and especially if you're becoming a doctor, you need to show exceptional performance in Bio and Chem. Your GPA is fine. You should get an internship that shows your passion for medicine too.

By Covalentbond007 (Covalentbond007) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:51 pm: Edit

I've only seen 7 year BS/MD programs. Anyway, these programs are ultra competitive. The one at my school had a SAT average of 1500. Does the 6 year programs you are looking at require you to take the MCAT or do they give you a free pass to their med school after you complete the BS reqs?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page