Taste is an excercise in values, PLEASE HELP...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Taste is an excercise in values, PLEASE HELP...
By Therefused04 (Therefused04) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:47 am: Edit

Greetings Folks,
I'm not posting here to gain confidence in my chances of admission, I just want to know what my realistic chances are...I appreciate your honesty, but don't want to be anyone's punching bag. Thanks...

School Rank: 26 out of 120 (very competitive class, my rank is low because I took on too much and ended up with a 3.0 and have been busting my chops since.)

GPA/Classes: 3.5 (with a 4.00 & 3.88 last year)...8 honors & 2 AP. There's only 5 AP courses at my school as of now. I'm taking ROTC 4, Humanities, Government, and Religion 4 for honors. AP English Literature. Journalism and Pre-Cal.

SAT/ACT: 1220(510m, 710v). ACT was a 29. I'm taking the SAT II in Writing, Literature, and US History.

Awards/Whatevers: ROTC Honors Wreath for being in the top 10% of ROTC class. National Young Leaders Conference. National Honor Society. I suck in this department.

ECs: Rifle Team (9-12)-Captain (11-12)
Track Lettermen (9)
Student Council-Treasurer (9), Secretary (12)
Montgomery Bell Academy Invitational in Nashville, TN (10)
Junior Olympics 3-P in Atlanta, GA (9-10)
Texas State Junior Olympic Champion (10)
American Legion State Champion (10)
Civilian Marksmanship Program ROTC Champion (10)
Amnesty International (10,12)
Habitat For Humanity (10-12)
Contributing Writer for Yearbook and Newspaper (10-12)
Loads of articles in numerous non-school publications (10-12)
Living in Faith Experience (9 day leadership retreat)
Campus Ministry (10-12)- Leader (12)
Service Project Leader (12)
ROTC PA Officer (12)
Science Club-Vice President (12)
Newspaper Section Editor (12)
Year Book Staff (12)

Recs: Should be very good-excellent.
Essays: Excellent according to those who have edited them.

I'm applying to NYU, Columbia, Notre Dame, and Boston University. I'm from the Southwest if that matters. I want to major in Philosophy and study abroad at least twice. How am I looking so far? What do I need to focus on? Do you know any good scholarships? Once again, I really appreciate this, and your input. Paz...

By Therefused04 (Therefused04) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

teh bump

By Theuofcgirl (Theuofcgirl) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:23 am: Edit

I'd say that you're fit would be Boston University; you should be okay with that application. NYU may be a fit, may be a reach - it depends on which school you're applying to / what major you have. As for Columbia, it's definitely a reach; hell, it's a reach for some people with perfect scores and grades. Do well on those SAT IIs, though. Notre Dame, I know nothing about.

For all of the apps, make sure that you highlight the ECs that would make you different from all of the other applicants - things like ROTC, some of the campus ministry things, the olympic-y things - as well as stress the things you've been the most dedicated to and involved with. Remember that GPA isn't everything; they will look at your grades against your schedules from year to year, looking at how you challenged yourself. Your 3.5 is not that much of a disaster at all, really. If you worked hard for it, you should be proud of it. You also have to write unique and shining essays (yes, I know that I have a habit of telling everyone that); the essays are what let the admissions officers see you as more than just a name on a piece of paper. If you can interview and are comfortable doing it, that may help your chances too. Best of luck to you!

By Therefused04 (Therefused04) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Thank you so much for your input. My schools of choice would be NYU or Notre Dame, simply because It's been my goal to attend either of them. I am going to major in Philosophy/Theology, or possibly Sociology. My career plans have NOTHING to do with what I will major in. I basically just want to learn about what interests me in college, and travel the world in those 4 years. If anyone has anything else to say, feel free.

By Therefused04 (Therefused04) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

teh bump again

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page