High school you go make a difference?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: High school you go make a difference?
By Ahlawahed (Ahlawahed) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:33 am: Edit

I am just wondering, do colleges look very much at the High School you go to because there are so much people giving stats that are over qualified for these top colleges. People from my high school get in to Stanford with 4.2 weighted GPA and 1500 SAT, some with 4.0 weighted GPAadn 1400 SATs. Same with ivys. However my highschool (public in california)ranks in probably the the top 10 in the U.S. well it used but still is in that category. Also, we have famous alumni from our school, does that make a difference, i mean like Hewlett from Hewlett PAckard, or was it packard, (who attended Stanford also), Founder of Gap, the youngest man on the Supreme court today, and more. Is this included by the high school wen they send the transcript.

Btw, how can you people in your high school take like 4 AP classes in their sophmore year don't you have prerequisites or you just sign up.

By Aurelia (Aurelia) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:30 am: Edit

Lowell High School?

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:43 am: Edit

The high school you go to can make a slight difference, according to two college admissions books I've read. If a college is not familiar with your high school's grading policies, they said it will be tough to discern if your achievement level is on par with other top students applying to the same college. Simply put, a top 1% rank in one school is different from another.

I heard that at Duke, students applying from the most elite high schools in the country rarely receive a 5 out of 5 on rigor of courseload...it's because some of their classes are not labeled AP (to enforce the notion that classes should be about learning instead of focusing in on tests). Also, if a student takes the most rigorous schedule in the school, grades often suffer because the classes are extremely hard. With the majority of the teachers having graduated from Ivies and Ivy-equivalent colleges themselves, it would be hard to imagine the workload being easy. It really is hard to achieve at a high level at these prep schools...even harder than I imagined (and official classes haven't even started yet...I just base my judgment on mock classes and homework that I took part in). I don't know how exactly to describe the academic rigor in these schools...well, students deal with very challenging, knock-your-brains-out material supplemented by an hour's worth of homework per subject a night. Most of our kids come here with straight-A records. Only 1 in 10 maintains the A average...the rest get Bs, Cs, and Ds. It's really scary to think about it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page