Do EC's really matter?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Do EC's really matter?
By Whatever17 (Whatever17) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:47 am: Edit

I came to the states about 6 yrs ago and where I came from if your grades were good and test scores were good..in other words if u were a good student you'd get into any university. The only thing that mattered in ur application were ur stats..no essay needed, no questions about race and sh1t like that.
All the people I know from my school are involved in many activities for one reason only college application and I bet that goes for everybody out there. Sure maybe there are a few people that really love to go voluntter at hospitals and stuff like that but the majority of ppl just do it for college. Am I the only one that thinks this is fukd up? I mean I get straight A's, rank 1, high SAT score but I dont volunteer...I think of myself as very practical..why go help old ppl at hospitals and volunteer at "I dont know what" when I could go home and watch TV or go hang out with my hommies or do whatever the heck I want.
And whats with all these minority things...how does it really matter if u are indian or asain or black or Russian or whatever...the way I see it is if are smart colleges should accept you..after all I go to college to get an education not contribute in any way to the school.
Does anyone else have the same opinion as me? Personally I'm outraged at how ridiculous the applications are. Instead of analyzing ur academics...which not everyone can do well in, they ask if u volunteered for anything as if not every bum of the street could volunteer for stuff.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:58 am: Edit

See ad-coms DO NOT want to know that. There are enough students in the US and the WORLD who care jsut about school. As common as they are, most students who follow something other than their grades and SAT's are highly regarded. In the case of Harvard, yale, and other top institutions, those activities need to be VERY dedicated to on behalf of applicants, and usually they aren't your hospital volunteering, soccer, NHS kids. Sorry but that's the way it works. Do you know why?
Most kids who apply to HYP already have great grades/Scores. It's the activities, recs, and eesays that set them apart.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:01 am: Edit

With all due respect, I truly feel that the college admissions criterion is appropriate enough so that each applicant is judged based on his/her academic performance as well as the individuality which distinguishes one applicant from another. To succeed in this world, you have to have a passion for something...and colleges like to see students who are deeply committed to some things. The most selective colleges like to admit students who are deeply committed to something or some things. It's nice to have some volunteer experience, but colleges don't actually require you to volunteer excessively if that's not what you're interested in. Do you know they look for well-lopsided kids as well? They admit math whizzes, junior historians, future Picasso's, rising Mozarts, and so forth. If your passion lies in music, you need not volunteer excessively (you just need some experience in it). There are actually enough students out there-who are academically qualified enough and who are committed enough to their interests- to actually fill the seats at the most selective colleges.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page