What if...?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: What if...?
By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

If I graduate with these stats, what would be my chances at these colleges: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, University of Chicago, Stanford, Brown, and Columbia:

-4.0 UW GPA at Milton Academy (which typically sends 40% of each graduating class to the Ivies alone... not including MIT, Stanford, U Chicago, Northwestern, Duke, etcetera); no ranking
-most rigorous course schedule
-1450 SAT
-founding member of "Teens with a passion" (TWAP) which works with disadvantaged youth in inner-city Boston to help find their interests and pursue them...some of whom gained state recognition.
-founder of "coach spelling bee program" for inner-city disadvantaged youth...where some of the kids have been national spelling bee qualifiers as a result of my intensive coaching.
-1st place, National History Day exhibit
-Emerson Prize winner, The Concord Review for published history paper
-recruited 800 kids to apply to A Better Chance, a program which attempts to place gifted, minority kids into the nation's most prestigious high schools like Andover, Exeter, and Milton.
- A Better Chance Leadership Council...works with CEO of major corporations for possibility of receiving funds...representative of the Midwest.
-in the process of working on a book...200 pages completed so far (does it really have to get published? what if you tell them your research takes 10 years and you still have to continue in college?)
-founder of history club at Milton...has brought 9 prominent (as in Oprah and the head of the history department at Harvard) speakers to campus.
- founder of program which brings prominent speakers to disadvantaged schools
- member, Philippine Dance Company of Boston...performs throughout various sites in New England including Harvard, Princeton, some prep schools like Milton, and so forth.
-mentorship with Harvard professor for three years
-succeeded in lobbying senators to nationally and officially establish and honor "NATIONAL HISTORY WEEK"

Basically, the unifying theme of my application will be: I was once a disadvantaged youth who, after being given a scholarship to a prep school, was able to hone my talent in history (concord review published author of a research paper, national history day champion, in the process of authoring a historical book, mentorship with Harvard professor for three years, founder of school history club, lobbied senators to honor National History Week). My community service is helping other disadvantaged youth rise from the horrid inner-city lifestyle which at one point in time I was part of (recruiting 800 kids for A Better Chance, coach a spelling bee program, twap, leadership council head as representative of the midwest region, established program to help bring prominent speakers to disadvantaged inner-city schools). Then to keep in touch with my cultural side, I perform for the Philippine Dance Company in Boston...and I try to enrich my school community with my Filipino heritage.

My teacher recs will talk about how I'm so engaged in the classroom and how I enrich the classroom experience with my Filipino and at the same time with my inner-city perspective. Very unique personality. One of the best students ever encountered in teaching career (remember this is at a topflight prep school).

Excellent essays.

So if I have all those credentials, please rate my chances at the aforementioned colleges. Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

eleventy-two

By Peterkitts (Peterkitts) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

hahahahahaha

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:25 am: Edit

hey pistolpete...what does that mean?

By Dkm (Dkm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:40 am: Edit

u will make it to most skools on the list

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:07 am: Edit

thanks dkm for your opinion...i really appreciate it.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

i'm really stressed out right now because school starts tomorrow for us.

any others who have an opinion on the matter?

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

please....i need your opinions.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

No chance in hell. Sorry.

By Vegangirl (Vegangirl) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Gian,
out of curiousity, how close are you to actually achieving these stats (probably won't get a response on this since it's an old topic, but I thought i'd try)?

By Vegangirl (Vegangirl) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

bump.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page