Can i get into mit?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Can i get into mit?
By Justinfiddler (Justinfiddler) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

can i get into mit?

i go to a rural school in MAINE
gpa 4.0(honors weighted 104% more and i have few B+)

i'm top 10% in my school only 160 people.
school doesn't rank.

sat:1380
ap world history:4
ap chem:4
ap comparative gov:3
ap english lit:2
(a teacher volunteered to write a letter to counter my ap comp gov grade.)

taking three sat 2's this year

i'm taking ap calc, ap world history, ap psychology this year. and i'm taking 3 computer science classes at the university of southern maine.

awards:
robotics medal, national science merit award nominated by chem teacher, national honor roll, top 95% in american math contest, participated in science olympiad. got 2nd place in school
( i might be in national honor society this year)

activities:
school orchestra. youth orchestras. district orchestra(i was the assistant concertmaster). (maybe state orchestra this year) french club, math team, robotics team, key club, recycling team, 70 hours of community service

work experience: i worked freshamn and sophmore year at a bagel store for 8 hours a week and more in the summer.

for junior and senior year, i worked 10 hours at my family restaurant.

if i'm not good enough to make it in right now, what can i do because i really want to go to mit

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

pray

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 08:18 pm: Edit

What grade are you in? You need to raise your stats overall. For MIT, SAT scores should be in the 1500s. Your AP scores are on the lower end too. From your list of extracurriculars, it's sort of difficult to see where your passions lie. I see music primarily as your strong point. It'd help also if you had a hook of some sort, perhaps in science/math, and had some leadership experience. National honor roll and many times, NHS, are frowned upon. Of course you stand a chance though. Work hard-I hope this helps.

By Justinfiddler (Justinfiddler) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:23 am: Edit

national honor society is frowned upon?

i can't take sat again

but what if i get high scores in sat 2 writing, math, and chem.

will it make up for my 1380?

also, if i do early decision, does it improve my chances?

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

NHS frowned upon, isnt that like a club, except certain people get in?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

oh btw i read that maine, vermont and some of the other states noone lives in, are looked on much more favorably.

By Justinfiddler (Justinfiddler) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

favorably?

i know what you mean. the schools here are crappy, and the average sat is the lowest among all the states.

does anyone know how many mainers are accepted to mit?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page