Is STANFORD likely?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Is STANFORD likely?
By Skiesofamber (Skiesofamber) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:35 pm: Edit

I would totally love to go to stanford, it's my top choice. here's my stats:

I'm a senior at a really good public school in Michigan. I live in a pretty wealthy area of the suburbs. I'm a girl, and my brother is entering his sophomore year at stanford.

GPA
My GPA weighted is a 4.55 and unweighted is a 3.976. Out of forty-two semester grades, I've had one B+, and all the rest As and some A-s.

HONORS/APS
-Grade 9 - 2 honors classes (all that was available) out of 7
-Grade 10 - 4 honors classes out of 7
-Grade 11 - 4 AP classes, 2 honors classes out of 7
-Grade 12v - 4 AP classes

ALSO...
I'm taking an independent study in genetics, teaching myself with a college book, writing thesis papers, and communicating with genetics professors from various local colleges.

SCORES
-1590 SAT (800M/700V) first time
-780 math IIc, 780 bio, 760 writing
-AP tests: macroeconomoics, 3 (ICK! that sucked!) micro, 4, environmental science 4, biology 5

RECS
-My recs should be pretty good. One of them will be my science teacher whom I had for biology freshman year, AP environmental junior year, and my independent study sponsor this year. I'm hoping this will help, because he can emphasize my academic curiosity and such. The other will be my English teacher, who really likes me a lot. I got an A- in her class, but it was really tough. Only one person got a regular A. Do you think it will look bad having a teacher whose class I got an A- in write a rec for me?

ECs
-track 9, 10, 11 (varisty level)
-cross country 11, injured for the season (multiple stress fracture*s*)
-dance 9, 10 (20 hrs. a week)
-The Rock (religious school sponsored group) 9, 10, 11, 12 (leader in 11 and 12)

WORK
I baby-sit on average about five hours a week. In the summer, I lifeguard for thirty hours a week on top of that.

VOLUNTEERING
-Special Olympics (helping kids swim and lifeguarding)
-I did 40 hours at a school for severely mentally and physically handicapped children.
-30-50 hours at the public library

MY "HOOK", I GUESS
-I participate in an international organization promoting peace and understanding worldwide. For this organization, I went on a month long international camp in Brazil at the age of 11. This summer, I went on a month long international seminar in sweden, where teenagers from around the world come together to discuss global issues and cultures. This will DEFINITELY be in my essay!

AND THE VERDICT...
So? What do you think?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

"-1590 SAT (800M/700V) first time"

I don't understand.

By Geoff848 (Geoff848) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

yeah i dunno cuz i only got 740 math, but wouldnt 800 and 700 be 1500? well either way, u have a decent shot, just apply EA.

By Yellowcurtain (Yellowcurtain) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

No. They don't like people who can't add.

Ha. Ha. I'm joking.

They probably do.

By Manowar (Manowar) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

800 Math?..................
and u cant add 800 and 700 hmmmmmmmmmmm

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Heh, I did the same thing typ(o)ing in my scores a couple months ago. For future reference, 690 + 630 != 1520...

By Ahlawahed (Ahlawahed) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Of course you can get in!

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

i really doubt your chances. I mean what's the guarantee you add your 800 and 700 right on your application?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

"I would totally love to go to stanford"

I TOTALLY don't like the extent of immaturity in that sentence.

REJECTED!

By Asndfkas (Asndfkas) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 07:40 pm: Edit

you people are so cruel. you know you just dont want this girl to apply cuz she's such strong competition. same here.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page