I want to have my choice of colleges.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: I want to have my choice of colleges.
By Battyh33 (Battyh33) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

I am not sure what colleges I want to go to but I would like to have a good chance of basically everything. I am currently a freshman in HS in Northern California. I am am taking Advanced English,Geometry,spanish,Frosh health(required), PE(required) and Yearbook. Is this a good start? What else can I do so I will be able to get into good colleges.

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

You need to start participating in ECs. Find a few things that interest you and stick with them. If you can be organized enough and motivated enough to get going on these things as a freshman, that's going to look good. Make sure you take the hardest courses you feel you can handle. Also, start thinking about what kinds of colleges you would like to attend (e.g.; liberal arts vs. universities, rural campuses vs. urban, small undergrad. pop. vs. large, etc.). By your junior year you should have a list of about 20 colleges to work with. Check course requirements to make sure you meet all requirements for all the schools to which you're applying. Don't be complacent. Always challenge yourself within the context of the courses available to you; earn the best grades possible. Start developing personal relationships with your teachers (these will come in handy when you need good recommendations). But that's really all you need to do. ;)

By Haon (Haon) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 03:18 pm: Edit

ECs are your absolutely most important thing for admissions.
Pick 1-2 ECs and participate seriously and passionate in them. Sports and Music are a great combination. Keep your academics up and commit yourself to several serious ECs and you'll have a good shot.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page