What would my chances be if...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: What would my chances be if...
By Cassia (Cassia) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

I have these stats:

Black female senior residing in Atlanta suburbs
Attend high school with an SAT avg of 1000
-SAT score:1550
-SAT II: Writing-780 Math IIC-740 US His- 770
-AP Tests taken: Chem -4
W. His - 4
US His - 5
-Taking 4 APs this year, including AP Calculus
-National Merit Semi-finalist
-Honor Roll for A average students for 3 years of high school
-Top 5% of class (about 700 students)
-President of French Honor Society (French 3 and up students with A average)
-French Club 3 years
-Nominated for Governor Honors program in French
-Placed 16th in state (out of 500-600)on National French Exam sophomore yr, placed 8th in nation junior yr
-Won a Scholastics Art and Writing Award
-Key Club 3 years
-Babysat for $70 a week summer after sophomore yr
-Summer after junior yr worked 25 hrs a week @ Barnes and Noble, where I continue to work. Also, candystriped at local hospital for entire summer and am still doing so.
-Excellent essays and great recs
-Hobbies include Fashion Design (spend 5+ hrs a week on this) and writing
-Major: Molecular Biology, Minor: French or Art

Interested in Stanford, Rice, Pomona, UCLA, and the Ivies except for UPenn and Dartmouth. My safeties are GA State and UGA.

Please assess my chances! Thank you in advance.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

"Black female senior residing in Atlanta suburbs
Attend high school with an SAT avg of 1000
-SAT score:1550"

You could have stopped right there: you'll get in anywhere in the country.

P.S. The average SAT score at your school is completely irrelevant.

By Cassia (Cassia) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Alright. I provided the SAT average to give you an idea of how competitive my school is, but I guess that does not matter. Thanks for your opinion. I would like some more feedback please from others!

By Ceetotheizzle (Ceetotheizzle) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

yea he's right.. you will get in anywhere in the country. 1550 SAT alone is rare.. but it looks super impressive if your AFrican American ( sorry if i'm being offensive..its sad but true... thats America for you.) You'll get in anywhere you want.. i mean anywhere.. Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanfords... etc, probably even many honors programs like Brown PLME, Northwestern accelearted med. You pick the school.. the school does not pick you. ( there's proabably only like 10 African Americans in the nation with scores like yours.) I mean as soon as they see the African American check and the 1550 Sat.. they will stamp the approve thing. Now scholarship money is a different thing.

By Masamune707 (Masamune707) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

ur chances at stanford r reli good..but of course its a toss up when it comes to ur essays altho im confident ur essays will be superb

im reli sorry about the fact everyone else has stated but it is kinda true that being an African American will up ur chances of acceptance at least 10 fold...im reli sorry i dont wanna be offensive at all but yeh...

oh and u have reli good chances of getting into the rest of ur desired schools...GOOD LUCK!

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Not to be offensive, but Ceetotheizzle's post is full of S.h.i.t.

Check the acceptance rates for HYP, etc. The Af-Am percentage is typically between 6 and 10%. Do you think they're all scoring in the 1200s but getting in on account of their race? If so, you're wrong. Yes, being a minority can be a significant factor in getting into a college, but you will not be accepted anywhere* simply due to your ethnicity.

There are FAR more than "10 African Americans with scores like hers". I happen to live in a small town, and go to a rather public school, and I'm aware of over a dozen Af. Am. students in the school's population whom scored 1500s or above, or 35s-36s on ACTs. If you believe that fewer a dozen Af.Ams recieved perfect scores on standardized tests, then you are far beyond the common level of ignorancy.

You are an idiot.
Sad but true; that's America for you.

By Cassia (Cassia) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

No offense taken. I understand the way things are in America today. Thanks again everyone.

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Cassie, read above.

By Cassia (Cassia) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Merci, Neo. I read it right after I posted. I was thinking there HAD to be more than 10 black kids with a 1500+ score, although I know it's not common.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Neo, you're absolutely WRONG.

The median SAT for accepted students at IVY league schools is WELL below the median for Asian/caucasian students.

1550 as an African American will get you in anywhere.

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Summer after junior yr worked 25 hrs a week @ Barnes and Noble, where I continue to work. Also, candystriped at local hospital for entire summer and am still doing so.

Hobbies include Fashion Design (spend 5+ hrs a week on this)

I'm impressed by this. I'm guessing I won't be the only one. You'll probably get into many of your candidate schools. However, make sure the school fits your learning style and the atmosphere...Harvard and Stanford have markedly different reputations, climates and requirements. Princeton is generally speaking a very rich school...But they don't use loans...What's most important to you?

Best of Luck,
JJ

By Neofencer (Neofencer) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

I think you have a great chance of getting in my cousin got in and she wasn't a nms. You will do great. I'm from Arkansas and to diffuse all misconceptions that arky's are dumb, i will tell you my cred.(the ones i can remeber).
4.3 GPA, 8 A.P. not anything below a 4 on the test, I took Finite and College Alegrebra as my Concurrent Classes. I made A 1575 on the SAT and a 35 and the act, which I'm taking again prob. I'm a national Merit Semi-Finalist, too lazy to fill out stupid paper work to make finalist.I made a perfect on the Asvab,Compass and Acces.
I've made who's who,nhr,naa,academic all-american scholar and so on. I've,spelling bee,math state,ace and quiz,amd,pres of nhs even my junior year.sec.of key club and this year I've been in school for 3 week's and have already made 60,000 in scholarships.Also won the bridge building comp, geo bee and right now I'm working on the intel and national history day and the ffa national championship. I've been in Jr.NHS,Technical Honor Society,Thespians Honor Society,and Medical Honor Society and of course NHS. So is my chances of getting into princeton good? I hope so.

By Cassia (Cassia) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

JJ,

I'm orginally from NYC so I'm interested in competitive schools with more liberal atmoshperes and defined campuses. Thus, Stanford is really the ideal school for me. I like Princeton for its focus on undergraduate studies, but I'm also afraid that it might be a little too stratified and conservative.

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

"I made A 1575 on the SAT."

LOL.

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

"I'm a national Merit Semi-Finalist, too lazy to fill out stupid paper work to make finalist."

LOL.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

1575, that's just sad. Until you posted that, I believed that nobody lied on CC... oh well.

Pretty pathetic man.

OMG MAN! You should get banned! This is a community of people interested in college. No room for liars.

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

The thing is, though, Trojan1444 although I firmly disagree with you on the head count for 1500s, I pray you're right about the differential in the acceptance rate. It'll help out a lot of people on these boards, including Cassie and I.

Cass, I'm also looking towards Stanford :^), as well as MIT, NW, and a few of the ivies.
My SAT score's a 1460 right now (I took it in June without having the forethought to study), but I'm aiming for a 4000 (in SAT and 3 SAT IIS) by November.

Perhaps we'll meet each other next year.

Btw, I'm also an African American...that's part of why I was aware of the innacuracy in Trojan's post.

If there were approx. 900 students whom scored 1600s in the US last year (and there were), then by population breakdown, at least 50-100+ of those scores must have come from African Americans. Approx. half came from the caucasian population, and Asian-Americans recieved the bulk of the remainder.

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

A quick question: what are the requirements for claiming "minority status?" 1/4? 1/8? 1/16? Are there any set qualifications? Is there something different for American Indians/Alaskaan Natives (such as tribal membership)?

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

No one could be a National Merit Finalist right now....they haven't even finished sending out semi-finalist notices.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Neo you are ignorant if you think that standardized test scores break down into the exact demographics of the national population. If you found the statistics that way less than 10% of the 1600s were African American, and that Asian Americans (who make up a similar percentage of the population), would have a lot of them

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Did you baby-sit full time and only make $70/week? That sux.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page