Question about Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Question about Harvard
By Rocgirl (Rocgirl) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Even though I didn't request materials from Harvard, they have been sending me a lot of stuff, including an application. I don't think I have a great chance, because Harvard Regular Decision accept only about 7% of its applicants. If a college sends you a lot of mail, does that mean they are especially interested in you as a student? Or do they just randomly select people to send stuff?

By asasa on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:37 pm: Edit

It just means they have you on their mailing list, trust me-when u take the SAT and score a certain score etc etc, they just try and get you to apply. its for their benefit, since u send them 60 bucks to apply.

By me on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:39 pm: Edit

They just send out material based on PSAT/SAT scores and other stats from collegeboard. They are interested in you as an applicant. That's it, nothing more.

By MIT Mom on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Getting unsolicited mailings from colleges, including applications, means nothing.

There was an article in The Washington Post about a year ago that talked about the mailings colleges send out to high school juniors and seniors. Not only has the volume of this mail increased, but colleges are deliberately sending flattering mailings in attempt to get the recipients to apply. The article was full of stories about students who were told how wonderful they were, how they were exactly the type of student the college was looking for. Yale University went so far as to send car decals that said, "Congratulations from Yale University."

The article went on to say how these kids were completely devistated when they got rejected from these colleges. The colleges defended themselves by claiming they never actually said the student would be admitted.

The ONLY purpose of these mailings is to increase the number of applicants.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page