Chances of getting into UPenn, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, Duk

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances of getting into UPenn, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, Duk
By willis on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:14 pm: Edit

ok i just took a kaplan course, and my final score on those sat practice tests were a 1340. I play tennis alot, im on academic team, science olympiad, and i volunteer regularly every week at my local hospital(at least 6hrs/wk). Hopefully the hospital will grant me permission to do a study on Hepatitis C, which should look good (I hope :| ) I am currently a junior, which means i have another year to bring my sat score up some.
So, what do you think my chances are of getting into Duke or UPenn or Johns Hopkins? I'm VERY VERY paranoid about getting into a good college, because there is alot of pressure on me to do so - parents especially :(

By willis on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:51 pm: Edit

by the way, my GPA is a 4.0
also, please give any suggestions i could do this year or next year to increase my chances

By willis on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 02:07 pm: Edit

someone please respond

By me on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:00 pm: Edit

You have a 4.0, which is good, but in what courses? If your school is competitive, you should be taking plenty of AP's. It's VERY hard to tell whether you will get accepted or not, because you have provided such little information. Assuming your SAT is 1400, SAT II avg 720, I would give you a 25-30% shot at any of those schools Early Decision. I only say this not because your SAT is low, but because your Extracirricular activities are subpar for all those schools. If you can get the research done, that would be huge. If not, I would stick to the numbers I forementioned.

About improving your chances...I would recommend you not join any more extracirricular activities, but attain leadership positions in them; that is vital. Other than that, work on improving your scores (to make up for your EC's), and make yourself unique!

By willis on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 01:32 pm: Edit

im taking all the ap's available (small school) and i just got accepted into a national leadership conference in ca. in summer of 2003.
I was also accepted at Duke Talent Identification Program and Northwestern Center for Talent Development, both of which were 3 week camps.

By humpty dumpty on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 02:28 pm: Edit

On another thread, somebody posted the URL for the scattergram plots of GPA & SAT scores showing how students from a large high school in Maryland had done getting in to various schools. Comparing it to your stats will give you a better idea of where you stand.

From my perusal of their data, I give you your best shot as EA at Johns Hopkins where most (but not all) of the people with SAT over 1300 and 4.0 GPA did get in. EA probably helps here as both of the students with some of the lowest scores who applied EA got in, but others much high failed during the regular round.

Next is Duke, but you're reaching here. Another 100 points on your SAT score could really be the difference between making it in or not for you. Their plot shows none of the below 1375 SAT scores making it in. Their threshold also required a goodly degree of A's in AP level courses. Take the toughest classes you can and hope for the best. Check out if there are any local college classes that you might be able to emphasize that you've taken the biggest challenges available to yourself.

UPenn is not completely impossible but I put your odds at less than 20% without improving your score and upgrading your EC's. Don't just participate in whatever the EC is, excell in it. Get great recommendations. Write superb essays for your app. The scattergram shows 2-3 student out of 30 or so with roughly your credentials getting in.

Princeton - based on the scattergrams, I'd say tack on 200 points to your SAT score and I'll give you a 25% chance.

Still, all of these schools are trying to build a diverse population. Coming from a small community especially if it rarely has student that attend Ivys can really benefit you.

All of this assumes that you're not a URM, etc...

By willis on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 02:36 pm: Edit

first off, what is a urm? second, i am definitely from small community. I come from a poor high school in southeastern ky. Almost nobody goes to ivy's here.
I also posted another thread but i added some other details i left out here, under the name ngowdar instead of willis.

By humpty dumpty on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 02:56 pm: Edit

URM - under represented minority

I'm definitely no expert, but my guess is that small community in Kentucky works hugely to your advantage. All of the schools want to say that they take students from all 50 states, so to some extent you're not just competing nationally but also locally.

Being of Indian (Eastern) descent, on the other hand, doesn't help you at all. In fact it could even work against you (though I don't know this for a fact). The thing is that since many of India's best and brightest are the ones that make up the pool of immigrants, they (you guys) all want to go to the best school possible (and have a culture that value education so have a high grad school presence). So culturally you may not necessarily provide a profile as a disadvantaged candidate coming from rural Kentucky.

If you did come from an economically disadvantaged background, I'd definitely discuss that in your applications. Otherwise I might be tempted to check the other or won't disclose race box. But don't consider this real advice because I'm just guessing based on my experience of going to a top 10 graduate engineering program packed with Indians and Asians (only about 10% of the class was caucasian).

By willis on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 03:00 pm: Edit

well im certainly no immigrant. I was born here, just my background is indian. Or does that matter at all? Am i still at a disadvantage?

By willis on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 03:05 pm: Edit

by the way humpty, thanx alot for ur time and patience u spent writing this helpful information.

By humpty dumpty on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Oh sure, it's fascinating to see the quality and level of commitment that all of you competitive kids put into your high school career, so it's really my privelege.

I don't really know how helpful anything that I've said (with the exception of pointing you at the factual scattergrams) because I have so little real expertise in the area. Unless you've been in on the inside making the decisions I suspect that whatever you hear is so much BS.

Definitely don't take my comment as saying that being Indian is a disadvantage. I'm just pretty sure that it's not an advantage. And if you could write that your family had worked in the coal mines for 4 generations and you were the first to go to college, then we're talking advantage. As it is, I think you'll probably get some benefit out of geographical presence....

By willis on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 04:10 pm: Edit

can you tell me which thread those scattergrams are? thanx

By humpty dumpty on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 06:15 pm: Edit

I just bumped the thread.

It's "admission stats really cool website".

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page