All the Ivy?s + U Chicago Stanford Northwestern Amherst Swar

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: All the Ivy?s + U Chicago Stanford Northwestern Amherst Swar
By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:13 am: Edit

SAT: 790 Verbal
640 Math

SAT II(expected on the December administration)
Writing 700+
Literature 700+
Math IC 630-670

I'm a full-paying international applicant from India. I'm aware of the fact that international applicants usually have high math scores with lackluster verbal scores (for obvious reasons); as you can see, I'm quite the opposite--how will this affect my chances? Besides my test scores, all other elements in my application are beneficially "unique".

Schools I'm planning on applying to

-- All the Ivy?s +

U Chicago
Stanford
Northwestern
Amherst
Swarthmore
Georgetown
NYU
Tufts

Well I'm hoping to be admitted to those colleges on the basis of my rather unique extracurricular activities.

-- Soon-to-be-published author
Some months ago I started to write a book. The Skydancer is a 'factional' thriller based on true events of a 15-year old Tibetan Lama's incredible escape across the Himalayas from Chinese-occupied Tibet on the eve of the millennium. It is a real-life adventure about Ugyen Trinley, a handsome, effusive teenage Lama who is the target of Chinese assassins on the Roof of the world. The young Lama's run for freedom
across the
Himalayas was a David and Goliath situation played out on an extraordinary spiritual battlefield. Like 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' it is both a real-life entertainer that observes a fascinating society and a cinematic travelogue that cartwheels the reader across a magical landscape. And this is the story of the boy-king who may well emerge as Buddhism's next spiritual head and who is expected to lead Tibet's struggle for freedom in the 21st century. Well, I finally completed 3 full chapters and a detailed chapter by chapter synopsis and mailed the whole 60- page package to the Managing Editor of a leading publishing house in India. I received an acceptance letter soon after =)

-- Interviewed Abdul Kalam, India's new President. I believe I'm the youngest person to have interviewed an incumbent Indian head of state. (School paper & national daily)

-- Audience with His Holiness the Dalai Lama slated to take place sometime in January. I will enclose the questions I intend to pose to him within my application package. (School paper & national daily)

-- School Paper, political editor

-- summer with a major news paper( work exp.)

-- Debate team

-- I appeared on 'We Are the People', a talk show on the Asia-wide news channel 'Star News', to dispute the revision of our History text books.

-- Community service: My family runs an orphanage; I have spent hundreds of hours there.

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 04:20 am: Edit

Bump

By wisconsinguy on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 07:25 am: Edit

Ok, applying to all of those schools is just wrong. You're trophy-hunting. You may take the place of someone who actually wants to go to some school. Cut down to seven or eight at most.

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 08:06 am: Edit

I don't know which colleges I qualify for, which is why I have had to compile such a long list.

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 09:18 am: Edit

?

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:16 pm: Edit

BuMp..

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:42 pm: Edit

I put a considerable amount of effort and thought into capsule-ing my life into the above post; please respond.

By willis on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:49 pm: Edit

i'd say your set man....im a U.S. born Indian, and my sister got into northwestern with a 1350 with less than half the qualifications u have. Plus ur international, which increases ur chances. I wouldnt worry too much, just start looking at colleges and narrow down ur list. Good luck

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:50 pm: Edit

On an unrelated note.... Did you know that Dictionary.com is the only dictionary in the world that recognizes the word "Capsuling" ?

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Thanks for your input, willis. I was hoping people on this message board could help me narrow my list of colleges.... Anyone?

By willis on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 02:10 pm: Edit

hmm...what do u wanna do? that might help narrow it down. Also, take a look online at the U.S. News best colleges.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/rankindex_brief.php

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Thanks for the link, Willis =)

Actually, opinions on my chances of getting into the schools I've listed would be most helpful.

I am trying to condense my list, but I'm really in the dark as to how to go about doing so. I don't want to exclude the Ivy's, even though I'm almost sure I'm an auto-reject at most of them because of my low math scores, and the remainder of the list (NYU, UCHIC, TUFTS, GTOWN) seems to contain too many realistic choices to be tampered with.

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 02:56 pm: Edit

I'm in a fix, aren't I?

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 02:58 pm: Edit

It's one in the morning, I better get to bed before I drop dead on my keyboard.

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Bump

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:25 pm: Edit

I'd appreciate some responses....!

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:29 pm: Edit

This board seems to be so active-- why is my thread dead?

By Zee on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:29 pm: Edit

This board seems to be so active-- why is my thread dead?

By CALIFORNIA MONKEY on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Great e.c.'s, international student...if you have a good GPA (at least UW 3.7) I would relax.

By police on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 05:59 pm: Edit

your math scores are ridiculously low. study!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page