Short and sweet... PLEASE help?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Short and sweet... PLEASE help?
By Fiza (Fiza) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Hi, I want to apply to some schools and was wondering which schools I had a decent chance of getting accepted at, and how much aid they might give me (based on academic record or whatever. Also, can you also say anything interesting that you might know about these schools. Thanks a bunch!

My stats:
1330 SAT
Asian female
MAYBE (if im lucky)top 10% rank
3.6/3.5 W/UW GPA which should go up to a 3.7 PLUS im taking 5 aps this year (hardest course load) Worked last two years in retail
Few ECs compared to others- but notable on is President and Founder of a first engineering and science club at our school
Little volunteer work(job took up most of time)
Parents have middle class salaries

Colleges (Ta da da):
Pomona
Tulane
University of Miami
Emory
Elon
Amherst
Duke
BU

Thank you :) !

By Fiza (Fiza) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

bump

By Wickedpriest (Wickedpriest) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

You need one of the each following ingrients to your list:
1)more ec
2)higher SAT score
3)luck

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

if your parents have middle class salaries, that makes their sum 2 middle class salaries, which makes you middle-upper class.
Shouldn't make much of a difference though
My analitical skills are fascinating.

By Masamune707 (Masamune707) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 02:16 am: Edit

hm yeh u should up ur SAT and do more EC's and take more AP tests etc ...unfortunately duke and amherst r extremely hard to get into..good LUCK!!!

By Fiza (Fiza) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Wel atleast tulane is easy to get into...rite? lol.

Well i thot my werent too bad. Dont worry, half the schools up there are my reaches and thanks for answering

By Fiza (Fiza) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:44 pm: Edit

does anyone have anything to make me feel not so stupid?

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

This board seems to think board scores == intelligence. Which it does not, the research shows that the SAT I explains less than the educational past of an applicants' parents. A certain presidential candidate named Bill Bradley made it into Princeton with a 480 on the Verbal section of the SAT. The hubris and arrogance of some on this board (not thread) make me wonder about the wisdom of reaching for reach schools.

Sorry for my tangent, I just had to say that once. Duke is probably not likely however, I think you have a shot worth taking at ALL of your candidate schools. A lot will depend on how well you and your advocates present their case.

By Horseman (Horseman) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Fiza, you have a great chance at all of the school, except maybe Amherst and Duke! You have great stas! Your SAT scores are descent.If you get in, I would advise you to go to University of Miami, because they give out a lot of scholarships! Good Luck!

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Reach for the stars, Fiza.

Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do. Nothing's impossible.

And the fact that you've held a steady job for the past two years will look marvelous on any application you submit. Keep up the good work :^)

By Theuofcgirl (Theuofcgirl) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Speaking from experience, BU tends to be generous and I think that you're good to go for BU, stats wise. I think that a lot of people on this board downplay the importance of a job. Sure, a lot of people (myself included) didn't work through high school and, thus, had all sorts of time for millions and billions of ECs. But having a job shows a lot of responsibility and other such things. Don't worry too much about what everyone else has to say about your lack of ECs. Besides, starting up an engineering and science club takes a lot of effort and is something that can shine on an application if you make it!

By Fiza (Fiza) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:46 pm: Edit

wow thanks guys you really made me smile. And yes i realize that Amherst and Duke are longshots but hey i figure might as well try! :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page