Armenian count for minority? texan wants USC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Armenian count for minority? texan wants USC
By Texarmenian (Texarmenian) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 07:12 pm: Edit

hey guys, first post. i'm a senior at coppell high school in dallas, texas. i don't have the best SAT scores, but i have a decent gpa, EC, etc, internships, etc. I plan to do business and then law.

3.63 (after a hard year of pre-cal, prolly end with a 3.75-3.8)

Highest Diploma
Hardest classes

APUSH - 4, AP English (1st year) 3

Taking AP Macroeconomics
AP Gov't
AP Stats
AP English (year II)

In second year of DECA/Marketing Coop

Worked all junior year at CompUSA, commissioned salesperson, outsold everyone at store, part of DECA

Working now at Anristu Corp, a global company founded in Japan, marketing intern.

Lived in Tokyo, Japan for 3 years (good essay there)

27 hours of community service, Sunday school teacher, Junior Achievement, DECA officer, joining some other clubs, coached kids' soccer, etc.

1180 SAT (not great, taking again in nov.) will prolly make 1300. (I'm a gifted/talented, left-handed, right-brained creative freak that sucks at math)

taking ACTs this month

I'm armenian, but we're a "white" race. How can I get this across to the colleges??? There are NO armenians in texas schools! California's different, and not much of a deal (I want to go to USC, my aunt went there, legacy???) because there are a lot of armenians there.

NOT the top 10%, we are a "smart/rich kid" school. I'm like 160 out of 800 or so.

Any tips on this stuff???

-Thanks guys...time's running out

By Sostressedout (Sostressedout) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

put down other and specifiy, you dont consider yourself armenian thats good enough and i dont neccesarily think caucasion is just white, im middle eastern and our skins pretty white too (well most of us) but i dont consider myself caucasion

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Armenia is about as "Caucasian" (literally) as you can get. If you were born in a foreign county and had a rough time because of it (e.g. English as second language), that's a plus. If your parents didn't go to college, that's a plus. Just being of Armenian ancestry doesn't cut it.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

I was born in the USSR and im just putting white (caucasian) down.

And on most apps it says White/Caucasian so wouldnt you just put that down since youre from the CAUCUSES. Affirmitive action is terrible anyways, you should get in because youre qualified or because you haven't had the same advantages as most people, not because your skin is a different color.

If you really want to show how diverse you are right an essay about being armenian. Though, I don't think it'll help much unless you write one about how you came to america (which I'm going to do).

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

dude that's not gonna help you. I lived in yerevan for 12 years, then 2 in moscow and then 2 in the us. It'll help me a bit, but you were born here(or at least spent most of your life), we're not a minority are are litarally caucasian. Hayeren khosumes?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

a bit off topic but

boo turkey, and their evil government who's now murdering kurds!

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

wow andrey i lived in the south of moscow in an apparment the size of a bedroom for 2 years and was discriminated all the time(being caucasian (the real kind) is like being black in the US in the 50's). I think i WILL write an essay like that. Thanks for the idea.

By Sostressedout (Sostressedout) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 09:02 pm: Edit

By Ahlawahed (Ahlawahed) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

Armenians are classified as Middle Easterners. Middle East and North Africa are many times with White/ Caucasian. Why because skin is technically white. However, Ethnicity is different because race and ethnicity are different. Also caucasian really means caucus and asian so thats really the border near middle east and russia and so forth.
Yet the Western doesnt care for this for this idea so the Another reason that its classified this way is because Jesus, Moses,and other Biblical prophets all came from the Middle East and they were semitic as Arabs are too. and people like to say Jesus was white so the people from there have to be white too. right. heh

By Sostressedout (Sostressedout) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

im sorry i dont consider us middle easterners causcasians (and im not the only one who thinks that), just because our skin is fair, although i assure u it is far from white, more of a tan, that doesnt make us caucasion, caucasian in my opinion is european, and we are from from being european, i honestly think they should have a option for middle easterns, but untill than me and several other people like me classify ourselves as "other". maybe europeans are just dillusional, i dont think jesus or any of the other biblical prophets were white, if u look at us you'll see we look nothing like europeans, our skin is somwhere between white and brown, theres no way u can call us white

By Ahlawahed (Ahlawahed) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

I am middle eastern as well, I am just stating the facts of why it is this way in america. I am not agreeing with it. Also I have seen the middle east, so to say they are just tan is ignorant because there are many people with white skin color and some with very dark skin color. Btw because of location people tend to tan showing a darker color. And I yes i agree with you there should be another classification. But really you should not need to classify yourselves for anyone.

Oh yeah, "if u look at us you'll see we look nothing like europeans" Look at people from Greek, Spain, Italy. The people from the mediterranean region all look quite alike.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

This was never about skin color!!!

No one cares whether youre brown or not, its only about where you come from.

There are three Caucus countries: Georgia, Azerbaijain, and Armenia. The only country with a majority muslim population is Azerbaijain.

Now, the word Caucasian is derived from the word Caucus (I think we can all agree on that?). That means that literally Texarmenian is a caucasian. That's the problem. But I dont think it really matters much because middle eastern is classified as white on most college apps. (Middle Eastern people are actually the descendents of Aryans and after the Mongol invasions and interaction with the Mongols their lineage got darker skin---its all from one of my muslim friends, so if you dont like it •••• off.)

Texarmenian: you are caucasian
Rubenizm: yeah, i know what its like being persecuted in Russia, im jewish.

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

I go to USC and my roommate is actually Armenian. I think you should have an awesome chance, because USC loves to accept minorities or people who live out of state or out of the country. I've actually met tons of people here from Texas.

By Student9 (Student9) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 01:09 am: Edit

Rubenizm, Click on my username.

U know nothing about the situation. There are no killings of Kurds. It's not Iraq.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:34 am: Edit

Yes. Depends on if ancestors are from Armenia.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:01 pm: Edit

of course there are no killings of kurds. just like there were no killings of armenians. it was in fact Armenians that slaughtered turks. Those lying armenians.

Serisously i'm angry for the armenians, but i don't hate turks. I hate the turkish government who's full of a bunch of pussies and can't admit the truth. What's sad is that they got away with it. Before hilter launched his campaign again jews, This isn't the exact quote but it went something like:"Noone remembers the Armenians, who'll remember the jews?"
But this is in no way relevant to this post. Bottom line is that being armenian by descent is not gonna help you in any way. It might help me because i have lived in yerevan for 12 years, but you're already an American.

By Student9 (Student9) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

We are the children of Iron and Fire, the founders of a thousand homelands, the wearers of a thousand crowns. We are the Turks.

You liar, look at my pic in my eyes and say that crap.

One day, Armenians will wake up to the sound of thundering drums and crashing cymbals.

The janissaries will return.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

jeez calm down, i'm very happy that you have so much national pride. I really don't wanna make a stupid debate here.
And i don't quite understand what your eyes have to do with anything that happened 90 years ago. Your picture doesn't tell anything to me.
BTW was that threat supposed to mean that you guys will be back?

You know this is just too much information for my simple armenian mind, why don't you take all your philosophy, national pride and all the hate towards armenians, you for some reason have, somewhere else. I don't wanna get banned AGAIN.

I'm supposed to hate turks, but i don't. You hate us why? Because we didn't all die?
Seriously dude calm down, i don't feel any bit of hate towards turks, i feel hate for the government. How does that offend you?

Jeez Talk about raging hormones.

Texan, this kind of stuff that can help you in admission, if you can cite examples of discrimination and hate towards you that certain individuals feel for no apparent reason.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

Like how that affected you in your development or something. Write a good essay about that and it'll help a lot.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:02 am: Edit

seriously i don't understand what your pic is supposed to tell me?
I really don't get it. I'm not being sarcastic or something, i look at the eyes and they don't look any different than those of other people, except they're shiny and black. Maybe that means something in your culture but that really doesn't tell me anything and i doubt most others here get it.

By Student9 (Student9) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Typical Armenian.

Feeling no guilt when lying to someone's face.

Armenians have massacred Azeri Turks, and they expect something from Turkey?

Enough of this, I will read no more of your posts.

By Sostressedout (Sostressedout) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

student 9: he wasnt the one who did the massacaring neither was it his generation, so you cant say anything to him and what happened in the past happened, you need to let go, and rubenizm can u lay down on that sarcasim? you seem so harsh in every one of your posts, u need to chill out too

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

pathetic...

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Your posts are full of hate and no substance...
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:34 pm: Edit

student9: what's your position on jews?

By Jacknjill (Jacknjill) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

Dude, both of you just chill. You probably dont know anythin about the kurd issue, or the armenian.
boyle picleri takmiycaksin, salak olmak ellerinde degil

And Turkey doesnt have an evil governemnt, we're not the one saying that we're gonna bring civilization and......................................................................
nm, theres no point in arguing because almost every country has messsed up, Turkey has, Armenia has, and America....every country
just dont hijack someone elses topic

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page