Help needed for harvard before its too late! hehe

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Help needed for harvard before its too late! hehe
By Masamune707 (Masamune707) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Hi! My name is Sam and i go to Monta Vista High School in cupertino, CA and i am currently in the 10th grade

i really want to go to harvard and dont say to me that i just want to go there b/c of the name (brand lol) b/c i have lived in MA for half of my life and visited the campus numerous times!

i just want to see what u guys all think i should do to improve my chances at harvard. I just begun my 10th grade year and this is wut i am taking:

world literature (required 10th grade lit class)
world history (required 10th grade hist class-no AP world history offered at school)
AP physics
Wt Training (YEAH! Lol)
AP statistics
French 3 (we dont have honors french 3)
Law

I will be taking the AP world history, calculus BC, physics C (mech and elect/mag), and AP statistics tests this year...even though i should have taken calculus last yr *my bad ..*

I am an avid member of the math/sci club and i unfortunately was not able to land a leadership position although i was one vote away from VP. I have participated in a few tournaments last yr but i didnt place very well b/c i well..*ahem*...sucked...haaha...altho i did make it to the AIME last yr
I do a fair amount of community service every now and then through a couple school clubs.

I am planning on participating in as much math competitions this yr and i am really studying for the AMC12 and the AIME and the USAMO and all that and for the stanford tourney!

oh and btw i took Calculus A, Calculus B, and Calculus C at Stanford as a 8th grader and got A's in em...i have also earned A's in the following math courses at stanford: multivariable differential calculus, mutlivariable integral calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, real analysis. I am planning to start complex analysis sometime this year

i really love mathematics and i want to show harvard that i have a passion for it..do u guys have any suggestions on wut i can do to increase my chances?

oh and i have taken practice PSAT/SATI's and my most recent score is : 800 M, 660V=1460...i know its kinda low and i am trying to get it higher by reading more so yeh

im planning on taking the MathIIC SATII this fall (its coming up!! yay!! lol) and i have taken practice exams which i have consistently scored 800 hehe soo....

id really appreciate it if u guys could suggest nething.. THX!!!!! hehe

oh yeh i was thinking that maybe it would be cool if i tried to become an assistant for a low level calculus professor at stanford or something..cuz that would be easy to grade papers and all hmm.. im also thinking of entering in those science competitions in the field of math of course...like siemens and intel ..hm..oh and u guys can assess my chances of harvard too if u want haha ..

By Stephenpmi (Stephenpmi) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

I don't want to cater to the cliche, but for the most part, bright underclassmen (such as yourself) are interested in going to Harvard simply because it is "Harvard". I know that you note that you have actually visited the campus, and that is great. But please, before you get entirely caught up in the admissions game, remember that there is never any sure formula to success. Look at some other schools...I think that you have a good chance of getting in, but it is still a lottery ticket. If you set your sights on Harvard alone, you are setting yourself up for a possible disappointment. I'm not saying not to chase your dreams, but rather to expand them to other places. Your schedule is great, anyone can clearly see that you are a math prodigy.

Don't be obsessed with the college game...play some sports, get a job...the internship sounds like a good idea.

You have plenty of time. If you feel you are ready for Math IIC, take it in the fall or winter by all means.

Take the PSAT again, it won't matter as a sophomore, but will definitely help you prepare to cash in big time on your junior year NMSQT/PSAT.

Basically, I'm saying you look to be in great shape. Expand your extracurriculars, play a sport or two, and get an internship if you want. Thoroughly investigate other colleges, I haven't researched math departments, but I'm sure that there are other great departments out there. Take a break from the college game and have fun at school for the next few months. Get good grades, and see what happens in a couple of years.

Good luck.

By Masamune707 (Masamune707) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 02:12 am: Edit

haha THANK you for the advice =D i am planning to take the PSAT in the fall but unfortunately i might not be able to since 11th graders r given priority and things in california in terms of budget are looking bad =[

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page