Reasonable shot at Harvard EA?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Reasonable shot at Harvard EA?
By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 02:13 am: Edit

Name:
Ethnicity: Hispanic
SAT: 1420 (700V, 720M)
SATII: 740 Writing, 730 Math IC, 670 Biology, 600 US History
AP: 4 Biology, 4 Environmental Science, 4 European History, 4 US History, 4 Calculus AB, 5 English Language and Composition
GPA: 4.34 W, 3.89 U. Ranked 10 in a class of 320.
Awards and Honors:
X Men for Other¡¦s Scholarship (valued at $7,900). To earn this award, I demonstrated to a committee through an application and interview that am Open to Growth, Intellectually Competent, Religious, Loving, Committed to Doing Social Justice, and show strong Leadership capabilities.
X 7th in Arizona on National Spanish Exam (Spanish II), 8th in Arizona on NSE (Spanish III).
Academic Others:
X Took a Japanese Language class (January- May 2002) at a local community college. Received an A.

Extracurricular Activities:
X Big Brothers: Mentored freshman on everything from social survival to academics, to spirituality. Totaling about 100 hours.
X Tennis (15 hours a week). Ranked as low as 900 nationally. Projected year-end ranking in Arizona: 19.
X Tenor Saxophone: Concert Band 9-12, Pep Band 9-12, Jazz Band 10, Honor Band Section Leader 12, Saxophone Quintet (summer of 2003). Band Council 12.
X NHS 10-12
X SHS 10-12, was the primary speaker at the SHS induction in 2003.
X Mission of Mercy: have worked over 150 hours working as a translator. It is a clinic that gives free health care to those that cannot afford it and I interpret Spanish for them.
X Selected by the City of Phoenix to be a youth ambassador to Phoenix¡¦s Sister City, Himeji, Japan. I went to Japan for a month in the summer of 2003 and then hosted a Japanese student in my house for a month. 45 hours of community service were included in this program. I am an active member of the Phoenix-Himeji Relations Board.
X Calculus Club 12.
X Brophy Open House tour guide (10-12).
X Brophy Holiday Homes Tour Volunteer (11-12).

Senior Courseload:
X AP Calculus BC
X AP English Literature
X AP Economics (Macro and Micro)
X AP Government
X AP Physics
X AP Spanish Language
X Honor Band
X Philosophy

Am I wasting my time or do I have a shot?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 02:20 am: Edit

So you go to Brophy, your class rank is very good then. I think you wouldn't be wasting your time applying to Harvard but no one can decisively tell you whether or not you will be accepted because it is just so competitive. Are there other kids that you know of at Brophy applying EA to Harvard because that might make a difference Harvard doesn't like to accept more than 1-3 kids per school.

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 02:20 am: Edit

since harvard has an excellent east asian studies program, i was thinking of using that as my hook, since i did an exchange and took a class at a community college.

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 02:13 am: Edit

i once met a man named bump

By Gotspice (Gotspice) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 02:58 am: Edit

wow..you have a great chance! the URM will help you a lot, but your ECs are good nonetheless!

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 01:55 pm: Edit

You definitely got a chance, your minority status will help ALOT!

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 02:33 am: Edit

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

bump...

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 01:43 am: Edit

my favorite food is bump

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

I love you all, those who answer.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page