Is this sensible?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Is this sensible?
By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 02:04 am: Edit

these are the colleges I'm going to apply to:
Reaches:
Michigan
Tufts *
Georgetown
Colgate*
Boston College*
Matches:
George Washington*
USC-Annenberg(I'm jewish, will this help?)
Boston University*
Erasmus University in Rotterdam, Netherlands
Safeties:
Ohio State University
Miami-oxford*

*common app schools

I have a 32 ACT, 3.2 GPA(as of now, my senior year grades are all A's with 4 AP classes and I got a 4.0 in college courses this summer, rec from my philosophy teacher there. have a reason for not having great grades. school doesn't rank). strong essays, recs, and ECs. I may do ED at either Colgate or Tufts. What do you guys think? my guidance counselor agreed but I'm afraid she's overestimating my chances...

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 02:40 am: Edit

I don't really know enough about you to make a guess that I'm willing to stand behind (I wouldn't consider my self as necessarily being an expert, anyway). Your ACT is strong, but you and I have the same problem: GPA. If you have shown a strong sign of improvement throughout high school, then a GPA of 3.2 shouldn't hurt you in any significant way (except maybe with Tufts and Georgetown). It all depends on your reason for not having great grades (I'll assume that that's a personal issue you don't want to discuss). If financial isn't a real big deal for you, you should go ahead and use the ED option if and ONLY if you can determine a clear favorie school. You don't want to apply ED to one school and realize later that that's not the best school for you. It's also essential that you visit the campuses of all the schools you're considering. Oops, I'm off topic. Well, anyway, I think your list is strong and you have a pretty good shot of getting in to at least one of your reach schools. Though I might tend to consider Tufts and Colgate "matches" and the other two "reaches," unless, of course, you're from Michigan.

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

tufts is easier to get into than michigan? I'm out of state. I've had 7 total APs, got 5s on english and euro hist, 3 on us hist. stats econ gov and english lit to go. should I take the SATIIs and maybe apply to columbia(my mom went there, I have legacy)

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 08:48 pm: Edit

bump

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

bump

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 08:41 pm: Edit

With lots of the top state schools, they'll accept most worthy applicants, thus filling the majority of their spots. This makes it much harder for out of staters to get in, as priority goes to the locals. So even though Michigan has a higher acceptance rate than Tufts (56% vs 23% according to USNews' Best Colleges 2003, if I recall correctly), it may be harder for you personally to get into Mich.

Please evaluate my chances of getting into Tufts at "Tufts ED." Thanks.

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

you have similar(although mch better gpa) stats to mine.have you visited tufts? also have you gotten their application(or are you going to use common)?

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

bump

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page