College: I want to go there

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: College: I want to go there
By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:14 am: Edit

I'm looking for some opinions on my chances for Duke. Thanks.

4.32 GPA (9th out of 330)
11 AP Classes taken (of those completed, they were all fours and fives)
PSAT:211
SAT 1420 (720M, 700V)

Top ten in state on National Spanish Exam past two years
Varsity Tennis: State 5A doubles quarterfinalist and ranked as low as #39 in the southwest section of the USTA
Tenor Sax: four years of concert and pep band with honor band senior year. member of band council senior year.
Big Brothers: Mentored some freshman about academics, being social, and spirituality.
Won a Scholarship valued at 7000$ for being open to growth, intellectually competant, loving, religious, and committed to doing justice.
Worked over 130 hours translating spanish for Mission of Mercy, an organization that gives free health care to people without insurance.
Went to Himeji, Japan for a month and hosted a Japanese student for a month after my trip. This was through the City of Phoenix and I am a member of the Himeji-Phoenix Relations Board.
NHS, SHS, Calculus Club

I love all who respond

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

Hey I live in the PHX area as well and two of my friends took part in the Sister Cities program except they went to Sicily and France. Did you meet anybody through the program that goes to school at PCDS?

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

It all sounds very positive and very possible to me. I live in NC and have visited Duke with my daughter who is also applying there. Your scores look very positive, especially all 4s and 5s on the eleven APs! Have you taken your three SAT IIs yet? Duke requires one in writing and the other two are of your choice.

I particularly like the fact that you are strong in sports, music, and volunteerism, too. Those ECs show strong dedication to impressive activities instead of spreading yourself too thin on too many meaningless clubs, etc.

Best of luck to you!

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

Yeah, not really sure if I should post their names, but i know the two of them.

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

And oh, I am hispanic, which is so nice for college admissions.

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

Math IC: 730
Writing: 740
Biology: 670 :(

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

I think you have a very good shot especially because you are coming from AZ and are hispanic.

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

Don't feel too badly. My daughter's SAT IIs also include a 670 (Math IC). She got 800 on writing and 800 on U.S. History, but then she does not have as high an SAT I score as you have. I really think the writing and math scores you have will be of greater importance to the admissions department than the bio score. My daughter would much rather have a higher math score than U.S. History, for sure. Do you plan to apply early decision?

By Texan (Texan) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

yea ull get it...dont worry, if at all u might wanna raise ur sat scores...besides that ur set...evaluate me at "anyone brave enough to evaluate me" please thanks

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

who thinks i am not "set." in what areas can I improve besides SAT scores? How big is the advantage in applying early decision?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 01:44 am: Edit

There is always an advantage from an admissions standpoint to applying ED but if financial aid is an issue it has one caveat: if you are accepted you wil not be able to compare offers from other schools and you might be presented with a financial aid offer that does not meet your needs.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page