Presidential Classroom or GTown Int'l Relations?! HELP!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Presidential Classroom or GTown Int'l Relations?! HELP!
By Goya on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:56 pm: Edit

My top choice is Georgetown. I'm a junior now, and this summer I plan on going to either Presidential Classroom (which happens to use the GTown Campus) or the Georgetown International Relations program. Which would look better to GTown and what does anyone know about these two programs from personal experience. Thanks

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 10:36 pm: Edit

I did the IR Program in 2001. I suppose it doesn't differ too much from what the brochure says. You listen to a lot of lectures...by interesting people most of the time. We met Prof. Arend, who's real big at Gtown. I don't think that the Gtown Program is as involved as PC. We did visit the Israeli Embassy however, which was an interesting excursion. You also sleep in normal dorms and eat in the normal dining hall, so you get to experience life at Gtown, in addition to getting real familiar with the Intercultural Center (where SFS has its classes). If you want to learn more about Gtown, I suppose either would work; I think the the IR program is cheaper...Lemme see, we also did a crisis sim at the end, which was cool, oh, and I met a lot of cool people. I still keep up with a friend from Thailand. If you're into IR, do the Gtown Program. I think it's based less on its reputation than PC and although you might not meet a lot of famous politicians, you learn a lot.

By Hadrian on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 10:43 pm: Edit

I did both the IR and a Washington Workshops Congressional Seminar (a program similar to Presidential Classroom) in the summer of 2002 and got much more out of IR. While the Capitol Hill-based programs afford you numerous opportunities to meet with politicians (I randomly bumped into Senator Clinton--literally), GUIR has more flavor and gives you an excellent idea of what going to Georgetown is like. If you're even remotely interested in international relations, the material is invaluable, and Professor Arend's hilarious. I'd say IR.

By pizzaluvr on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 12:12 am: Edit

WWCS is not at all like Presidential Classroom... I think it's unfair to assume so if not having attended both.
I personally got a lot more out of the Presidential Classroom.
Here's a short summary I wrote under another post:
Presidential Classroom certainly is a worthwhile experience. Not only do you get to spend a week in the nation's capital, but you get to attend congressional meetings and meet some cool people, like the Vice President. a great experience if you're looking into politics or not... doesn't matter. also get the opportunity to attend some interesting lectures; for example, i met the guy who invented the gyro-scooter thing (forgot its exact name) and it's something you should see in the market within a few years. definetely an excellent expereince, scholarship or no scholarship. give it a shot, and good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page