MammaSaidGoToIvySchools, And I Said OK

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: MammaSaidGoToIvySchools, And I Said OK
By Wickedpriest (Wickedpriest) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

I took time to update my profile from my post in August. Have my chances at Ivy updated too? Thanks for helping me out.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SAT: 1450 (Verbal 700 Math 750)
SAT II:
1)chemistry 750
2)world history 780
3)us history 780
4)physics 750
5)writing 750
6)math Ic 800
7)math IIc 760
8)chinese 800
AP:
1)world history 5
2)us history 5
3)us government 4
4)chemistry 4
5)physics 4
6)psychology 5
7)statistics 5
8)calculus BC 4
9)english lit 4
10)planning to study macro and micro on my own, and aiming right at 5
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
School Ranking:
1)top 5% out of 385
2)GPA 95.6, or 4.0 unweighted
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EC:
1)red cross member in NY division, division leader
2)research in Northwestern freshman year(summer)
3)research in UCLA sophomore year(summer)
4)research in NYU/cooper union junior year(summer)
5)school newspaper staff, started a special
news column called "Politics Today". It's a
satirical column that expresses students'
opinions towards politicans on a local, national
and international scale.
6)year book staff
7)math team, first place NY division, sophomore
8)Amnesty Internation participant
9)Key club member
10)National Honor Society for Spanish and History
11)Peer Mediator (student counselor)
12)Leadership, vice president, senior year
13)Future Business Leader of America participant
14)Founder and President of the "Politics and Us"
club. The club is a social gathering place,
like a forum, that students can respond to
the events that's happening around us. Also,
the club have a monthly politic debate
concerning topics ranging from local news
to international events.
15)Math Tutor for 3 years
16)chess club
17)voluntary at hospital and library
18)over 1000+ hours of community service
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Misc:
1)chinese american
2)father works as a neurobiologist who has done
research in UCLA,Northwestern and NYU. He also
publicated his medical findings on several
prominent science magazines.
3)recommendation from professors in UCLA and
Northwestern
4)pretty good college application essay
(Forrest Gump style) hehe
Now, would any of you guys would be kind enough, critical enough, experience enough and responsible enough to give the poor man (me) a fair, honest and through review of my chances at Ivy Schools. Please rate my chance from 1-10. Your help are mostly appreciated.

By Istalam (Istalam) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 03:07 pm: Edit

9 being chinese might hurt (cuz so many qualified ones) but you look like an excellent candidate, btw what do u think of cooper union.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Why are you bothering to give us so many details about your dad?

I'd be much more interested in knowing what you plan to major in. In fact, knowing your father's background makes me suspicious that the college prof recommendations that you got came from his buddies.

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Scores are great. Rank and grades are great. However, cut down listing those ECs though... it makes you look undedicated.

By Anduin (Anduin) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

I'd say that you have an excellent shot. Your grades and scores are excellent, particularly with respect to your wealth of strong AP scores. The fact that you are a non-underrepresented minority will not work in your favor, but I can't see it as hurting you significantly.

I would disagree with Reba on the subject of EC's. All of your leadership, research, and community service make you look very dedicated. However, if there are things to which you haven't been really dedicated (you didn't mention anyleadership positions, honors, or multi-year commitments for Amnesty, Key Club, Future Business Leaders of America, or the Chess Club). If you have done such things for those clubs, however, by all means let colleges know about it.

Your father's prominence in the scientific community will likely have almost no effect on your chances at schools to which he didn't attend or for which he didn't work.

Northstarmom's suspicions, if true, would be pretty irksome. However, if those Rec's are both strong and truthful, they'll likely work to your advantage.

What, exactly, does "Forrest Gump style" mean?

Also, what are you planning to major in, and to which schools will you be applying?

Close to no one is ever a 10 at the Ivies, but you certainly merit a 9 in my humble, non-admissions-officer opinion.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

I can tell you right now that if everything is good, you have a nice chance. But the adcoms aren't going to pay much attention to the professor's recommendations or your "research" because of your father's position.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

you coast kids think you have all the advantages hah! the yale rep says the midwest has a better acceptance rank b/c it creates geographic diversity!

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Sometimes i wonder...............whats the point oh having sooooooo many activities like wickedpriest...i just looked over the uc and some other univs applications and they barely have 5 teeenie-meeenie rows to write down all the activities done in all 4 yrs of HS!!!!!!! my involvement in soccer...clubs and for school it self covers up all the 5 lines!!

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

rofl my dad is an neurologist and instructor at harvard medical and even though im applying to harvard college, his job and success in having publications in science and nature has absolutely no effect on my acceptance.

be nice if it did tho.

By Wickedpriest (Wickedpriest) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

To Auduin, reply to Forrest Gump Question:

People who aim for high academic achievements usually create a essay of "dramatic perfection". The pattern that i noticed in the past years after reading hundreds of application essays is that everybody wanted to create drama through the use of superlative rhyme and intricate designs of vocabulary. It's true that such style gives the adcom a sense of well-accomplishment, literary superiority and sophisticated philosophy, it doesn't guaranteen the quality of which the essay its self is judged on. My essay is closely modeled after the movie Forrest Gump. As most of you know, Forrest Gump's simplicity and idiotic mind has given a speical "quality" to the term stupid. My essay was written so that it involves words no more sophisticated than that from the Harry Potter books. The essay is so plain that its self actually stands out among the many other complicated and ambiguous writings.

By Wickedpriest (Wickedpriest) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

to Istalam:

Cooper Union is great for enginneering and chemistry!

By Stressedkid (Stressedkid) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

How can anyone do all the things you did without going insane, or dying of stress? Not me. :P

Some people are too good to be true, and I know its my jealousy, but honestly how many of you guys are out there? What about us regular kids? :(

Is there any room for someone who doesnt have a 1500++ or a 4.6 GPA? :( Aw well. For example are there any cases where a person with scores like say.... 3.8, 1350 get in? :) Just curious.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page