Chances at Harvard, Mit, Standford

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances at Harvard, Mit, Standford
By Nick on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Hey. I am asian, currently a junior at FL IB school. is it more difficult b/c i am asian?
rank 3 in IB. unweighted gpa 3.98 weighted 5.7.
SAT I
650 v and 800 m
SAT II to be taken in JAn.. predicting 800 math 2c, 750-800 physics, and above 700 writing.

I am taking all the AP classes available.
in the IB program.
last year. i had 2 AP classes as sophmore.
AP stats 5
AP euro 4

EC:
swimming for 2 years, varsity. planning on swimming next year.
debate(district qualifier)
Student working against tobacco (vice prez)
student govt(advisory board)
Mu alpha theta (officers 10th and 11th grade)
State winner in 9th and 10th grade
national winner at 2002 national mu alpha theta converntion.
Qualifier for USAMO 10th grade
Participate of MOSP 10th grade summer.

Volunteering:
tutoring students who have trouble with math
tutoring students to prepare for Math competitions. Some of my students got great places.

what do you guys think??

--Nick

By a ygr on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 08:00 pm: Edit

go look somewhere else. if u try, u might have a chance at less competitive schools

By Timmy1 on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 08:13 pm: Edit

i would think you would have a shot at those schools... They're the toughest schools in the country to get into so you're chances probably aren't very good, but you may get into one of them.. who knows.. anyway, good luck

By NIck on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 08:47 pm: Edit

If you guys think my stats arent good enough... what should I improve on??

--nick

By Timmy1 on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 09:46 pm: Edit

good question.. well, your verbal is a little low (not that i should speak because mine is only a 600v compared to my 800m) and also i'm guessing over 70 percent of the kids those schools reject are highly qualified, so even though you may be qualified, you probably still have a low chance. I'm guessing your best bet is MIT. hth... (btw, i'm not trying to be mean like the poster before me, i'm just trying to be helpful, i would imagine you'll get into one of those schools, and it could very well be MIT, but how am i to know, your guess is probably as good as mine)

By NIck on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 10:08 pm: Edit

thanks for ur input timmy. i really appreciate it. To Northstarmom, what do u think?? how high or low are my chances to those schools? especially harvard since u aer such an expert on that :).. whats your guess? the tutoring are lots of fun.. thanks for ur tip? what else do u think i can do to improve my chances??
thanks
--NIck

By JR on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:39 am: Edit

I think if you don't know how to spell STANFORD then you shouldn't even be allowed to go.

By Nick on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:22 pm: Edit

hehe.. typo.. calm down..:)

By ADHD on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Your stats great. Qualifying for the USAMO is a great hook. You should try to raise the verbal score but with great essays and teacher recs, you have an excellent shot.

By Nick on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 09:02 pm: Edit

what kinda teacher rec should i get? 3 teachers all know me pretty well. one is in math, one in physics, one in english.. which of those 2 should i get?
--Nick

By j on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 09:05 pm: Edit

It appears you have an interest in math. Get the math teacher. Then, get the English teacher to show balance

By E-ducation on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 05:00 pm: Edit

You would have had a better chance if you participated more in community service related activities.

By BBQDuck on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 05:30 pm: Edit

just study your verbal, and more community service.
consider appyling to Caltech-- they love the math/science people and make no secret of preferring that type over the more "well-rounded" type with community service, etc.
I know this because I talked to one of the Caltech admissions officers and asked him about their humanities department-- I might as well have been speaking another language; his response was, "It's there... but if you don't like math, don't come to this school."
Their application also contains a box to fill with "something that appeals to you": putting in anything remotely creative may DECREASE your chances of getting in, I think they'd rather see you fill that box with math or physics, like what a friend of mine did.
And you seem like that type. So Caltech may just be the place for you. MIT might be a reach, altho that institution is also focused around the math/sciences, just not as much so.
Hope that helps.

By NJ MAN on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 02:42 am: Edit

USAMO is extremely impressive. Milk it on ur app.

By lum on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:40 am: Edit

How about my chances at CalTech?
English = second language
Russian = native language
Permanent resident of Idaho.

SAT I: 500V 800M, 540V 790M, 550V 780M
ACT: 26, 30, 32 (the 32 is 34 English, 35 Math, 30 Reading, 29 Science)
SAT II: 720 Phys, 800 IIC, 730 Writing, 630 Bio-E, 650 Chem

GPA: 3.92 unweighted

AP's: completed calc and stats, enrolled in art history, biology, english, us history, and us government.

I have taken all higher level math and science classes offered at my school, and even have to go to a nearby high school for bio and us history.

Got a number of science and math awards, but nothing on a large scale. Participated in a summer engineering program at U of ID.
Last year's team captain in a national engineering competition (didnt win or anything). This year, I organized the competition at my school, since last year's coach didnt wanna do it. I am preparing TWO teams for the competition and will be a captain of one of them.

For my "fill the square" response, I will send a research paper about an interesting phenomenon. The research paper is expected to be at least 20 double-spaced pages long. For some of my sources, I used real scientists who worked on the phenomenon. Those scientists are professors from Twente University in the Netherlands, Johns Hopkins, U of Washington, MIT, Harvard, U of Illinois, and I am also going to contact a professor from CalTech who has also done research in the field. I am pretty sure the research paper will be great. My mentor at school said the outline is "perfect" and I will have several teacher proofread the paper. One of the profs from Twente U also said that my outline is great. I am already working on the paper -- I have my sources and everything else ready, I just need to do some more reading and then sit down and write the paper in several days. I think this will be a huge part of my application.

What are my chances at CalTech, UC Berkeley, and UC Davis (as I said, I am from Idaho, so I am an out-of-state applicant to UC's).

Thanks

By police on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 01:02 am: Edit

definetely a fair chance... CalTech has lots of "foreigners", if you will.
about 5-10% do not speak "satisfactory" english, that is where i got that from in case you were wondering.
at your interview, don't be ashamed to hide your math/science enthusiasm. it's what the school thrives on. in fact, displaying interest in remotely anything else may decrease your chances, as mentioned in an earlier post.
i realize i'm basing all this off a single talk with one of their admissions officers, but i suspect from the types of ppl they've accepted from my school, the math/science type is all they want and aren't ashamed to hide it.
in the application, MATH MATH MATH SCIENCE SCIENCE SCIENCE
and do well on your research paper. during the interview, that may become the main topic of discussion. i did an in-vetro bio research project one summer and the harvard admissions guy and i discussed that topic alone for over an hour.
so be prepared.
and good luck!

By d00d on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 01:33 am: Edit

Your SATII's (except M2C) are all below average for caltech, and your sat verbal score is nearly 200 points below the average (736). Just FYI, Caltech's LOWEST verbal score (ie, 0th percentile) was a 520.

By lum on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Thank you, police and d00d.

Police:
CalTech does not do interviews!

d00d: thank you for providing information that I already know. Do you really think I am that stupid? By asking questions here, I want advices/opinions, not information that EVERY CalTech applicant knows. Checking score ranges is one of the first things to do before applying, so I am aware of my low verbal score. I agree that physics is low, but keep in mind that 730 Writing is very good for someone who has spent less than 3 years in the USA and whose native language is not English.

I hope my ACT score will help CalTech evaluate my profile, even though they do not accept ACT as a fulfillment of the test requirements. On the latest ACT, my English score was in the 99th percentile: this proves that my primary weakness is vocabulary, while I am good at other aspects of the language.

By police on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 07:37 pm: Edit

no, they don't do interviews, but admissions officers come during college fairs and i attended one in scottsdale, phoenix a couple months ago.

By caltech sucks on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:58 pm: Edit

I wonder why they dont do interviews. o yeah, no one at caltech has friends or social skills!

By police on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 11:02 pm: Edit

agreed. the guy who came to the college fair definetely had coals/diamonds up his ass, he spoke in a monotone, blah

By Tatum on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 04:41 pm: Edit

What are my chances?

I have an 800MathIIC, 800 Writing, 800 Chemistry, 800 Biology. I took AP Calc BC in the ninth grade and AP Chem in the ninth grade and got 5s on both of them. Since then, I've taken AP Biology, AP Spanish, AP Spanish Lit, AP European History, AP US HIsotry, AP English Language and Comp, AP English Lit, AP Computer Science A, AP Statistics, AP Physics C Mechanics and E&M, and AP Government. I've gotten 5s on all of them. But now I'm scared, because I'm not taking any APs this year (my school doesn't offer anymore). But I am taking Complex Analysis and Fourier Series and in January I will start taking Advanced Differential Equations at UCSD.

Sincerely,

Tatum Herzog

Oh, and one more thing, I forgot to mention that I won the Nobel Prize in Physics this year! =)

By fun e on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 05:21 pm: Edit

haha

By crazyforbread on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Funny, I don't remember a Bio-E (bioengineering) SAT II. We only had Biology SAT II back in my day (2 years ago).

By Utop12 (Utop12) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Whats USAMO and MOSP

By hooked on acronyms on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 08:22 pm: Edit

USAMO and MOSP are for people who are really good at math. USAMO = USA Math Olympiad and MOSP is a summer camp for those in USAMO. If you want to get into USAMO, you have to do really well on the AIME and if you want to take the AIME, you have to do well on the AMC.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page