UPENN? Do I have a chance?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: UPENN? Do I have a chance?
By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

I am thinking of applying to UPENN Early Decision.

I want to major in pre-med.

I am an indian male from eastern PA.

STATS:

GPA: 3.83 UW 4.6 W

I took the toughest schedule possible all 3 years.

SAT: 1450 - M(720) V(750) I'm thinking if i should take them over in october.

SAT IIs: Writing(770) Math IIC (720) Physics (690)

APs: AP European History (5)

Senior Schedule:
AP Physics 1 2
AP Calculus BC
AP English
AP Biology
Honors German 4
others...

ECs:
Debate Captain - Finalist in last year's competition
Key Club (community service club) - Public Relations officer

I took a nationwide German test and got some award.

German Club, German Hon. Society, International Club, Political Science Club

Work/Volunteer:
In the summer of 9th grade i visited India and I did volunteer work in a hospital giving vaccines to children.
200+ hours of various community service
Worked at a retirement home (6 hours a week) during the school year.
I did research on the AIDS virus in the pathology department in UPENN. 20+ hours a week in the summer.

I also wrote a paper on time travel. I got some recognition for it on a national level.

I will probably write an essay about my experiencecs in India.
I can get some recs from people I met at UPENN and good recs from teachers.

So do i have a shot?

any advice is appreciated.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

If you from eastern PA (like me, go montgomery county) you won't have too much trouble getting in. The fact that you're indian won't give you much help at UPenn, indians aren't exactly a minority there. Wow! You have my senior schedule (minus Spanish V). You're grades are great as are your SATs. Overall, i'd say you're in. Just my advice: be prepared to become a pre-law, pre-business, or pre-med student. Advisors at Penn always try and push everyone into their pre-professional programs. Good luck!

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

So i guess you don't think that I should retake the SATs in October?

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 03:03 pm: Edit

montgomer sucks, Bucks all the way

By Ericng314 (Ericng314) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

I like the screen name! LOL :) Don't know about chances here, but your potential of getting in seems good.

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Speaking of Bucks county, did you know the girl on Made on MTV?

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

No i don't know the girl on "Made"

and of course I can't take credit for the screen name

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

I live in montgomery county and it defintaly doesn't help you get into Penn that you are from this area. If anything it hurts you, they have tons of kids from this area already and schools like Penn are always looking for more diversity. Kids at my school (upper dublin) have got rejected w/ a 1600 but lots of legacies have got in w/ 1350s so it is really hard to guess w/ Penn.good luck.

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

you are right, alot of kids from my area apply to UPENN. But do u think that it I get a rec from someone that works at PENN now would be kinda the same as a legacy?

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

also, how much financial aid do u think a 100,000 dollar income would get at UPENN?

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

bump

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Actually, since you wanna major major in premed, I think you might have to raise your rank and scores.
Just UPenn isn't too hard, but PREMED is at least a bit harder.

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

does anyone know if there is a biomedical engineering major. if there is, is it harder or easier to get into than pre-med

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

if(720+750 == 1450)
{
boolean iamthewalruscannotcount = true;
System.out.println("Learn how to count");
}

Making fun of people is bad...but it's just too much fun. Even bad and stupid strings of java code are fun when you're making someone feel bad.

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 06:57 pm: Edit

my bad, V(730)

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

btw you can't major in premed. You need to pick a specific major. But i think your chances are pretty good.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page