With a 1450, low GPA, what colleges >50% chance?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: With a 1450, low GPA, what colleges >50% chance?
By clueless on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 06:45 pm: Edit

I don't feel like wasting 60-70 dollars on colleges I have no shot of getting in. I need to know which colleges I have greater than 50% of getting in. My Stats: I'm from florida, 1450(740M,710V); 3.0 UW,4.86W,rank 7/51, hardest schedule possible, good AP scores, I take the SAT IIs this week. Can anyone please evaluate if these colleges are worth my money.

University of Chicago
Tufts
Carnegie Mellon
UNC
Northwestern
Duke
Georgia Tech
University of Florida

By clueless on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 06:57 pm: Edit

bump,

By dasas on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:03 pm: Edit

uchic, if you work on essay really hard you WILL get in they actually value intellect not scores as much. don't apply to Duke, you have no chance unless ur SAT scoresd are in 750 range. others worth a try/ flori you have above 50%, Gtech above 50, others 30% but personally i would apply even with 30 %cuz thats still considerable odds

By clueless on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:08 pm: Edit

thanks, I wasn't really considering Duke.

By clueless on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Could U of Florida be my safety school? I don't think it matters at Public U, but my parents are alumni, brother and sister are currently enrolled there.

By clueless on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Are these worth the money?
University of Chicago
Tufts
Carnegie Mellon
UNC
Northwestern
Georgia Tech

vs. full ride at UF.

By Timmy1 on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:55 pm: Edit

yeh, it's a safety

By dasas on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 09:58 pm: Edit

It depends. what do you want to major in? Will an enviroment with highly intellectual peers help you learn better (think chic) or would you rather be in upper quartile work hard and play hard? It depends on individual. Are you considering comp sci? Then Carneige Mellon or Georgia Tech. Well you qualify for any financial aid? Do you like the weather. Its never an easy answer.

By pizzaluvr on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 10:04 pm: Edit

yes. you will be perfectly fine, even for duke. just have a superb essay.
HINT: declare a major where u think nobody else will... you'd be surprised at how easy it is to change majors once you're in.
i know this 'cuz a friend of mine declared a major in meteorology for MIT (with only 16 other ppl), and i have a strong suspicion this may have been one of the deciding factors for letting him in despite his 1410 SAT score.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page