Intersting Ideas about Yale ed READ!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Intersting Ideas about Yale ed READ!!!!
By Nswisher64 (Nswisher64) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on if i would be able to get into Yale early decision. I'm just stressing over it a little bit.

One thing: my school doesn't offer AP classes, but I'm taking a few tests on my own... probably around 4 by the end of my senior year. I'm expecting probably all 4s. Right now I'm taking 5 Honors Classes. I'm strong in the classes I'm taking but I was put in Calc AB rather than BC because of a schedule conflict. Would this hurt my chances significantly? I attend a highly competitive private boarding/day school. Tell me what I should work on, in your opinion. I think the two things I have going for me is that I'm a pretty influential member of a boarding school community, and I also am editor of a comedy magazine started by a current Yale student who I was friends with. Should I play that in?

Grades:
3.7222 - Freshman (High Honors)
3.5333 - Sophomore (Honors) (I switched schools this year, explaining the small dip in grades)
* 4.0000 - Junior (Highest Honors)

No class rank/unannounced

SAT Score:
1500 (800 V, 700 M)

ACT Score:

AP Exams:
European History
U.S. History
Physics
Calc AB
Calc BC (maybe)

Governor's School in International Studies

Extracurricular Activities:
Residential Life Prefect (11th)
Admissions Commitee Ambassador (11th)
Admissions Commitee Voting Member (11th)
The Slip, (Comedy Magazine started by current Yale Student) Writer and Editor (11)
Residential Life Yearbook, Editor-In Chief/Founder (11)
Class Secretary (9th)
History Department Associate (11th)
Writer for Poetry Magazine(11)
Latin Club (10, 11)
Fantasy Football Club, Founder (11)
7v7 Lacrosse League team member (11)
Quiz Bowl (11
European History AP Study Class Member (11)
Church Youth Group Secretary (9) (Somewhat involved)

Sports:
JV Basketball - 9th
JV Soccer - 9th, 10th
JV Lacrosse - 9th, 10th
V Soccer - 11th
V Lacrosse - 11th

Music & Drama:
Concert Choir (9th, 10th)
Chamber Choir (11th)
Concert Band - Saxophone (9th)
District Band (9th)
District Choir (9th)
Musical (9th, 10th, 11th)
Play (11th)

Awards:
National Merit Scholarship Semi-Finalist (maybe - my scores should merit this)
Winner of a prestigious monetary grant at my school (11th)
School Character Award Honor Winner (10th)
Maxima Cum Laude - National Latin Exam (9th)
Community Service Prize (9th)
Computer Prize (9th)
History Prize - Honorable Mention (9th)
Drama Prize - Honorable Mention (9th)
Instumental Music Prize - Honorable Mention (9th)

Work Experience:
Counselor for a local summer Day Camp
Worked on occassion for local raspberry farm

Community Service:
Middle School Tutoring Program
MWA, local nature association, protects and monitors water purity
Playing Christmas Music on saxophone for random charity events
- Around 150 Hours

Hobbies:
Saxophone Player

By Daryl Sams on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I strongly doubt it...none of your ECs are particularly impressive, and while your scores are solid, they aren't enough to pull you through. What's more, your lack of SAT 2s/APs when many students will be applying with 4 or more of each AND higher SAT scores with equivalent ECs isn't going to help. Additionally, Yale is cutting back on ED;it's taking 25%, or less of its class early this year. Hopefully you're a transcendently gifted writer and your recommendations are superlative. Otherwise, I'd get to work on the remainder of your applications...

By nswisher64 on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:24 pm: Edit

I had the same worries, to be honest...

As for the SAT IIs, I haven't taken them yet, that's why I haven't included them. I'm expecting probably an average of about 740, but there's always the chance I will not hit this number.

I would give my extracurriculars a 7 out of 10. I may not be curing AIDS or building super-computers, but I am pursuing, with a passion, things that interest me - for example, I enjoy writing. Editor of the dorm yearbook and editor of the comedy magazine which I mentioned, I feel, are very solid ECs. I've written near 75 articles for the comedy magazine and I've poured myself into each one. No three words can accurately express the time or energy spent upon an extracurriclar activity. My other extracurriculars are strong too, I feel. For example, admissions commitee voting member is one of two students in the entire school who gets to vote on incoming students - very indicative of the responsibility I possess at my school. I think most colleges look for someone dediated to their own personal craft or interests and someone who pursues said interests with a passion, rather than students who accumulate random, albeit impressive, extracurricular activites that serve only to make the application appear better.

However, my naivete might show through with that last statement.

As for the APs, my school doesn't offer them. They only offer 'Honors' Courses, which I have taken for my entire high school career.

I'm a pretty strong writer, but unfortunately not 'transcendentally gifted' as you put it.

It's infinitely frustrating to have a dream you've been working hard at for the last four years to be dismissed by someone so quickly and flippantly. I'm sure a lot of people on this board agree with me.

Any more comments?

By psy on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:27 pm: Edit

do u not know that it is obvious that u can't get in? i mean, please! none of your stuff is quite that impressive. maybe u shouldn't aime that high

By nswisher64 on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:55 pm: Edit

All right, fair enough.

By sidmathur on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 08:50 pm: Edit

nswisher, please ignore what Daryl and psy have said to you..they are probably just jealous. I know people with lower scores than you and not as many ECs that have gotten into yale. I think you stand a pretty good chance especially since your school doesnt offer AP classes and u are still taking some AP exams. That is very impressive. Well, good luck!

By nswisher64 on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Thanks sidmathur... what I believe I need right now is just confidence, expecially heading into the SATs on Saturday. Hopefully I'll be lucky.

By Daryl Sams on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 09:56 pm: Edit

sidmathur...if he was applying to Princeton or Brown with those statistics/activities, I'd give him a solid shot. The problem is, he's not. Yale is drastically cutting down on early admits; last year several magnificently talented people with impressive statistics from my own school were deferred ED. This is not to say they weren't worthwhile applicants; it is to say that Yale is instituting a policy wherein early admittance is extremely, extremely, difficult. It is a policy decision and in no way indicative of the posters skills. But I am not jealous; I was uninterested in Yale and didn't apply there. My scores were higher. Beyond that, my intent is not to compete with the poster; but don't dismiss me or my opinions with some ill-informed claim of jealousy. I'm already at a fine school.

Please don't ignore what I said to you. I was not attempting to be a dream-crusher. Nor did I intend to come off as flippant. In any case, I stand by my critique; if your essays and recommendations are strong, you do have a shot. But to sit and wait for that large envelope and not think about your other applications might not be the best decision. Good luck on the SAT 2s; raise the bar for yourself and they might be the difference.

By nswisher64 on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Hey, you give a differing opinion and you're citing reasons for it, I have no problem with it and I appreciate your feedback. I never said I was looking for all praise here. Thanks for your opinion Sams... I'm also looking at Brown and Upenn, but I really want to go to Yale. And don't worry, I've been working on my other applications too - it's not like I've been blinded by the childish notion that magical picie dust or something stupid of that sort will get me into Yale.

By babydoll on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 12:15 am: Edit

nswisher, u have excellent stats, seriously! just write a good essay, and i think these other ppl are just jealous!!!

By grazer on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 08:44 am: Edit

Where are you guys getting the idea that Yale is cutting back on the percentage of the class that it is taking ED? Has it made an official announcement? Is that a rumor? I'd love to know. Thanks.

By nswisher64 on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 12:40 pm: Edit

I read (on their site, I believe) they aer cutting down ED applicants this year and getting rid of it next yeat. I guess a little research pays off.

By nswisher64 on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Does anyone else have anything to say about my stats? I have a year until college apps, so i have some room to work with here. Anything I could do to perhaps increase my chances?

By bump on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:50 pm: Edit

bump!

By bump on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 05:50 pm: Edit

bumpalicious

By uh on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:23 pm: Edit

why are you listing your middle school stats - you know they don't count, right? I mean, unless you cloned your mother and raised her as your sister when you were 6 or something...

By port on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:50 pm: Edit

I dont see any middle school stats? maybe you think middle school tutor is? i believe that means he tutors middle school students, not during middle school... why is everyone so negative on here?

By nswisher64 on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:27 pm: Edit

oh,, yeah perhaps i should clarify that. I go to a senior school, which is part of a three-school system. I spend about four hours a week tutoring children there. All the stuff there is ninth grade on.

By nswisher64 on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

er, i mean i tutor at the middle school as a senior. all my stats included on here are ninth grade on.

By bump on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:29 pm: Edit

bump

By bump on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:57 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page