WHERE'S IT GONNA BE FOLKS?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: WHERE'S IT GONNA BE FOLKS?
By Nittanybabe (Nittanybabe) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

17 y.o. Caucasian girl from middle-class home, currently a senior

GPA: 3.6
(Please don't scream at me, but what is the difference between weighted and unweighted? Thanks.)
SAT: 1380
ACT: 29
APs: English- 11th, 12th; History- 11th, 12th
Honors: English- 10th; Biology- 12th; Chemistry- 11th
(At my school you are only allowed to take a certain amount of honors classes per year. I think the max is three courses per year.)

ECs:
Varsity soccer
Varsity cheerleading (Co-captain)
Editor-in-chief of yearbook
Secretary of Varsity Club
National Honor Society
Equestrian for twelve years (This is my main passion and I have competed and placed in county and state shows)
4-H

Volunteering: Horse shows, 4-H activities (I have previously organized fundraisers for my local chapter), horse rescue, animal shelter, veterinary hospital, soup kitchen

Major: Pre-Vet

Now for the schools:
Penn State U Park (My first choice!)
University of MD
University of VA
Texas A&M (I have a legacy here)
University of TX
Dickinson
Goucher
Rutgers

(I know that most of my choices are in the Northeast, but I included two Texas schools because I was born and raised in Texas and my father and stepmother currently live there. Just thought I would include that explanation!)

Thanks for all of your advice!

By Istalam (Istalam) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

everything is good, but don't even dream of uva out of state.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Really work to raise your ACT or SAT! Retake the one you feel more confident about, or both. If you can just get that ACT above 30 and your SAT above 1400, you will have better chances. Are you in-state for Texas?

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

I would say you're pretty much in at all of those schools except UVA, which would be a real reach, just considering you're from out of state.

(I'm a parrot!)

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 01:15 am: Edit

don't listen to clickspring- your SATs are awesome. I would only retake them if you wanted to get into UVA and getting a 1400 or a 30 is not going to make u that much better off than a 1380, once your scores go up 100 points it really starts to make a difference. You are definately in at every other school. And what school do you go to in PA? I'm at upper dublin. Good luck!

By Nittanybabe (Nittanybabe) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

thanks for all of the advice! i thought it would be harder for me to get in to UT than it would UVA because of the whole top 10% thing they have, but oh well. it is not a huge deal. i pretty much figured uva would be out of reach and even my guidance counselor was a little hesistant when i told her that i was planning on applying. Xyz155 i am at lancaster catholic in lancaster!!

by the way- what is the difference between weighted/unweighted GPA? anyone? thanks =P

By Andrew (Andrew) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

weighted is where your high school gives you extra points for honors AP or advanced classe. Like basically if you get a B in an AP they count it as an A instead for your GPA number so instead of a 3 for that class you get a 4. Unweighted is where A is 4 and so on.

Hey Xyz155 - I got to La Salle and live near Upper Dubs. that's cool.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page