Please help...MIT is my first choice.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Please help...MIT is my first choice.
By Blurredepiphany (Blurredepiphany) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

MIT has always been my #1 choice. I know there are some areas that I need to work on, and I will specify those. However, with this information, am I a viable candidate?

GPA: 4.2
SAT: - *I plan on taking it in October*
SAT II: Writing (I have yet to take), Physics, Math 1C, and History all in mid 600's. I have since then studied for all three. I am planning on raising all my scores above 700.

I have taken all the AP classes offered at our school with the exception of one which could not in any way be fit into my schedule.
AP Physics
AP Biology
AP History
AP Calculus

Honors Chemistry
Honors English (10, 11, and 12th grade)

I have also taken Drafting classes and four years of French.

E.C.:
Tennis (3)
Soccer (3)
Track (1)
Student Assistant Tennis Coach (1)
Middle School Assistant Swimming Coach (1)
*Due to an ACL injury, I was unable to play Varsity tennis my senior year. I played #1 singles. I have also communicated my interest in playing tennis at MIT. The coach and I have spoken and exchanged emails.
Varsity Club (3)
National Honor Society (2)
Yearbook Editor (Junior and Senior years)
SADD (Senior Representative) (3)
Peer Mediator (1)
Youth Leadership Group (3)
Toledo Zoo Volunteer (5) *Roughly 30 hours a month*
Relay for Life committee (4)
Lessons in Piano (11)
*Have received ratings of 1 in competition*
Lifeguard
Prom Committe (1) Chairperson
Swim Timer
USTA Tennis Member (District, Sectional, National ranking)

Awards:
Student of the Year: Yearbook, Civics, Drafting
Student of the Month (12 times)
Michigan Merit Award
Who's Who
Volunteer Award (Toledo Zoo)

It is my hope to study Aeronautics at MIT. Thank you for your considerations.

By Magenta (Magenta) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Your GPA and rank are right in there for MIT (after all, you can't do better than number one), but you will need to have your SAT's verbal in at least the 600's and your math and sciences for SAT I and IIs in the 700's, from what I can tell from those who have been accepted in recent years.

Your ECs are numerous, but that's typical for applicants to MIT today. In what competitions were you rated number one in piano? Lots of school have loved the yearbook or school paper editor EC, so it's good you have that, though I am not so sure MIT cares about that one as much as say Harvard (one friend of mine who graduated from Harvard said she was talking in a group one day and someone mentioned how they were the school paper editor and it turned out every single one of them was the editor for their school paper...weird).

Has the tennis coach been wooing you or just communicating with you? There is a difference. If the coach wants you, this could help quite a bit if tennis is like crew and some other sports at MIT.

One piece of advice I have is to drop the "Who's Who" from your list as I have never met an admissions person who doesn't laugh when they see that...it really taints an application rather than helps it, from what I can tell.

Good luck!

By Blurredepiphany (Blurredepiphany) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

I have received 1's in the District and State level. I have also accompanied other musicians for other pieces.
As for the tennis coach, she will help me. Although I am not her top recruit, I am right there.

By Blurredepiphany (Blurredepiphany) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 08:57 am: Edit

Bump

By Magenta (Magenta) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

I'm guessing you are female since the tennis coach you mention is female. I think that could be a bit of an edge, too. Again, good luck!

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 10:37 am: Edit

hmm... the girls tennis coach at our school is male

By Blurredepiphany (Blurredepiphany) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Actually the women's coach is Carol Matsuzaki. She is a newer coach. The men's tennis coach is male, his name is Jeff Hamilton. Perhaps you have those two confused?

By Magenta (Magenta) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

You mean Fairyofwind or me has the two confused? I actually don't know of any tennis coaches at MIT, but was just *guessing* that they would have a female for the female team and a male for the male team, as it looks like they do. Fairyofwind was just saying at whatever ever school she (again, I am guessing with that name the person is female) attends, the girls' tennis coach is male. I make lots of guesses, and usually state these as such (as I did above) and I am guessing there are a number of female teams with a male coach but not that many male teams with a female coach...just a hunch.

By Blurredepiphany (Blurredepiphany) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

That post was directed toward Fairyofwing. I must have read it wrong and was led to believe that they were contesting my post. I apologize.

By Blurredepiphany (Blurredepiphany) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

bump.

By Blurredepiphany (Blurredepiphany) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

Bump

By Blurredepiphany (Blurredepiphany) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page