NROTC help por favor

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: NROTC help por favor
By Concerned on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 12:25 am: Edit

I'm a senior applying for the NROTC scholarship... I'd really love to serve in the Navy, and I have good academic/EC credentials.
The only problem is, I suffer from back problems and am a bit out of shape (not overweight or anything like that, just haven't exercised much).
So supposing I started to exercise starting now through next summer, will I be OK by the time fall of freshman college year hits? Or is that not enough time?
From what I understand, they don't require "super" athletic capabilities, just up-to-par with the basics like push-ups, running, etc.

By please on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 08:23 pm: Edit

please?

By = on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 12:17 am: Edit

nobody cares =(

By Washer on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:30 am: Edit

hey, I was thinking of applying to a military academy and I think the requirements are pretty similar. I'm not sure, but if you take the scholarship, you may have to go into some Basic Training the summer BEFORE freshman year, so starting to exercise then wouldn't help. But just start running, 1 mile a day just to start, and build up. Do isometrics, you don't have to lift heavy, but just every night before bed do pushups, keep building up, to crunches, and if you can, get a bar and do chinups - I swear to god there is no greater exercise than chinups. If you are good at those, your entire upper body is good to go usually. But yeah, you don't have to be a super athlete, just build up - start small and get to harder workouts. By the time the PT starts, you should be good to go, and if you aren't up to par (50 pushups in 2 minutes minimum, under 18 minutes/2 miles minimum, 10 chin ups minimum, and a couple other weird exercises), then trust me, PT will get you there. But good luck with it, I'm glad some of us who are college bound are willing to fight for their country.

By Concerned on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 06:33 pm: Edit

thx washer, advice was very helpful

By bump on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 12:29 am: Edit

bump

By ... on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 04:45 pm: Edit

only one person cares?

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

I care, but it's too late now...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page