Not applying to Harvard, but need help anyway

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Not applying to Harvard, but need help anyway
By Sweetpeas (Sweetpeas) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

OK the schools I'm applying to may not be as good as some on this page, but I'm more concerned with earning scholarshp money. Here are my stats:
BACKGROUND: White female, rising senior at a small, all-girls school in NJ, interested in majoring in math and secondary education

SATS: 1380 (670 V, 710 M) 690 in Math 1C and Writing SAT II

GPA: 4.5 weighted, my school doesn't rank but I'm in the top 10%

COURSES/GRADES: Gotten mostly A's since Freshman year and taken almost all honors classes available, taking AP Calculus and AP History this year (my school only offers 4 ap's in total), been on the high honor roll every marking period in high school and in the National Honor Society
I've also taken a math course (Statistics 1) at the local college and gotten an A in it

ECS: Varsity Track (Indoor and Spring) since 9th grade (captain this year), Yearbook since 9th grade (assistant editor), Editor-in-chief of the literary magazine, selected by the faculty to mentor the new freshmen as a junior and senior

COMMMUNITY SERVICE/WORK: Have been a Sunday school teacher for the past 2 years, a student tutor at school for math and science, have had a part time job (10 hours a week) since junior year and have worked over 50 hours each week as a camp counselor for the past two summers

ESSAY/RECS: My essay's decent and my recs should be pretty good, because I'm close with my teachers

I'm looking at Bucknell, Villanova, Loyola in MD (matches), Providence, St. Joseph's University (safeties) and Washington University in St. Louis (reach). Any idea of my chances for acceptence and free money? Any suggestions for other schools to apply to? Thanks.

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 01:47 am: Edit

WUSTL is a good stretch school for you. it will be hard to get into, but your scores are in the range of normal. What do you plan on studying? It seems like maybe you're interested in the liberal arts? Another good stretch school may be Swarthmore or Haverford. I dunno. If you don't mind being far away from NJ, you might consider Claremont McKenna or Pomona. They are both highly selective (ESPECIALLY Pomona), but being from NJ should be to your advantage.

By Sweetpeas (Sweetpeas) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Thanks for replying. I know that WUSTL is a stretch, but my SATs are in their range and I figured why not? I'm thinking of doing a double major in mathematics and secondary education, so I can be a high school math teacher. If that doesn't work out I'd like to be a statistician. I've never heard of Claremont or Pomona. Where are they?

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

They're in California. I happen to think your SAT is just fine. But then again, re-taking it wouldn't hurt. WUSTL is hard to get into but not impossible, EC's are good. Rank/gpa excellent. With a killer essay, I say you should have no prob getting in. Good Luck.

Also, please see my thread at: " Harvard for a Hispanic" It's the one with the smiley face. and evaluate me, please. THANKS!

By Caldwellorbust (Caldwellorbust) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

sweetpeas:
have you ever considered caldwell college in nj? its a small liberal arts school...very close knit community...catholic background...if ur into that sort of thing. its great, once u get past these annoying schoolgirls that wear their skirts too high and like to point & laugh at my 1982 vw bug when i drive by. *sigh* i know its a reach...but what the hey, go for the gold baby!

p.s. its september 10...hope all your apps are in...caldwell college waits for no one!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page