What do you think?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: What do you think?
By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 12:11 am: Edit

Ok, no one read this the first time....let's try again.

Hello all:
First of all, I just want to admit that I too have succumbed to the ridiculous admissions craze that this website promotes. I think it's rather silly to be doing this, but...I was so tempted into posting that I couldn't resist. I figure it can't hurt to get other people's opinions... For all of you who are paranoid about getting into an Ivy League school-please read an essay in Atlantic Monthly (available on their website) called "Confessions of a Prep School Counselor" (or something like that). It's an excellent essay and brings some reason into why being obsessed with getting into an elite school is a big waste of time. Ok, so, I have applied EA to Georgetown's SFS. It is by far my first choice and always has been. I attend a fairly competitive (ok, well, its got a good reputation here...) Catholic school in Charleston, SC.

Academic Info:
SAT: 720V+680M=1400
ACT: 28 (I hope that by having submitted this, my chances won't actually be hurt)
Cum. GPA (as of last year which is all that Gtown has seen): 4.676
SAT II: French w/Listening 770
French: 710
US History: 700
Chemistry:690
Writing: 740
Junior Year AP: US His.: 5
Chemistry: 4
+Honors English, H Precal, H Theology, H French IV (this was the hardest curriculum offered)
Senior Year: AP English Lit, AP-AB Calculus, AP American Gov, H Theology, H Econ, H Physics (almost the hardest curriculum) + Russian 101/102 at College of Charleston two nights a week (have an A) (no French AP was offered this year)

Extra-Curricular:
Founded MUN last year+ am President (got first conference award this year)
Pres. of French Club+ recipient of Academic Award for French (one per course) every year+put that I am fluent in French on my application (I am no native by any means, but I can converse without difficulty)
Secretary of NHS
Municipal Youth Court Judge (I make real sentences for juvenile offenders, and have been an attorney for the past two years)
Weekly Piano lessons for 3 years
Active in Habitat
Youth Group Member ( I am doing weekly RCIA right now)
worked 10 hrs/week 10+11th grade
Summer'99: German Language Camp at Concordia Language Villages
Summer '00:Camp Seagull Leadership Program
Summer '01: Georgetown International Relations Program + Duke Tennis Camp (used savings)
Summer '02: Won full AFS Merit Scholarship (1 of 9 nationally, from over 1000 apps), spent 7 weeks on exchange with family in France +language camp

Ok, now that I have written my life story...what do y'all think??????? My essays were about getting MUN going and how religious conflict is an increasingly serious global issue. My experience essay was about France. I hope the essays don't hurt me...

Drew B.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Ok.......

By Emilyg9930 (Emilyg9930) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

all I have to say is...WOW...I'm sure you will get in...and by the way, good job in everything you've done...I'm so jealous!

By Art Vandalay on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Yeah and I'm a freakin neurosurgeon. Get outta here with your, "I've been an attorney for 2 years"....You need to go through law school and pass the Bar, AND be on record with the ABA. Stop posting your lies, liar!

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

That's funny....yeah, I suppose Youth Court sounds a little more serious than it really is...but it is a true court. It's a diversionary program...pretty successful, like 3% recitivism rate. I was promoted to judge this fall, but I really do sentence people, you know, throw the book at them.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 02:28 pm: Edit

bump it up

By asdf on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Say, that's a bit strange, and rather interesting, I might add. Could you possibly apprise me as to the particulars of being and becomming a "Youth court judge"? In my part of the world, positions of authority, such as the one you hold, aren't entruted to minor citizens.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 05:51 pm: Edit

I joined the Mt. Pleasant Youth Court in August 2000. Everyone takes a series of orientation sessions through August, which culminates in a mini-bar exam. All members have to take the test each year to be readmitted. I was an attorney for the past two years, both defense and prosecuting. You have to do 3 cases each on defense and prosecution before you can become a judge. Its under the jurisdiction of the county Family Court I believe. The whole purpose of the court is to be a diversionary program for first-time, non-violent, juvenile offenders. The court is entirely peer run (HS students only), so as to bring the criminal justice system a little closer to juvenile offenders. If defendants complete their sentence (usually community service/letters of apology/restitution/essays) the incident is removed from the record, but they can't come back to youth court the next time. The atmosphere of the court is very professional. There is a three judge panel, and almost all trials are plea-bargain arrangements. I think it's very effective. Most kids learn their lesson and it provides a place for a lot of kids to give back to the community by helping these kids stay on the right track. So to answer you question, this "position of authority" really isn't as serious as it sounds. Yes, its a real court, but we only deal with misdemeanors. It seems to be a great success to me.

By You Are Dumb As Toast on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 06:26 pm: Edit

asdf, this sort of thing exists and is perfectly legal, run a search through googol.

By Absurdistx (Absurdistx) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Yup, it does exist; we have it where I live. Though I don't think we do student judges...that sounds cool. And yeah, I definitely think you have a chance. Though if youíre not required to submit an ACT score, I donít know if I would. A 28 is equivalent to a 1250-1280. But no worries, I think that they'd overlook because of the 1400. Good luck!

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 04:14 pm: Edit

anyhow...any other thoughts?

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 05:08 pm: Edit

I am also applying to Tufts, GW, Dickinson, and William and Mary, along possibly with Claremont McKenna. Thoughts?

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:06 pm: Edit

bump

By Allison (Allison) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:01 pm: Edit

we have a youth court in my district/town, too. but anyways, i think your stats are very good, you have a lot going for you. your SATs might be a tad bit low (i don't proclaim to be an authority on any of this), but i'd say that you have a pretty good chance at gtown. good luck!

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 05:18 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page