Please give opinions on my chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Please give opinions on my chances
By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Please rate my chances for ba/md programs around the nation: BU, Rochester, Miami, Lehigh
Also undergrad I'm looking at: Stanford, USC, Yale, Cornell, WUSTL, UCSD

**NUMBERS**
SAT- n/a yet
ACT- 29 (1st time), 34 (second time)
SAT 2s- 720 writing, 600 chem (yuck), 780 math 2c
GPA- 3.86
RANK- top 10%

**ACTIVITIES**
Robotics (10-12), went to nationals 11 grade
Science Olympiad (10-12)
Varsity tennis (9-12) (letter each year)
Varsity Scholar's Bowl (9-12)
Student class treasurer 11 grade
Math competitions 11 grade (got some medals)
Have had two summer jobs in high school
230 hrs of community service at hospital
Taken a research class senior year. We study the fats in salmon, fries etc. We will get published after a little while (we do presentations to a medical board). We will develop new research (detecting levels of mercury in tuna and salmon and how they relate to cancer).

**MISC**
Probably will do a double major in college (chem, bio)
Interested in languages also

Bad thing:
all ap scores to date have been bad (we're talking 2s and one 3). I don't think I'll send them to college. How much will a lack of aps hurt me?

By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

bump. Any comments would be helpful.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Well, EC's are very impressive. SAT? You need a 1400+ after that you're in the green. Rank and SAT II are great. Send the AP ( at leas the 3). These tests scores are unofficial and not required, so I would send that 3. We really need that SAT to fully evaluat, but as it is now you have a decent shot. Write fantastic essays and get great rec's. I completely see you getting into several of the reaches.

By Ageorgis (Ageorgis) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:34 pm: Edit

He has a 34 ACT, I don't think SAT scores are going to matter much, if at all. He probably doesn't even need an SAT score.

By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Thanks guys for the comments. They're greatly appreciated. Anyone else want to chip in?

Also, would the 600 hurt me a lot? I'm definitely gonna retake it but how much of an effect would it have if I didn't?

By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Forgot...

I got 9th place in Kansas on the national spanish exam.

By Ageorgis (Ageorgis) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

That 600 will hurt you a lot since that is what you plan on majoring in...

By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Yeah I will retake it.

Any more comments/criticisms?

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Retake the Chem. If you're going to be a chem major, you should score above 750, especially considering the schools you are applying to. If you think there is a chance for improvement, you might want to work to raise your Writing score above 750 as well. If you're already retaking the Chem, why not retake the writing at the same sitting?

Have you considered Northwestern's BA/MD program? It's super competitive, but it's one of the best.

By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Thx for the comments. I've considered Northwestern but I think it's too competitive for me.

Any more comments?

By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

bump.

By Texan (Texan) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

lack of SAT's i dont think will hurt you that much but i think that all the colleges have access to see them

By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

I'm taking the SATs this October. Also I forgot something: I took two classes at the local state university here and got As in both.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

I would reccomend just sending in your ACT scores because your 34 is plenty good for consideration at all the colleges you are applying to. Most colleges only require your ACTs alone or your SATs plus three SAT2s. This way, you won't have to go through the stress of taking your SAT1s and colleges won't see that 600 on your chem exam.

By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Do you think I have a reasonable shot at some ba/md programs?

By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

bumping my question

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 03:49 pm: Edit

mm lack of ap's wont really hurt , just do your best and get a 4 or 5 on the ap classes you do decide to take

its hard to tell with out your sat1 score , having that you can pretty much know where youll probably get in
your ec's are good not great but they are allright
try to re take that satII chem cus it can really hurt your chances at the ba/md programs
godd luck

check out my post it called: Seriously wich would YOU choose??
but dont answer to my actual post just answer to my stats listed below almost at the end of the post please tell me what do you think my chances are??

By Jamesblakefan (Jamesblakefan) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Thanks. Bump.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

dude you have stanford on you list, northwestern is DEFINITELY not more competitive than staford. But seriously your act is very high but your rank is bad. I mean top 10% is not what a school of that caliber expects. Plus BA/MD programs are ultra-hard to get into.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page