University of Rochester

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: University of Rochester
By Chadwilsonx (Chadwilsonx) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Does anyone know much about this school? I used to think this was RIT. Is it a good school? How does it compare with Cornell, UNC CH, W&M, Lehigh, and Bucknell?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 02:13 pm: Edit

The University of Rochester is a very good up-and-coming school. The administration set some tough goals for itself a few years back that have led to smaller classes, more merit scholarships and new investments in facilities. As a result, Rochester's academic reputation has been on the rise. Strongest programs are in the sciences but social sciences and music are also very good. There's a wide varieties of majors available - not typical of a school with only 5000 or so undergrads. Pulls strongly from New York State and surrounding states. Dorms are supposed to be very comfortable. Biggest negative, of course, is the weather: dress warmly. Average SAT ranges are 590-690 verbal and 620-710 math, with a 62% admit rate.

By Chadwilsonx (Chadwilsonx) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 02:19 pm: Edit

A 62% admit rate? That seems really high. I mean I have a 1460 SATI, and 3.9 w gpa, decent ec's. So do I have a pretty good chance of getting in? It seems strange for a school whose academic reputation is on the rise to have such a high admit rate.

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Yeah you'll get in no problem.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

it actually has a 50% rate. If you got one of their awards you get to apply for free.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

RIT is a design school - it's totally different from U of Rochester.

By Chadwilsonx (Chadwilsonx) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

What is a design school? How would you rate them compared with the schools mentioned in the first thread? Does anyone know if U Rochester has a good bio/chem dept? And for any school how can you find the ratings on individual depts. like bio and chem? Thanks.

By Chadwilsonx (Chadwilsonx) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:23 pm: Edit

I know that Rochester doesn't require the SATII's so I am wondering if my having taken them will give me a big advantage over others who haven't? Also... please share your opinions on U Rochester. Thanks.

By Jje (Jje) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

design school, RIT is engineering

By Nhkane (Nhkane) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

I live in the Rochester area and I agree on the weather. We have a saying that there are two seasons here: Winter and Construction. Snow usually starts in early November and doesn't end until late April, with the worst storms coming in March. 120+ inches of snow is not uncommon and going to school/work after 12 or so inches overnight isn't as well. Although they occassionally cancel classes if the wind chill gets to pretty low (negative numbers). The campus is "urban" although it is very close to the suburbs. The city is a disaster, I would avoid it if at all possible, there are plenty of things to do in the surrounding suburbs.

By Chadwilsonx (Chadwilsonx) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

With all the snow they get are there any decent ski areas close to Rochester?

By Nhfrenchie (Nhfrenchie) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 08:34 am: Edit

Bristol Mountain Located in Canandaigua, New York, Bristol Mountain has 32 trails.

About 40 minutes from UR. Mountain is OK with 1200' vertical. It does get crowded.

Haven't been there in about 8 years though. When we did, used to go almost every week for convenience. My kids learned to ski there.

PS. As for the city of Rochester, I've seen worse and I've seen better. As Nhkane indicated above, the "metro" area has plenty to offer. If you like biking, the Erie canal trail system is great. UR has easy access to biking trail system.

By Magenta (Magenta) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 09:27 am: Edit

Crypto86, I think you are mistaking RIT (Rochester Institute for Technology) for RISD (Rhode Island School of Design, one of the top if not the top design school in USA). While Jje calls it an engineering school, I think that is shorting it a bit as it has about 1,100 students who are deaf and hard-of-hearing (there are ~11,000 full-time students, so this is a good chunk of the student body) and I would guess most of those are in the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, which isn't a run of the mill engineering school I wouldn't suspect. RIT also has a film and animation school, a school of photographic arts and sciences, a school of design - which could be what through Crypto86 about the college itself being a design school - and business, liberal arts, and other schools.

By Magenta (Magenta) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 09:36 am: Edit

Chadwilsonx, there are books that rate undergraduate departments, such as RUGG'S Recommendations on the Colleges, 15th Edition, F. E. Rugg (1998) which has Harvey Mudd College's chemistry program ranked as number one in the nation (not sure if it still is in 2003, but it wouldn't surprise me...the only person I've known to graduate from there is one of the smartest people I've ever met, and one of the nicest and best looking, too). You can also check a graduate magazine (those usually list schools by department rather than overall top 50 colleges or the like) as it's pretty common for the strong graduate programs to also have strong undergraduate programs.

By Chadwilsonx (Chadwilsonx) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

Thanks for the great information, does anyone know if U Rochester's biology program is especially good?

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:21 pm: Edit

i was wondering about their biology program as well

By Magenta (Magenta) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

I can't tell you where University of Rochester's undergraduate biology program ranks, but I can tell you their graduate biology program (according to th 2003 Edition of U.S News Vest Graduate Schools) is tied #60 with 7 other schools (so somewhere between 60 and 67). SUNY-Stony Brook is 45th (again, tied with 8 other schools for that ranking), Cornell is tied with Columbia University (and 4 colleges outside NY) for number 29, Rockefeller University is number 8 (all on it's own - not tie there!) and that's the highest ranked biology department at the graduate level in the state of NY.

By Magenta (Magenta) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 02:35 pm: Edit

Oh, and someone might want to advise you if that is the sort of question that is appropriate to ask admissions versus try to research on your own (I am not certain it can't be learned on some credible website, and if it can be, I wouldn't ask admissions, but if it can't, then I think I would). Asking admissions a decent question from time to time shows an interest and they like that, but be sure the questions are decent ones that show you have done some research of your own first.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page