Get me into MIT!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Get me into MIT!!!
By Kylo (Kylo) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Hello, I realise that just about every other post on this board has the acronym "MIT" in the title, but I saw a gap so I decided to fill it in with another one. Basically I just wanted other members, who are equally concerned and knowledgable with college admissions, to consider my application. It may not be as impressive as others, but each college has certain predilections, and perhaps I have some of those. Here we go:

UW GPA: 3.98
SAT: 720 M, 710 V
I'm going to retake in Oct. I took this last one in May with 3 hours of sleep.
SAT II: US History 720, going to take Writing (no prob), Physics, and Math II in Nov. Will I be able to apply early decision if I take these in Nov?

Senior Year:
AP Physics
AP Chemistry
AP Calculus BC
AP Government
AP Economics
AP English
Computer Programming in C++

Completed:
AP U.S. History
Honors English 10, 11
Computer Prog. I, II

Extra Curriculurs:
Math Tutoring Association
Compete in Math League
Computer Club
Help with Senior Citizen/Church Dinners
Intramural floor hockey
Volunteer as assisstant sunday school teacher for 3 years
Volunteer work at soup kitchens, hospitals, etc. (30 hours)
Private Drum lessons
Cross Country (1 year)
Football (1 year)
National Honors Society
American Legion Boys State NY

Awards:
Bausch and Lomb Science Award (for excellence in Bio, Chem, and physics)
Clarkson Book Award
Spanish Excellence Award for 3 years
USAA National English Merit Award

I really want to go to MIT for physics. I've been studying up on relativity, quantum mechanics, and higher level math. I feel I could write a good Essay, and would be completing an interview (anyone know where I get the form/application?).

Oh well, let the critism roll in!

P.S. Got any suggestions for other good physics/math schools in the Northeast? Carnegie Mellon? RPI?

By Anduin (Anduin) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Your grades and schedule are very good. What was your score on the USAP test?

Please be a bit more specific about some more of your EC's in terms of years/hours. As it is now, you look a little like a serial joiner. The community service and various awards are real pluses. I'd say your biggest weakness is the fact that you do not present yourself as a leader in any way.

I don't know how November SAT's work with ED. You can find the application at the MIT website, I'm sure.

P.S. What other schools are you considering?

By Kylo (Kylo) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

I got a 4 on the USAP test. I'm also considering RPI, Carnegie Mellon, and anyplace that has a strong engineering/physics background (open to suggestions).

Does anyone know where to get that interview form and the list of alumni to interview from MIT? Also, to the poster above: What is a serial joiner? I'm not sure if you meant possible canidate or just average (bar code-like) MIT wannabe. Thanks.

By Quagmire (Quagmire) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

a serial joiner is a person who joins a bunch of clubs, but never goes to meetings. they just join for exactly what you're going for, a bunch of ecs.

also, you get ur interviewer assignment once you submit part I of the MIT application.

By Kylo (Kylo) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Well, I do go to the meetings. That brings up an interesting question: How do colleges know if you are a "serial joiner?" As for leadership, the Boys State program participants are chosen by the teachers, and it's a leadership program; therefore, my teachers must've seen something in me :)

By Quagmire (Quagmire) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

if you belong to a lot of clubs, but have no leadership positions, it is assumed you're a serial joiner. a person with thirty ecs' and no leadership positions in any probably doesn't participate

By Kylo (Kylo) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

bump

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:07 pm: Edit

maryland has one of the best physics programs in the country, you'll get in for sure and the head of the American College Physics Teachers association is this maryland teacher with the HUUUUUGE afro. I wish i could grow an afro like that, i'm trying but being white will definitely hurt my chances at growing an afro like that.

By Kylo (Kylo) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

"being white will definitely hurt my chances at growing an afro like that"

But it will increase your chances of getting hurt after you have the afro. :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page