Chances at Transferring to MIT,UPenn,Cornell,NYU.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances at Transferring to MIT,UPenn,Cornell,NYU.
By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:32 am: Edit

It's is somewhat Smiler to another Forum Question, But was no getting any responses, so I thought I rephrase it.

Could any one tell me if MIT, Cornell,Upenn,NYU expects, applicant's with a learn disability. I have ADD. I have take the SAT II: Chem. (800) MATHcII (800) Bio (800) Writing (800). My GPA is 3.32.I have many EC's. My High School transcript is very, very, very bad, Because I have just resonantly was diagnosed with ADD and can easily prove my diagnoses.

Second I was told no to mention ADD by many people in my application, because it is overused and could hurt me in admission process. Does MIT have a screening process that filters out the have form the have not?

I know that is not an excuse, but as you know or don't know, ADD makes it very, very hard for a person to concentrate and focus. Will having ADD affect my application at all, in other words will my application matched against the people who don't have any learn disability and the cream of the crop or will it be judged alone or other people, who present a similar case?

Lastly, could you tell me if my application will me competitive, even thaw I don't meet the minimum GPA required to be a competitive (3.5 for MIT don't know for the others) or tell me what are my chances on a 1-10 scale.

My EC's

Play the piano
Mcse (Microsoft certified system engineer)
A+
MCP (Microsoft certified Professional)
Mcsa (Microsoft certified system Administrator)
CCNP (Cisco certified network Professional)
CCNA (Cisco certified network Associate)
CCIE (Cisco certified internetwork Expert)
A very hard certification only 5000 in the whole word (CCIE). I have only passed the written exam.
Science Club
Received an Academic Scholarship
Tutored at my college: General Chemistry 2.

Volunteered at hospital= 90 hours

I don't know if work count as an EC, I have worked as a cashier, also at McDonnell's and as Store manager and Van Driver.

One more thing if you are wondering how I got the high SAT II scores, well simple I took them after I got on my med.'s. Also those certifications.

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

any one?

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 01:37 pm: Edit

any one?

By Tingtingclin (Tingtingclin) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

u are cool for mit if u aply for computer engineeirng, i am just wondering what college u are from or how u got those certificates.

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

I am currently at NYIT. To get these certification you can either go to a certified Computer school or a college, thaw all most no college offer these certifications. Most technical school are very good at teaching IT (Information Technology) and then if you feel up to it you can schedule the exam (Mcse is up to 8 tests) and if you pass them, then you get your certification. Do you thing I could get in MIT with a Computer Sciences or Chemical Engineering Major, because I am a Pre med. Student. If you are wondering why I got these certifications, because of economic reasons. I didn't want to live in minim wage. Thanks again

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Any one else?

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Could any one tell me my, Chance at transferring to MIT (either Chemical Engineering or Computer Sciences), Penn (Bioengineering), Cornell (Biology or chemistry) ?

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

come on, any one plz.

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:34 am: Edit

any one?

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 11:43 am: Edit

some one, any one?

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

any one?

By Dumbuket (Dumbuket) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 08:18 am: Edit

You were told not to mention your disability because it was overused? That just speaks to flaws in the advising and the application process. What if being tied to a board and smacked with a calf's leg was overused? Would that make it any easier to write your english essays? Just be honest in your essay, heartfelt, if possible, and open about your unique challenges and experiences, and you can be sure that your ADD stands out from other people's ADD. If your mentality about overusing the ADD is anything like your transfer mentality, though, (that is to say, highly tactical and with the focus placed more on marketing than on substance), you might want to reevaluate your reasons for wanting to transfer. After all, it's about more than just labeling, whether it's a disorder or a school.

Chew on that, Jahoosaphat!

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

thanks man, any one else.

By J2kplus (J2kplus) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

come any one plz.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page