CHANCES AT HAVERFORD

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: CHANCES AT HAVERFORD
By Exerful (Exerful) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 12:57 am: Edit

hey, i've posted here before, but i've changed my plan a little and was hoping to get some feedback. i'd really appreciate it if someone (anyone) could give me input on my chances of getting in haverford college if i apply ED. (the other schools on my list are nyu, vassar, rutgers, villanova, and lehigh)

here are my stats:
GPA: 3.87 (weighted), don't know UW
SAT: 1300 (660 M, 640V)
SAT II: Math 2C-640, Math 1C-670, will be taking writing, biology, and spanish in the fall
ACT: will be taking this in the fall also (and, knock on wood, i'm expecting to do better on this than the SAT)

my gpa is kind of low because my sophomore year grades were pretty crappy. i'm also not the greatest standardized test taker, so my SAT scores are also on the low side.

the classes i take are among the more difficult. all of my classes have been honors, with the exception of chemistry and calculus. my junior year, i took 3 AP classes (english language & comp, biology, and spanish language-- scored 3, 4, 4 respectively). my senior year, i'll be taking 5 APs -- music, spanish lit, english lit, psych, and stat.

i've been playing violin in the school orchestra since 9th grade (well, technically since 4th but that doesn't matter), and for my senior year, i've made the chamber orchestra, which one must audition for. also, i've been taking private lessons since 9th grade.

in school, i engage in a number of different activities. i'm part of the national honor society as well as the spanish honor society. i'm also a member in the musician's club, GASP (a gay and straight alliance), a natural helper, and a peer mediator. during my junior year, i held executive board positions in GASP and peer mediation, and my senior year, i will be co-president and co-vice president, respectively. i also run varsity track, winter and spring, but i am not an exceptional part of this team.

as for community service, i've been volunteering at a local hospital since my freshman year, and i also am vice-president of a local youth group, which takes part in community activities. i've done a bit of tutoring as well.

i do have paid work experience, where i started working august of 2002, and i worked throughout the school year (my junior year). generally, i worked 10 to 20 hours a week, but there was a time period where i was working 20+ hours a week. i took a leave of absence this august, so i could get my college apps done and whatnot.

alright, i think that's about it. if there's anything i've forgotten, just ask. i'm sorry that this was so long, but i'm anxious to know whether or not i'd be wasting my time applying early decision to haverford. any info would be of assistance. thanks so much again!

By Heyheyhoho (Heyheyhoho) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 02:46 am: Edit

You should definitely go ahead and apply to Haverford. It's a great school. With that said, it is insanely hard to get into. The fact that the school only has ~1000 can work for or against you. On one hand, they really look at you application, in hopes that you will fit into the Haverford community. At the same time, with classes of 400, it is impossible to admit that many kids. I think it would be a stretch for you (and anyone else). I will probably apply there as one of my two reaches [1450, 800/740, 3.8]. I'm not trying to make you feel crappy, as you have many strong qualities. Your community service looks great and your ECs also look strong. You need to let the admissions committee see why you are an asset to their school. I suggest that you look into slightly less competetive similar schools as well like Bryn Mawr (if you're a girl), Guillform (NC), Earlham (IN)

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:20 am: Edit

Make sure you interview at Haverford. They "strongly recommend" it, and require it if you're within 150 miles (I think) of its campus. Whoever interviews you writes an evaluation of you and it's the first page on your application. Best of luck to you.

-Jeff

By Exerful (Exerful) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

alrighty, thanks for the info!

anyone else?

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Guilford (NC), he meant.
And it looks like a reach for you, IMO, but I know as much as you do. You still have a chance, of course.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page