Strange Situation?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Strange Situation?
By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

I really don't know why i'm doing this. I really think you people waste your time telling people whether not they'll get in as it really means nothing. But, whatever here goes.

I'm a white male, irish, living in southwest florida, not Miami. I just hope that maybe a college admissions counselor can see how I stand out, but there could be many others with my situation.

I've only had 3 years of high school including this year, I am a senior. Between my parents and I there is constant acrimony, which is why i'm graduating prematurely. I really lost focus freshman and sophomore year. Sophomore year i went completely nuts and did absolutely no homework and was always out doing drugs or being at some raunchy place where people were shooting up in the next room.

I know im at least in the top 10% of my class. Im around the top 5%. I have a 4.16 weighted but i attend public school and they overinflate GPA'S giving you a 5 on a 4 scale for any honors/ap.

On my transcript It would say
Eng Honors 1 - A
French 1 - A
(skipped french II)
French III honors - A
Phys Sci. Honors- B
Alg. 2 Honors- B
Precalc Honors- B
Geom Honors - B
World Hist Hon Gift- A
Eng II Hon Gift- B
Chem I Honors- B
Bio 1 Honors- B
(online :( ) AP Us History- A

see i really needed to get away from the stupid kids i was hanging around and my parents and go to college as fast as i could. I mean i'd obviously get into UF honors and USF new college, so I never really cared. This happened last may, the guidance counselor told me that i could graduate early by taking one of the state's AP classes online. So i am now taking these classes this year.

AP junior Eng- A
Eng 4 hon(couldnt get ap schedule)- A
Govt hon A schedule / AP macro (A)
Calculus AB A
French 4 honors A
AP Art history A

so technically now i'm a senior. I wouldnt really much care until the begining of this year. My art teacher was really nice and told me that I should apply to UPenn. (She's an alumni, and i think she'd give me the interview. For some reason i'm her favorite student and she think's i act so cool and am off the wall- her words, that they should admit me. I really don't like to get my hopes up unless it will probably happen. I mean does anyone get in with 3 years of high school.

In the EC dept. I suppose i'm a little bit different than all of you. I have never participated in any school sponsored club, nor sport. I never held a leadership position.

I have an internship with a lawyer.
In 9th grade a was in a rigorous research program, however dropped as i dont want to maor in science.
10th grade i focused on aesthetics. I have played piano for a really long time but finally got into the hang of composition. I could send them a tape. It'd most likely be a good thing. I won an award for a piece, but i havent been doing it so long to get exposure. Ive done community service by myself at the dump. Im going to join NHS and all that gay stuff but i just couldnt before because i skipped junior year.

I guess my essays would be good. I'd probably talk about my wild lifestyle and how now im a quaker (if they'd care or i could but that in an essay or why i feel the need to leave high school.

SAT's

1300- 690 math 610 verbal
(sophmore year)

expecting in Nov SAT 1450-1500+..
have read like 30 books since.

Sat II's (expected)

Math IIC: 800
Writing: at least 700 closer to 800
World History: 800

i'll probably visit Penn (college) and Cornell (ag science) if it helps. I'd really want to apply ED/EA whatever to both if possibly and reject the other one on acceptance to one (if it works that way). Id do penn ed if i couldnt.

My reccomendations would be good, theyd come from a Penn alumni if it helps.

Well i've wasted 30 minutes. Just tell me. Am i wasting my time on cornell and penn. Do i stand any chance?

By Exerful (Exerful) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 01:03 am: Edit

hey, most schools look for a variety of things, which you seem to have, to an extent. i think you stand a reasonable chance of getting into Penn if you score 1400+ on your SATs. if you do, i think you'll definitely have a good chance at cornell, too.

By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

wow you mean they really wont care that i havent done like 500 ec's?

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 09:57 am: Edit

as long as you a few ECs which you have dedicated yourself to like, your piano playing, you'll be fine.

By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Wow, really? what should i focus on in my essays?

By Benedwodo (Benedwodo) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

guess i wont waste my time by evaluating your chances

By Serdu (Serdu) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Focus on an EC you love, let passion shine through!

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:07 pm: Edit

I find your post a bit odd. First you comment that people waste their time evaluating someone else's chances cause it "means nothing". Ok, your opinion is fair enough. But I do not get that you then go on to ask YOUR chances. Kinda strange indeed.

Your grades to date are ok, but not as high as many applicants will have who apply to the schools you are considering. Then, you list what you are taking this year, and while I very much commend you for your motivation to turn things around and make gains academically in an upward trend, you list the grades for these courses as fact when they are merely PREDICTIONS. It remains to be seen what your grades will be. Your current SAT score is a 1300, again decreasing the odds at Ivy schools, though not necessarily knocking you out, but definitely not in your plus column. You go on to again PREDICT your SAT 1 and 2 scores. Great that you are shooting for that. But how can someone rate your chances (which as you say yourself means nothing) when you want us to rate you on PREDICTED stats. Once you have a final SAT 1 and 2 and have more grades to evaluate you by, it still is hard to evaluate but at least it will be based on fact, not hopes.

By the way, Penn and Cornell are ED and you can only apply ot ONE of them early ,not both, as you seem unsure of this.

It is great you have a teacher who is an alum and can write you a recommendation. However, I cannot see her as the person who would interview you. First, is she an official alumni interviewer? Only someone who is signed up to conduct alumni interviews does them. An alum cannot just decide to interview you. She can write a rec for you, however. Even if she is an official alum interviewer, I think it would be unusual for her to do your interview (not your rec ,however). I am an alumni interviewer for a different college and we are told to NOT interview candidates we already know. It is meant to be an unbiased interview with someone you meet for the first time at the interview. Just sharing this with you.

As your stats currently stand, you could still apply for Penn or Cornell but you would really need to boost your test scores and grades, and ECs (which are weak for schools like these) and have stellar essays (and not on your wild lifestyle,I do not recommend that topic). However, go for your dreams but be realistic. Even with much higher stats than yours across the board, admission at these schools is very very difficult and you already do not have those stats. So, it would be best to find some schools that are really top notch but are better matches for your stats.

Susan

By Tlc3d (Tlc3d) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

No my grades are A's, ive been in school since july, that's what the school would see.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Congrats on those grades and for the upward trend...quite commendable. Where do you live in that you start school in JULY????? Oh yes, you did say Florida, but JULY? My daughter has many friends who live in Florida but they begin school in August.
Still your scores are predictions, so nobody can truly rate your chances without the real data.

Still wish you luck and the rest of what I posted above stands but I am glad your grades are rising. You have already gotten a report card and are finished a quarter? Wow. A marking period here is more like ten weeks.

Susan

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Congrats on those grades and for the upward trend...quite commendable. Where do you live in that you start school in JULY????? Oh yes, you did say Florida, but JULY? My daughter has many friends who live in Florida but they begin school in August.
Still your scores are predictions, so nobody can truly rate your chances without the real data.

Still wish you luck and the rest of what I posted above stands but I am glad your grades are rising. You have already gotten a report card and are finished a quarter? Wow. A marking period here is more like ten weeks.

Susan

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I'd say that your chances at most colleges would be slim---once any AdCom gets a whiff of the attitudes you expressed in your other thread.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page