Chances after high school?!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances after high school?!
By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

applying 10 schools
dartmouth, upenn, brown, georgtown
nyu, tufts, boston university, university of miami, gw university, and maybe--big maybe harvard, yale, princeton or stanford

brown so far is the place i want to go ED, i love it there, here are my stats:

SAT: 1450
verbal: 670
math:780

PSAT: 220 - nms semifinalist

SAT2: chem-590, bio-670, math-780, writing-720, american history-750

GPA:about 3.9 weighted, goning to be a junior
in top 10% of class, and this year plan to get into top5%

toughest scheduale - except no honors english
- skipped year in science and math

EC:
sports:
freshamn bball
jv bball
varsity bball 2years - all league 2x and all state once

varsity swimming 3x

- debate club 3x
- newspaper 2x
- key club 2x
- NHS - treasurer 2x

200+ hours of volenteer work at guiding eyes for the blind

summer: brown precollege program
and either brown or upenn this year

NYLC- in fall(national student leadership program) recommened by guidence counseler

just wondering thanks a lot peeps

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

bump

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

anyone

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

bump - come one

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

anyone??!?!

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

come on

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:55 pm: Edit

okay yopu do have a lack of ec's but your SAT score is good!! but! if ur thinking about majoring in science if i were you id re take the bio and chem Sat II , your class rank is good but i bet if you do make the 5 percent youll have a fair shot :)
keep working at it
please evaluate my chances from my stats at my post called:
Seriously wich one would YOU Choose??

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

wow, my ec's are lacking, how many do u need?!?!?!?! - i thought that the volenteering would be enough -- i forgot to mention 2x volenteer coach of he yac baseketball team

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Your ec's are fine. People on this board seem to think that everyone needs to be a "superman" (or woman) to apply to top schools. First off, colleges don't like it when you have too many ecs. I've heard stories during information sessions about applications they receive that include more outside activity hours per week than hours that are actually in a week. Admission officers are realistic, they understand people have lives outside of school and extracurriculars, your ecs are great and they show your a motivated individual. Amazing, unheard of ec's many give you a better GAURANTEE into the nation's top universities, but there are plenty of people attending schools like Cornell, Penn, even Harvard who are pretty laid back individuals ( i know someone accepted to harvard, brown and princeton who got A's and B's, played one sport, and was involved casually in clubs, thats it ).

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

wow, thanks alot, i dont know why i dont have a passion, i was all - state in ny in baseball, isnt that show passion or a specialty?!

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

bump - anyone else???

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:53 am: Edit

bump

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:57 am: Edit

I won't comment on your chances, but I'm just going to say...don't, repeat, don't go to NYLC this fall if you haven't paid for it yet. It is a waste of money and an extremely frivolous "EC." No one will be impressed by it and it certainly won't help you on your application. Decline if you still have the chance.

By Horseman (Horseman) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Crnchycereal, why do you saif NYLF is so bad? I went to the one in medicine and I enjoyed it there! It is a very good ec and helps you!

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

in my school, onlly 10 kids get recommended for it, so although in other schools it might not be to great, in mine, it counts as something worthwhile - at least thats what my guidance counsler told me

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 01:03 pm: Edit

I say that it isn't worthwhile because programs like this are never selective at all and are designed to make money. I can't tell you how many morons I met when I went there two summers ago. Your qualifications, furthermore, need only be average in order to be accepted. You don't even need a real "recommendation." You can call in for a SELF-NOMINATION and very easily get your name on the list. Send a check for about 1000 dollars, and you're in, that's it. It is not a real, meritous EC that can help you in the college app process. It will give you no real edge over any other applicant.

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 03:39 am: Edit

yeah i was invited to that and my dean told me that like a ton of people get invited and it would not help me at getting into college

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page