Chances at Brown RD w/ LOW SATs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances at Brown RD w/ LOW SATs
By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Ok I just got my Brown App in the mail, bent and creased down the center, of course :), and i was wondering what my chances are. first off the other schools im applying to are: Bates, Haverford, St. Mary's college in MD, and Loyola college in MD (Legacy). ok here goes:

GPA: 3.91 uw ; around 4.5 w (not really sure)
SAT I : 670 v 710 m (will retake one more time)
SAT II : writing, chem, math IIC in october...
APs: Chem 5, US Hist 5, Euro Hist 4. (4 APs this year)
ECs:
--my projects in school are weak, i really dont get along with the student body here, a bunch of closed-minded wannabe preps who view any sort of alternative lifestyle or culture etc. with utmost disdain, and criticize anyone who doesnt listen to the dave mathews band.

In School:
*Academic Team
*NHS
*Leadership Club (joke only meets 4 times a year)
*Senior Project Coordinator (lets me be creative)
*Lit Mag -- Senior Editor (really love)
*Bigger Brother Mentor
*Science Fair contestant/committee person
*After-school Lab TA for AP chem class
*Chem Tutor and "Homework club" tutor (part of NHS)
*Chain Maille Guild -- Artisan

Out of School:
*Independent music study. I taught myself guitar in 6th grade and have been playing at least 2 hours a day since. I also play the dulcimer, bass, and am currently trying to learn the piano.
*I play guitar, sing, and write songs for a garage band. I have played in 3 bands since freshamn year, and own recording equipment. I have recorded 15 independent solo songs, and have 2 "albums" (which i submitted as part of my english "creative project") --just mp3s burned onto cd-rs. i did design cover art too.
*In 9-10 grades i was really into skateboarding. my friends and i built our own skatepark in an ally out of wood and pvc pipes, which was really popular in the neighborhood. we even had people coming from other neighborhoods we didnt even know! :). During the summer after 10th grade some really bitchy parents made us take down the ramps, claiming the ally was thier property and that we had no right to put our "junk" on it. I have since kept my skateboarding to a minimum maybe and hour or 2 every two weeks. I started playing tennis with my dad and jogging to keep in shape.
*I write poems and short stories, and post them on the internet. I pretty much am the only person who really cares about the Lit Mag at school.

Community service/work:
*volunteer at nursing home
*worked at restaraunt

Awards:
*MD state distinguished scholar
*lots of school based academic awards
*AP scholar thing (important??)

I realize that asking what my chances are to any top tier school is pretty futile, considering this whole admissions process if really a crap shoot. But i really hope that i can get some advice on what i can do to highlight my achievements and maximize my chances of getting into brown. thanks for reading and putting up with my long post!! :) :) :)

PS - I've posted my stats in the past but didnt really go into detail or post my new senior activities.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

god i hate the expression "crap shot" what the hell does that even mean? Your scores may be a little low for brown but if you can emphasize in your essay how you're "different" from your classmates that'll help you. What Maryland county are you from. I know it's not MCPS cuz they don't rank.

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

im in private school in baltimore county, though i live in anne arundel. whats MCPS: montgomery county public school???

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page