Chances for Davidson, Wake Forest, Emory...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances for Davidson, Wake Forest, Emory...
By Suka110 (Suka110) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Well, I'm basically posting this because yesterday my father informed me that he's retiring and moving down to South Carolina when I graduate and that the only way he's paying for my college is if I attend one in the vicinity of the area he's at. So, all my plans of going to a nice liberal arts college in New England got flushed down the toilet. However, I did find a find some schools that I was interested in, now I'd just like to see if I could get into to some of them. When you're reading this please keep in mind that I go to a really, really crappy high school (there's a total of 300 kids in it) in backwoods Pennsylvania, and the place isn't exactly booming with opportunity.

White Female
GPA: 4.0 UW (Probably like a 4.2 or something weighted as we don't have any AP classes and only a few honors classes)
SAT: 1410 (710V/700M).
No SAT IIs yet but expect to get 650-750s on them.
I've taken the hardest courses available at my crappy High school. My school doesn't offer any A.P classes, but this year I'll be taking a few courses at a local college.
My school doesn't rank, but I'd be 1/60 if it did.

I've gotten a few highest GPA awards, but nothing really besides that.

My ECs are kind of weak, but I do put a lot of effort into the ones I have.

Band: Marching band (squad leader) and Orchestra band since 4th grade
Community Service club: Lots of involvement
Youth and Government
Junior Acheivement
Web Team (Webmaster of School website)
NHS
I tutor kids in my free time (without pay).
Recently, I (Last May) got a job at an Ice-cream shop.
My biggest E.C. is probably all the time I spend volunteering at the local Veteran's Home. This is really a big passion of mine, and I could probably write a nice essay about it.
And I'm not sure if this counts but I'm really big on web design, and have recently started charging for my work.

I'm really good friends with my teachers, so I'll have some really good recs, and I'm pretty sure my essays will be good as well.

Schools:
Duke University (Huge reach, I know)
Davidson College
Wake Forest University
Emory University
Georgia Tech
Clemson University
Furman University
University of South Carolina Columbia

Questions/Comments?

Thanks for reading/responding,
-Sarah

By Suka110 (Suka110) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Bump.

By Suka110 (Suka110) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 02:18 am: Edit

Anyone at all?

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:06 am: Edit

Are you from North Carolina?

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

"I go to a really, really crappy high school (there's a total of 300 kids in it) in backwoods Pennsylvania"

I personally hate to give evaluations, but you look rather good for USC (yes, the *other* USC), Clemson, and Furman; GT shouldn't be too hard to get into, either. Davidson is looking for national diversity, so your Pennsylvanian status should help you with that; they're probably an upper match, if not easier. Duke is definitely a reach, though not an impossible one, and I don't know enough about Wake and Emory's admissions policies to give any information on them, though I can say you're at least in the running for the former.

You might also want to check out Guilford College if you're interested in a good semi-safety LAC.

By Suka110 (Suka110) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Jugheadjones, no, I'm from Pennsylvania.

Aspirer42, thanks for responding. I always thought Davidson was one of the schools that liked to fill up it's spots with a certain number of NC residents, but I guess not. I looked at Guilford college, too, and I did like it a lot--more so than some of the bigger universities I had on my list. I really appreciate the reply.

By Andrew (Andrew) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

I'd say you're in at Wake Forest and Emory as long as you show that you're interested in going there. Like visiting and inquiring about their schools. Emory is big on that as evidenced by their US News comment about giving preference to kids who demonstrate interest in Emory and their information session. I think you're set there. Duke looks pretty good too(not that huge of a reach!) but no one ever knows about that school...

Hope this helps, good luck with everything.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page