Chances at William and Mary, Tufts

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances at William and Mary, Tufts
By Fmhstud83 (Fmhstud83) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 04:30 pm: Edit

academic
-4.1 GPA weighted
-strait A's throughout highschool
-rank 8 out of 398
-ACT-31
AP US history- 4
AP psychology-5
-700 writing sat II
-710 us history sat II
-Taking Math and Spanish Sat II when I get a chance

sports
9th-Tennis
9th-12th Track
10th-12th Football

misc.
President of the Class, senior year
Student Senate, senior year
NYLC summer of 11th
Geometry and Algebra tutor 11th-12th 20 hours

clubs
Key club, 9th-12th
Spanish Club, 9th-12th
Math Club, 9th-12th
President and founder of ACT Prep Club, 11th-12th
National Honor Society, 11th-12th (vicepres 12th)
-------------------------------------------------

I live in Colorado. What are my chances at William and Mary and Tufts? Thank you

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

I graduated from Tufts in May, so a few words: your extracurriculars look good - Tufts likes to see long-term committment to activites, instead of an assorted laundry list. The Tufts admissions matrix for 2006 (slightly outdated, but nonetheless helpful):

http://admissions.tufts.edu/admstat.htm

By your class rank, you have about a 40% chance of getting in. I don't know how ACT correlates to SAT, but you can guess at what your chances would be using that. All in all, I'd say that you have about a 50/50 or so shot of getting in - it will largely depend on how well you do your application, if you write both essays, get good recommendations, and make those essays good.

As William and Mary is a part of Virginia's state school system, it is more difficult to get in to coming from out of state. I don't know specifics on the admissions, but you probably stand a decent chance of getting in - not a safety as you are from Colorado, but still quite likely that you'll get in. If someone knows more about this subject, chime in.

By Fmhstud83 (Fmhstud83) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:43 am: Edit

The 25-75% ACT range is 26 to 31, so I'm good there. Should i fill out the application by hand or do it online? Also, I only took 2 AP classes my junior year, and I'm taking 2 my senior year. It's hard to take so many when I have other priorities. A girl from my school is also applying to Tufts, and she took 2 APs last year and is taking 4 APs this year! She doesn't do sports or student government however, so she has the time to take a harder schedule. Do you think they will look at both of our applications and say, "Wow, this girl is amazing, look at all of those APs! She's in. This other kid is a slacker, toss it!" lol, Thanks

By Fmhstud83 (Fmhstud83) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Ariesathena?

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Fmh:, sorry, haven't been on this site in a while. From what I've seen, they may actually value your application more - the extra 2 APs aren't going to hurt you hugely (you're still taking 4 APs and working hard), but the lack of ECs will pretty much doom anyone's chances at Tufts. I cannot emphasize enough how much Tufts really seems to value longstanding committments to something outside of school. Almost everyone I knew there had been doing something athletic or community oriented for many years before matriculating - lots of athletes, lots of community service, lots of dancers. I did not take AP History as a junior, but took AP chem instead, ran varsity track, and worked on a lit magazine - which Tufts apparently did not hold against me.

Take a deep breath and relax - I think Tufts usually accepts an average of two students per school (in that they accept twice as many students as there are schools on the accepted list), so her application won't influence your chances.

Lastly, good luck! :) Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page