For Engineering.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: For Engineering.
By Citrus (Citrus) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

I am a senior in high school, and I would like to study engineering in college (probably civil engineering). I am also thinking of a possible minor or even double major in music performance. I play the flute.

I am considering the following schools:

Reach: MIT, Cornell
Match: Northwestern, Carnegie Mellon, U. Virginia
Safety: RPI, Virginia Tech, WPI?

I am a white male from southern Rhode Island.

Stats:
SAT I: 800m, 740v
SAT II: 800 IIC, 800 writing, 720 bio-m (750 IC)
GPA: around 4.5 weighted, but it's weird because it's out of 4.66 for an A+ (97-100). A 4.0 is an A- (90-92). Honors/AP classes are weighted 2/3, and freshmen don't get weighted at all.
Class rank: 6/285
No AP tests yet, this year I will definitely take Calculus BC, and probably English Lit, English Language, and possibly Physics A.

Classes:
9th: Western Civ A, H Geometry, H English, Earth Science A, H French I, Band, Orchestra
10th: H Global Studies, H Algebra II, H English, Bio A, H French II, Band, Orchestra, Jazz Band
11th: AP US History, H Precalc, AP English, H Chemistry, H French III, Band, Orchestra, Chorus
12th: H International Relations, AP Calc BC, AP English, Physics 1A, H French IV, Band, Orchestra, Chorus, Vocal Jazz ensemble.

Extracurricular activities:
Note than in any state activity, it's Rhode Island, so it's not incredibly impressive....

National Honor Society (like that matters, although it invovles 33+ hours of community service per year)
National Merit commended so far (like that matters either, although I had a 236 PSAT).
Math Team (school got 2nd in the state for the past 2 years, I had top scoring freshman at the state playoff 3 years ago, individually I had 4th place overall 2 years ago, and 5th place last year.)
Science Olympiad during 10th grade only (had a conflict last year) and won a silver medal in an event
Academic Decathlon for 2 years, with a silver medal in math last year
Rhode Island All-State band/orchestra since 8th grade
Southern New England Honors Band last year
New England Band last year
Ocean State Youth Orchestra since 10th grade
School marching band since 6th grade, orchestra since 9th, just joined chorus last year, and I'll be in the vocal jazz ensemble this year.

I'm also part of The Organization (www.theorganization.tk)

I won the Rensselaer Medal at my school, as well as an award from the Society of Women Engineers(?). And a bunch of certificates from the school that no one really gives a crap about.

The past 2 summers I worked as a Jr. Counselor at a local environmental day camp affiliated with the University of Rhode Island.

And that's it. I think.

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 12:50 pm: Edit

You should surely get into all the match and safety schools and I think cornell is no way a reach with your stats,you will most probably get in cornell to.Mit, well you cant predict..Please eval my stats under also tell me what you think about WPI because even I am keeping it as a safety and are you an eastern state resident.

Chances at RPI,MIT,UMICH.

By Tingtingclin (Tingtingclin) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 12:58 pm: Edit

renssealer medal is not considered as award, it is given to every school , if u are th eonly one from ur school applied, then u are assured to get it. btu u are in for cornell and others, but might suffer if u do engineering major in college. you won't be top kids for engineering in schools aboved, but u will be able to get hgih GPA in college. u have great chance ot eb manager for engineering field, but if u want ot be leader in doing research sutff, not big chance. take ap physics c and see i fu liek the electromagnetic part . good luck. but mit , u have chance also, it is just u might suffer over there if u don't demonstrate ur math skill strongly. also, what state u are from? math team is not really impressive unless u win some national award, and most people know science olympiads in hs are ••••••••...good luck

By Chrisd (Chrisd) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Have you visited any of these schools? There's a lot of variation among them: Charlottesville VA and Troy NY could hardly be more different places. Your stats etc. look good for everywhere you've mentioned. Some of the schools have very little music opportunity though, e.g. WPI and RPI.

By Citrus (Citrus) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Thanks for the replies people.

I've visited several of these schools: I visited Cornell in April, and I just came back from visiting Carnegie Mellon, U. Virginia and Virginia Tech....I'm going to visit RPI on Tuesday, and I'll visit MIT and Northwestern around Columbus Day. So far, I've been to a couple different settings, and I've been pleased with most of them. What I don't want is a small place in the middle of nowhere with absolutely nothing to do.....at Cornell, UVA, and even Virginia Tech there were actual towns there; they weren't completely out in the boonies. Now I've driven through the Albany/Troy area, and it wasn't exactly the prettiest place....but I don't give all that much of a damn how a college looks; I'm more concerned about how a college feels and lives.

By Citrus (Citrus) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Bump?

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 04:29 pm: Edit

Ever thought about NC State University in Raleigh? Top notch for engineering. I know a freshman there who plans to major in electrical engineering and minor in music. Great location, too! UNC-CH and Duke are very close by, and students from all three campuses intermingle quite a bit.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page