Chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances?
By Washer50 (Washer50) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:17 pm: Edit

1500 SAT I - 800 Math, 700 Verbal
ugly SAT 2's: 740 Writing, 690 Math IC, 640 Chem
8.091 GPA (out of 9, weighted, it's weird) = ~Top 10%
AP US: 4
This year: AP Bio, AP Psych, AP Stats, Honors English, Honors Spanish, Economics (school only allows AP's to begin in Junior year, and the only AP offered is US???)
grades dropped to B's in Junior year, straight A's freshman and sophmore and first semester of senior year
School doesn't have Honor Society, valedictorian, class rank (can't favor one person over another should be our school motto, VERY P.C.)
VP of Class, Junior + Senior Year
PAWS Mediator (Mediation Program at school): 10, 11, 12
Serve on Business Technology and Education Advisory Board to city and state (youth rep): 10, 11, 12
Member of Debate Club: 10, 11, 12
Debate Commentator for School Newspaper: 11
Model UN: 11, 12
Nationally Ranked (#88 U19) Squash Player: 9, 10, 11, 12
New England Champs U19 Rugby Team (MSX Highlanders): 10, 11, 12 <--1st side starting flanker, sponsored by Target
Creator, President of School Rugby Club: 9, 10, 11, 12
Golf Team: 9, 10, 11, 12
Track Team (Indoor and Out): 9, 10, 11, 12
Hockey Team: 9
Christian Education (CE) Board Rep at Church: 9-12
Creator and Editor of CE Newsletter at Church: 9-12
Shelter Cooking every weekend: 9-12
Big Brother program: 12
Bell Choir at Church (tour around Boston area): 9-12
Church Youth group: 9-12
Internship at Boston University Finance Department: 11+12
Caddy (AA certified): 9-12
Sunday Sexton at my church: 10-12
Babysitter at local nursery: 9-12
Co-own and operate my own web design business, MixMedia: 9-12

loaded with EC's I'm told, but I'm not sure about my SAT II's and grades (straight A's, dropped in junior to B's across the board except a Business Law course, lol, taken the most rigorous courses, but the drop in junior year I think will hurt me). Would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks a lot!

P.S. Applying to most other Ivy's regular (except Brown), U Mich, Middlebury, BU, BC, Duke, UVA, U Chicago, Northwestern

32 ACT also (31 English, 34 Math, 32 Science, 32 Reading), also applying to Stanford regular -- I didn't play it up, but rugby is big for me, planning on playing for a D1 program (even though it isn't NCAA regulated, coachs still do some recruiting) - Strong legacy at Dartmouth if that helps my chances there at all

also, 4 fantastic teacher recommendations, people tell me very effective essays, school is well known and nationally renowned, class size is about 580

If colleges see my senior first term grades, and see an improvement (pulled by grades back up to straight A's), will they take that into account? For now, would appreciate feedback on my chances at Harvard and Yale. thanks

By u on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:43 pm: Edit

u

By grazer on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Washer -- don't take it personally that people don't answer. (I'm referring to your other thread). It's just that your case is kind of hard to call. Your SAT I is great and definitely Ivy league, but the SAT II is not, and the ACT also equates only to about a 1440 or so, which is good, but not great by Ivy standards. Have you tried the Academic Index -- somewhere on this site? It will give you a rough idea of your chances at the Ivies, especially Dartmouth. Yes, your legacy status will help there. I'd say you're at least in the ballpark for most of your schools, and a probable shoe-in for many -- i.e. BU, BC, Michigan. The bottom line is: no one holds a crystal ball. Check out the Academic Index Calculator and good luck.

By Liz on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Any particular reason why your grades dropped to B's?

By washer50 on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I had a nutty hard schedule to deal with - playing national tournament squash in the winter, which requires training like no other, I was playing national competitive rugby in the sping, which requires even more training, I became vp of my class, reassumed the presidency of my school rugby club, was playing varsity golf and running track, and maintaining all my other EC's - probably what put me over the edge was the VP of class and rugby presidency. And then combine that with all honors courses, it proved to be just a bit much for one year. I've now become aclimated to it all and have struck a balance, but taking it all on in junior year, the most important year for the college process, was too much. Long ass explanation there...

By grundle-b on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 10:07 pm: Edit

humping again

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page