Maybe it's not the end of the world after all? you tell me..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Maybe it's not the end of the world after all? you tell me..
By Berwd (Berwd) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 11:37 am: Edit

hey ya'll, i've had my heart set on berkeley since forever and i have just submitted my uc apps... only i don't feel so hot about my essay and stats (my heart rate isn't keeping up with me either *shrugs*) anyway, i was just wondering about my chances at cal or ucla.

scores are as follows: satI:710V 680M (i am definitely, definitely retaking this one and my practice test came out a 1500 =); satII: 710writing 710math2c 760bio; weighted gpa:4.13 (26 OUT OF 800); ecs: lab research, volunteer, orchestra; ap's: 5 on bio, 4 on us hist, taking chem, govt, eng, and calc
overall, i guess i've done ok for myself. i could've done hellyah better, but no excuses. trapped in the choices i've made, i guess i'll take whatever's coming, even if it is a berk or ucla rejection letter.

comments please. thanks =)

By Bernard on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 06:59 pm: Edit

First off,doing well on practice tests doesn't necessarily ensure doing well on the actual test.I got several 800's on the verbal sections and consistently got in the mid to high 600's on the math sections of the 10 Real SAT's. The results, my actual SAT score was 100 points less than my highest "real sat" score and 50 points below my lowest "real sat" score. So practice tests are not always an accurate indicator of your performance on the actual test (at least they weren't for me)

Your stats are pretty good and you have a good shot at getting into those schools if you're a california native. You still have a shot if you aren't, but berkley will be a reach.

Still, I'm not an admissions officer. I wish you good luck.

By asmof on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:40 pm: Edit

It's just the opposite for me... I find it harder to focus on the practice tests because they don't really matter and as a result most of my practice tests were about 100 pts below my actual SAT score(1490).

By Berwd (Berwd) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 08:12 pm: Edit

hm...speaking of practice sats, i heard that the princeton review courses intentionally give out harder ones at the beginning and easier ones at the end of their courses to make it seem like their suckers *ahem* students made at least some gains in their scores...is that true?

thanks bernard, i'll definitely need it...the uc campuses have gotten far more competitive with each successive class. i rem a time when my older sis had berkeley as a BACK UP! *shrugs*
how about those scores at pomona or usc? how do the other uc campuses rate in comparison to the top 2 (ie cal and ucla)?

thanks again

By dsaf on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Berwd,
You are RIGHT ON about Princeton Review! I took that class and on my first practice test I got a 1290, then the next one (which was a week later and after only one class session) I got a 1420! We had done barely anything in the first class accept introduce ourselves and talk about college and I improved 130 points! I had only suspected that they cheated until I read your post, but now I think they really do. Where did u hear it from?

By Cali on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Berwd,
Are you a Cali native? If so, then you've got a good chance. If not, you're done. It is MUCH MUCH harder to get in as an out of stater (almost if not harder than Harvard or Yale). UCLA and Berkeley are about the same in terms of how hard it is to get in. The rest of the schools are much easier. Just below Berkeley and UCLA are UC San Diego and UC Santa Barbara. Both are very good schools (especially San Diego), but UCSB is a serious party school. Also, UC Davis is a very good school. Just as good as San Diego for sure. You'd definitely get in Davis and San Diego with your scores, and they are very good schools.

By Berwd (Berwd) on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:03 am: Edit

yup, i am from cali but i'm still skeptical of my chances

anyway, i think it's a shame so many people shell out the hard-earned cash for bloated self-help classes when they can achieve the same 100pt increase with 20 bucks, a book, and a little dedication. personally i think that unless the princeton review guys serve you fine cheese and sparkling water at each sat session, give you a massage after each practice test, and cater to your every whim, it's not at all worth it
(in any case, i wouldn't be able to afford it)

cali - i thought the rankings were diff with cal on top,followed by ucla, san diego, irvine, davis, sb, sc, and merced. how significant are the essays to the UCs? can it determine your acceptance.. say with scores like mine?

thanks for the additional input guys

By Cali on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:09 am: Edit

Berwd,

I was speaking only about what I've heard and of reputation, so I'm not sure if their are other rankings. Anyway, UC schools look much more at GPA and SAT, SAT II than at essays. Actually, SAT II's are counted more heavily than SAT I and UC schools, so that's good news for you. If you get your SAT I over 1400, you're in definitely.

By mike on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:08 pm: Edit

yeah!! i also took the Princeton Review, after taking the SATs once, on the real SAT my best score after two tries was 1430, but then on my first Princeton Review course practice test it was a 1310, i was like what the ••••, but it does help, because i got up to 1560 on my third real SAT, which was the only one i took after Princeton Review

By its me on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:11 pm: Edit

You are in if you are in-state.

By Scott P on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:12 pm: Edit

I agree about the practice tests. I took all ten of the real SATs in that book and never got above a 780 on math and a 750 on verbal. I took the real one and got a 1600. You should definitely do better if you keep taking practice tests.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page