Need help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Need help
By Manowar (Manowar) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

my top 2 choice schools i am applying to are princeton and columbia. i would really appreciate it if ppl gave me their honest opinion of my chances of acceptance into these schools.

gpa: (estimating, dunno till sept.)
3.75 uw
3.95 weighted

SATI- 780m, 710v 1490 and i plan to retake
SATII-
MathIIC- 800
MathIC-740 (plan to retake)
Writing-800
USH-710

All AP/IB courses taken junior and senior year and 1 AP class taken in sophmore year.

AP scores
5- BC Calculus (5 for AB subscore)
5- English Language & Composition
4-Biology
4-Psychology
4-European History
3-U.S. History

my ec's arent that great and im lacking in leadership
EC's-
Concert Band
Orchestra
Member of a movement in the catholic church
Young Republicans Club
Anime Club
NHS
Community Service at Hospital (300hours)
Tutoring at school and in community

By Manowar (Manowar) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

also i don't know my exact rank yet but it's definetly somewhere in the top 10% of my class

By Plopfkop (Plopfkop) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Does it really matter what you get in math Ic if you got an 800 in math IIc. Seems somewhat redundant to me, not like you're going to report both of them to colleges.

By Manowar (Manowar) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

bump

By Geoff848 (Geoff848) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

yeah dont even bother retaking math 1c. You look ok to me.

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Member of a movement in the catholic church

can you elaborate on this please. im a roman catholic myself and am interested in what you mean by this.

By Manowar (Manowar) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

im a member of communion and liberation which is a movement in the catholic church. we're a lot like the franciscan brothers except communion and liberation was founded by students. its a lay movement in the church. and it started in italy in the 1950's and was officialy recognized by pope john paul II in 1982.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

That does make you stand out. Maybe an essay on that subject. Notice how someone immediately lit onto it?
Agree that a retake on the Math 1c is redundent. If you really want to do something in the SAT2 area, take another subject particularly in your area of interest, maybe bio or physics or English lit or World History. Or just leave it alone, or submit these scores, take the SAtIIs again after you submit, see how they pan out and send only for an improvement. Unless you are applying early, they won't really be looking at your app until after Christmas, and even then they'll update your file.
Both Columbia and Princeton are gambles even with perfect numbers. If you are from the NY/NJ area, it's even tougher. Start looking for some match and safety schools. Can't advise you until I know your interest. You seem equally good in math and english. Columbia's acceptance percentages (do the math yourself) are much, much better for those applying early so you might want to do that. Work on your essays and get an interesting contact who knows you well, perhaps from the church, write an additional rec since you are light on the extra curriculas. The name of the game is stand out from the crowd. Best wishes.

By Manowar (Manowar) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 08:26 pm: Edit

thanks for the advice

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page