Kindly rate my Chances. Thankyou.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Kindly rate my Chances. Thankyou.
By Laniman (Laniman) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Hello. I'd like to know my chances of getting into the following schools:
Yale (I'd give anything to go to Yale (I'll apply E.D if I have to), Princeton, Harvard, Brown, Wharton, Stanford, Swarthmore, Grinnel

SAT 1580 (780V, 800M)
SAT II: 780 Writing, 780 Math, 790 Chemistry
Rank (Not sure, we didnt have ranks). Approximately in the top 20-30% or maybe 30-40% kindly give estimates for both, because my High School didn't issue ranks)

extra-curriculars:
9th in the state in the Science Olympiad (Out of 15000+)
Inter-School Cricket, Football, Table-Tennis. Inter-State Swimming
I'd regularly take part in intra-school activites like debates, elocutions etc.
Work Experience: Worked hard for 2 months with a big car company during a promotion for one of their cars.
About my essays..I guess I'll talk about my interest in Marketing and go on to my stint with the motor company.

Please be kind and let me know my chances. I'd really appreciate your help.
Thankyou

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 04:55 pm: Edit

play up ur ec's a little more.....ur scores are awesome....u definately have a good shot....my friend got into Princeton with a 1500 (although her Dad was an alumn)

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 05:01 pm: Edit

What's going to hurt you is your rank, or lack thereof. First of all, you're at a disadvantage because your school doesn't provide ranks. Secondly, you're hurt even more by the fact that you're not in the top 10%. Otherwise, I'd say your stats are pretty solid. Your scores are good and your ECs are strong. Just make sure to get really outstanding recs and write great essays. And BTW, Yale no longer offers ED, only single-choice EA.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Your rank is ~ 20%-30% with those stats??? Where the hell do you go to school!

By Acdbx (Acdbx) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Crypto86,

GPA != test scores

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

still when someone has a 1580 you wouldn't expect him to be in the middle of his class.

By Acdbx (Acdbx) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

What I see from this odd situation is that he's a really smart guy who doesn't try hard/respect school/teachers...or a freakishly competitive school.

By Firebird12637 (Firebird12637) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

"9th in the state in the Science Olympiad (Out of 15000+)"

dude, 15000 people do NOT participate in ONE event, in ONE state...dont lie about this stuff man

i think you mean "9th in the state, out of 30 teams(give or take 20, depending on ur state)"

im a silver medalist at nats, and I'm not putting down 15000, im only putting down the 54 teams that ACTUALLY competed...

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

I got a 1540 on the SAT, 218 on the PSAT, 5's on my 3 APs and have a 3.6 GPA rank ~200/600 class rank. Good scores don't necessarilly equate to good grades (or spelling). Also, not all schools weight grades, so my 3.6 and schedule of AP Calc, Lit, Music Theory, Spanish 4 and Advanced Physics is lower than the 3.8 w/ Basic Foods, Leisure Activities(its a class), Guitar, Contemporary literature (you read Steven King) and Marching band. Grrrrrrrr

By Laniman (Laniman) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Firebird, I'm saying 15000+ because I have friends who came in in the early 15000's.
Btw would work experience help in my application?

By Stressedmonkey (Stressedmonkey) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

For your EC's, I think you have enough since I'm assuming you are on the varsity team of those sports. Good scores too. What school you goto anyways??

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:37 am: Edit

Work to bring your senior grades up. You have to realize that grades and rank are #1 in college admissions. Just because you take a challenging courseload, doesn't mean you'll get into an amazing college. Admission officers want to see that you succeeded, above everyone else, in your classwork. Oh, and work experience is a giant, giant plus for ivy league or equivalent admission. I'd say that about 60-65% of all Ivy applicants have never had a job in their life. Admissions officers, who are more and less average people, love it when applicants have jobs- it shows they have iniative and have actually worked for something real in their lifetime. Overall (living just 20 minutes from Swarthmore), I'd say you're in there. Harvard, probably not, Wharton and Princeton, you have a good chance, Standford is a maybe along with Brown (they have the strangest admission processes there, i can never tell if someone will be accepted.) Good Luck!

By Laniman (Laniman) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Thanks! What about Yale EA?

By Laniman (Laniman) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:58 pm: Edit

And when you say I should get into Stanford etc. do you mean E.D or Regular?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

GPA is by no means the #1 factor because there is no standardization among high schools. Some schools weight grades, others don't. Some schools give A's easier and others have had no one graduate with a 4.0 in over 10 years because it is so hard. Colleges are forced to look at GPA's skeptically because they have nothing to compare it to. Similarly, criticizing anyone on this board because they don't have a 4.0 or a 5.0 or whatever is not valid because you have no idea how that person's GPA compares to the rest of the country. Different schools grade differently.

Also, lack of rank is not going to hurt anyone. The reason colleges take a look at rank is so they can see how you compare against the rest of your class. At a huge public school, that is one thing, but in a small private school it is completely different. This is because at the private school it can be very hard to be in the top 10% of your clas in a 500-100 student class especially when all of those kids are really smart and they all get good grades. At my school last year, for example, we had about 12 kids going to ivies out of a 60 student class not to mention those that were going to MIT, Stanford, and other such institutions. If ranking was a factor there would have been kids outside of the top 20% of the class getting into the schools that Lainman is mentioning. Colleges can't hold it against you that your school doesn't rank its students and if you go to a school that does whatever college you apply to will just look into other factors.

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 03:16 pm: Edit

You guys are being harsh on this guy.

Congratulations on your successes. Though most of your college list is a crapshoot, I'm sure you'll get into quite a few of your top choices.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 03:28 pm: Edit

I don't know if that is directed at me but if it is let me clarify. My point was that Lainman's supposed GPA and rank flaws are not as big of a deal as many on this board seem to think it is. I think that Lainman has a fairly good chance of getting into most the places he is applying but I really have no idea because at the places that he is applying, it is impossible to tell what the decision will be for anyone so I refrained from mentioning it in my first post.

By Laniman (Laniman) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:33 am: Edit

What about my chances at Yale (EA)? (Because
I hear that Yale takes nearly half of its freshman class early - its easier to get in early than it is to get in regular)
Would you recommend doing an engineering in Yale?

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:19 am: Edit

I've read in "Admissions Confidential" by Rachel Toor that lack of class rank can hurt. If adcoms can't tell if you're in the top 1% or 10%, they will look at your test scores instead to see how you stack up against the rest of the applicant pool. They do this assuming there is a direct correlation between test scores and class rank. Say you got a 1600 on the SAT, they will assume you are in the top 1% in your class in terms of test scores as well as grades. In other words, your 1600 will be looked at in comparison with scores of other kids applying from your school; if yours is one of the highest, they assume that you are also at the top in your school in terms of grades.

Unless you go to a hyper competitive school, it can be tough to get into the colleges you mentioned with that rank. But let's just cross our fingers and hopefully, your extracurricular record and test scores will make the difference.

My school doesn't rank either, but typically, we send 40% of each graduating class to the 8 Ivies, not including MIT, Stanford, University of Chicago, Northwestern, Duke, the prestigious liberal arts colleges, and so forth. It was extremely hard to get into this school in the first place...so even before school starts, I already feel very intimidated. I was number one in my former school but here I feel like I'm at the very bottom of the class.

Best of luck to you.

By Laniman (Laniman) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 05:10 am: Edit

Thankyou.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page